Top 10 influential albums

the recent lists, and resulting posts, of 100 best metal albums, etc, got me thinking about what do the site members here regard as their top ten influential albums?  i don't care about record sales, or magazine covers, both of which have been mentioned as inflencing other lists.  gimme your top ten records that influenced YOU as a player, listener, or both.

Comments

• HaffnerHaffner Posts: 7,300
    edited July 20

incomplete

Post edited by Haffner on
  • Seven MoonsSeven Moons Posts: 7,972
    edited July 13
    10 albums that influenced me as a musician (wannabe).  In more or less chronological order:  

1. Trust - s/t : when you're a 50-51 yr old french metalhead, very probably it all began at the age of 13-14 when you heard a couple of Trust songs, with Norbert "Nono" Krief. In my case: "L'élite" and "Préfabriqués". 

2. Pink Floyd - The Wall : I was already listening to Pink Floyd before all the other bands mentioned here, but without analyzing the guitar stuff in particular. Now, as Trust had made me aware of what an electric guitar could do, I started paying attention. And to this day, I still regard The Wall as a benchmark of melodic, tasteful, emotional guitar work. Gilmour is such a wonderful musician. 

3. Van Halen - s/t : The album that really made me pick a guitar. It was a shock. No need to explain why. 

4. Motörhead - Overkill : My gateway into fiercer music. These guys' sound, mystique and attitude were just on another level. I dare say it changed my world view, and made me learn to give the middle finger. From a guitar point of view, Fast Eddie Clarke will always be one of my early heroes: I love his twinturbocharged blues rock licks, and his red hot guitar tone. He's also much more melodic and memorable than he's generally given credit for. 

5. Judas Priest - Point Of Entry :  Riffs, riffs, riffs, tasty soloing and the best guitar tones my favorite guitar duo of Tipton&Downing ever had. My first concert too. At the same time, there were tons of exciting releases: I remember buying Saxon's Wheel of Steel and Maiden's first album the same day, for instance. My point of no return into full metal territory.  

6. Scorpions - Tokyo Tapes : "Lovedrive" and "Animal Magnetism" were my first Scorpions LPs, but a friend's older brother once advised me to check out their live album, as their earlier stuff was more intriguing and had stunning guitar work. Needless to say, my jaw dropped. This was the most incredible lead playing I had ever heard. The flow and expressiveness were godlike. Uli instantly became my superhero. I bought a wah, a fuzz, I even attached old hippie scarves to my strat's headstock (I couldn't find a feathered thing like on Uli's guitar). If someone had told me I would meet him in real life some 30 years later, I'd have probably fainted. :lol: 

7. The Michael Schenker Group - s/t :  This was obviously the other german shock in my guitar life, and it happened almost at the same time. I had started playing in a band, and my Uli+Michael obsessional worship made my mates laugh more often than not... 

8. Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell : I have an older uncle who's a massive 70s hard rock fan and record collector, and when I was a kid he introduced me to a number of classic bands, starting with Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Sabbath, Rainbow...  He gave me the Heaven And Hell LP, saying it would become a major classic. He was right. This album is when I really got into Tony Iommi's playing. In restrospect, I think Tony had really upped his game at that time. To this day, he's one of my top 3 players. 

9. Deep Purple - Deepest Purple : my introduction to Ritchie Blackmore. The album has most of the classics (Pictures of Home being the most glaring omission) and of course Blackmore's playing was superb and wonderfully inspiring.

10. Robin Trower - Victims of The Fury : following my Uli craze, I went back to Hendrix, and naturally discovered other Hendrix disciples...  Trower being one of the most original ones. I actually like this album more than the classic Bridge of Sighs. It's a bit further removed from the direct Hendrix influence, it rocks a bit harder, the guitar tone is a fantastic tar pit, and Trower's playing is at its tastiest. I don't know why people don't refer more often to Robin's finger vibrato, I think it's one of the best on Earth. 
    Post edited by Seven Moons on
  • OskyOsky Posts: 842
    edited July 13
    In approximate chronological order today I would pick these ...

