Martin Landau, dead at 89

Martin Landau died two days ago. Most news outlets immediately mention Mission: Impossible, but for me he'll always be Commander Koenig in Space 1999, the only "space-themed" Sci-Fi series broadcast on french TV in the 70s (there was no Star Trek here).  RIP. 

Comments

• Dr NickDr Nick Posts: 3,324
    Me too!!! Space 1999. Never understood it as a kid, but was fascinated. 

RIP.
  • AgrippaAgrippa Posts: 5,450
    edited July 17
    Yeah, but I do also remember him as "Leonard" in North by Northwest and his Bela Lugosi portrayal in Burtons "Ed Wood" which got him a deserved Oscar.
    AND he turned down the part as Spock in the first Star Trek shows.

But yeah, it's as Commander Koenig I'll remember him, too.

Loved that show as a kid, and Uli Jon Roth, I mean Christopher Lee, even had a guest appearance on that show.

Billedresultat for space 1999 christopher lee

Post edited by Agrippa on
  • HaffnerHaffner Posts: 7,171
    Agrippa said:
    Yeah, but I do also remember him as "Leonard" in North by Northwest and his Bela Lugosi portrayal in Burtons "Ed Wood" which got him a deserved Oscar.
    AND he turned down the part as Spock in the first Star Trek shows.

But yeah, it's as Commander Koenig I'll remember him, too.

Great movies, especially North By Northwest. But yeah, I used to watch Space 1999 too as a young boy. I thought it was pretty darn cool. Landau was great.
  • OskyOsky Posts: 824
    edited July 17
    Another sad loss...I remember him from Space 1999, a show which I wanted to like but it seemed too grown up and complicated for me. At the time I wished Gerry Anderson had stuck with the puppets, Thunderbirds, Capt, Scarlet, Joe 90 et all were way more exiting to me back then.
    Post edited by Osky on
  • HaffnerHaffner Posts: 7,171
    Osky said:
    Another sad loss...I remember him from Space 1999, a show which I wanted to like but it seemed too grown up and complicated for me. At the time I wished Gerry Anderson had stuck with the puppets, Thunderbirds, Capt, Scarlet, Joe 90 et all were way more exiting to me back then.

But...Doctor Who? ;)
  • Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 8,127
    Yeah I will always remember him most for 'Space 1999'. I used to watch that show with my Dad. He had a long career. RIP...
  • VandenbergVandenberg Posts: 3,697
    Commander Koenig all the way for me, RIP sir.. 
    Talking of Space 1999, do you remember the one scary as hell episode with the monster that cooked people inside it? evil episode.
  • Seven MoonsSeven Moons Posts: 7,898
    Commander Koenig all the way for me, RIP sir.. 
    Talking of Space 1999, do you remember the one scary as hell episode with the monster that cooked people inside it? evil episode.
    Yep! 

spdd1234.jpg 181.2K
    Haffner said:
    Osky said:

But...Doctor Who? ;)
    I was shit scared of Dr Who up until I was about 9 or 10 whereas I was well into Thunderbirds etc from age 4 or 5 upwards. I got over my fear of Dr Who around the time Tom Baker took over and did enjoy it for a time, but didnt rate his replacements in the 80s... some of his female assistants were rather errr 'inspirational' as a teenager tho!

• The SeekerThe Seeker Posts: 466
    Osky said:
    Haffner said:
    Osky said:

But...Doctor Who? ;)
    I was shit scared of Dr Who up until I was about 9 or 10 whereas I was well into Thunderbirds etc from age 4 or 5 upwards. I got over my fear of Dr Who around the time Tom Baker took over and did enjoy it for a time, but didnt rate his replacements in the 80s... some of his female assistants were rather errr 'inspirational' as a teenager tho!

You wouldn't mean Louise Jameson as Leela would you ?
  • SnoogansSnoogans Posts: 1,419
    The Seeker said:
    You wouldn't mean Louise Jameson as Leela would you ?
    As long as it wasn't Bonnie Langford.....

Louise Jameson = Yes
    Nicola Bryant = Yes
    Bonnie Langford = arrrghhh!!! pass the sick bucket quick!!!
  • pprovostpprovost Posts: 2,575
    According to IMDB, Deborah Watling, who was another one of the Dr Who companions, died today.

I think sometimes if you try to play too technically, you lose something in the music - like you're playing for another guitar player. I like to play for people. The more sophisticated and mature guitarists become, the more they go with the feel.

- Ritchie Blackmore