1. Queen - (tie- cant choose between them) Sheer Heart Attack & A Night at The Opera
    2. Sweet - Strung Up (double LP half live half best of) + all their singles & B sides 1972 - 76
    3. Van Halen - 1st & Fair Warning (again cant separate them)
    4. Scorpions - Tokyo Tapes
    5. Gillan - Glory Road
    6. Billy Idol - Rebel Yell
    7. Hughes Thrall - 1st
    8. Living Colour - 1st
    9. Sex Pistols - Never Mind The Bollocks
    10 Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Majik

Bubbling Under...
    Thin Lizzy - Black Rose
    King Crimson - Discilpline and Beat
    Uli Roth - Firewind & Earthquake
    Rush - All The World's A Stage
    UFO - Strangers in The Night
    Frank Marino - Live
    Max Webster - Universal Juveniles
    Tin Machine  - 1 and 2
    Post edited by Osky on
    edited July 13
    Osky said:
    In approximate chronological order today I would pick these ...

1. Queen - (tie- cant choose between them) Sheer Heart Attack & A Night at The Opera
    2. Sweet - Strung Up (double LP half live half best of) + all their singles & B sides 1972 - 76
    3. Van Halen - 1st & Fair Warning (again cant separate them)
    4. Scorpions - Tokyo Tapes
    5. Gillan - Glory Road
    6. Billy Idol - Rebel Yell
    7. Hughes Thrall - 1st
    8. Living Colour - 1st
    9. Sex Pistols - Never Mind The Bollocks
    10 Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Majik

Bubbling Under...
    Thin Lizzy - Black Rose
    King Crimson - Discilpline and Beat
    Uli Roth - Firewind & Earthquake
    Rush - All The World's A Stage
    UFO - Strangers in The Night
    Frank Marino - Live
    Max Webster - Universal Juveniles
    Tin Machine  - 1 and 2

It's hard to not admire many of these choices, in part because more than a few are albums I've liked over the years as well. Hughes Thrall is at least a borderline classic, Rebel Yell a whole lot of fun, Living Colour...

Black Rose was one of those hard to keep off my list, but I already had plenty of heavy rock there.

• Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 16,008
    I had a thing for Greatest Hits, Live, and compilation albums in my formative years.  It was called lack of money.

This isn't just ONE list for me. 

I think the 10 albums that musically influenced me innately, and created my childhood melodic foundation -- BEFORE I ever knew I would end up playing were (in no particular order):

Elton John: Greatest Hits 1
    Elton John: Caribou
    The Beatles: 62-66 and 67-70 (the red and blue double album compilations)
    Paul Simon: Paul Simon
    Paul Simon: There Goes Rhymin' Simon
    The Beach Boys: Endless Summer
    Queen: A Day at the Races
    Queen: News of the World
    Meatloaf: Bat Out of Hell
    Aerosmith: Get your Wings

The 10 (also in no order) that made me want to BECOME a player and influenced my early years on bass would be:

Rolling Stones: Hot Rocks
    Rolling Stones: Hot Rocks II 
    Rolling Stones: Some Girls
    The Who: The Kids are Alright
    Kinks: Greatest Hits
    Cream: Disraeli Gears
    Cream: Live Vol. 2
    Jimi Hendrix: Smash Hits
    Led Zeppelin: II
    Led Zeppelin: IV

The 10 (also in no order) that probably influenced me most AS a GUITAR player -- stuff I can find in my own playing -- would likely be these:

Led Zeppelin: I'll pick II, but it could be any of them
    Black Sabbath: I'll pick Paranoid, but it could pretty much be any Iommi
    MSG: Live at Budokan
    Deep Purple: Deepest Purple
    Rainbow: Long Live Rock n Roll
    Thin Lizzy: Live and Dangerous
    Jeff Beck: There and Back
    AC/DC: Highway to Hell
    Gary Moore: Victims of the Future
    Accept: Metal Heart

Life is easier, so much easier, life is easier now.
  • cvansicklecvansickle Posts: 5,823
    No particular order:

Kiss - Destroyer
    Judas Priest - British Steel
    Cheap Trick - Heaven Tonight
    Van Halen - Van Halen
    Black Sabbath - Paranoid
    Led Zeppelin - II
    Rush - 2112
    Boston - Boston
    Paul McCartney and Wings - Venus and Mars
    MSG - One Night at Budokan

Ask me again tomorrow, it could be different!

Death Or Glory - Who Dares Wins!
  • SirionSirion Posts: 2,875
    edited July 13
    I can only answer like George Bernard Shaw: "[Shaw] Says that only people in a deplorably elementary stage of musical culture have favourite tunes and so forth, and he considers the question a monstrous insult."

Seriously, I have tried to make a list in my mind. Ten years ago I am sure it wouldn't have been a problem, but today I just can't. Too much music has been heard by this point, I'm afraid.

(No offense intended to those lucid enough to make a list; I just love that quote.)
    Post edited by Sirion on
  • LerxstFanLerxstFan Posts: 4,314
    Ten? Sheesh,that won't be easy. No particular order to these

1. Deep Purple - Perfect Strangers (or perhaps Rainbow Rising, so hard to choose)
    2. MSG - Budokon (Could go with UFO's Strangers)
    3. Judas Priest - Unleashed in the East (could easily pick British Steel as well)
    4. Boston - Boston
    5. Black Sabbath - Mob Rules (Just edges out Heaven and Hell for me)
    6. Iron Maiden - Piece of Mind (or Powerslave, or Killers or Number of the Beast)
    7. Dixie Dregs - Night of the Living Dregs (given to me by a friend and it changed my life)
    8. Pink Floyd - The Wall
    9. Thin Lizzy - Live and Dangerous
    10. Rush - Exit Stage Left (or literally any album up to and including Signals)
  • bourbonsamuraibourbonsamurai Posts: 594
    1)  Kiss-- Destroyer
    Detroit Rock City/ Kings of the Nighttime World was and still is the greatest one-two punch of pure rock and roll i've ever heard in my life.  the sound of a bottle of Jack, a pack of Marlboros, and a coupla dangerous broads in the back seat of a 428 Cobra Jet Mustang.  HUGE guitar tone, too, which was partially accomplished by miking the soundboard on a seven foot Steinway piano that was in the same room as the amplifiers.  this sorta shit, chasing studio sounds with live gear, has become a repeated theme of my life.

2)  The Beatles--  A Hard Day's Night
    ENERGY explodes from this record from the first, famous chord on the title track.  i'm pretty sure my family regretted playing this for me as a child.  it made me want to do crazy things like jump off the roof into piles of leaves, make a ramp from plywood and my dad's parked car to jump my bike over, and later in life, probably join the Marines, be a bike messenger, go bungee jumping from hot air balloons, go on tour in a 30 year old Winnebago with $5 in my pocket at age 32, etc.  i blame A Hard Day's Night for ALL this shit, really.  still to this day, i hear that chord and i feel it in my bones.  it is the sound of fucking ADVENTURE.

3)  Rolling Stones--  Sticky Fingers
    the most complete and succinct rock and and roll vision of decadence ever grooved on one slab of wax.  Mick Taylor added some powerful stuff to the Jagger/Richards chemistry.  too powerful to last.  that era of the band was a rocket straight to hell.  i've snorted coke off many a drag queen fingernail listening to this record, haha.  help me baby, ain't no stranger!  Billy Preston's B3 on I Got The Blues, and Ry Cooder's slide guitar on Sister Morphine are instrumental highlights.  

4)  Ozzy--  Tribute
    i pick Tribute because it is really THE showcase for Randy.  you can feel that dude's unhinged, gleeful spirit and raw POWER in every note.  even his "mistakes" are glorious.  this has never been surpassed as a live guitar tour de force, IMO.  another tonal benchmark for me, here, too.  Randy's guitar sounds like a worked small block Chevy.

5)  Thin Lizzy--  Live and Dangerous
    what else can i say about this record that hasn't been said on this forum already?  if you're here, you know why it's on my list.  Phil's bass never sounded better, either.  maybe NO bass ever sounded this good.

i'll do another five later.  i gotta go to work.
  • Jay GJay G Posts: 2,542
    Listener for me and in no particular order.

Steve Miller Band - Fly Like an Eagle
    BTO - II
    Deep Purple - Made in Japan
    Rainbow - ST
    Black Sabbath - ST
    Cream - Disraeli Gears
    Eric Clapton - History
    BOC - Some Enchanted Evening
    Derek and the Dominoes - Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs
    Chicago - II

• Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 8,199
    edited July 14
    1.Iron Maiden-Piece Of Mind
    2. Van Halen-Fair Warning
    3. The Beatles-Abbey Road
    4. Thin Lizzy-Live and Dangerous
    5. Thin Lizzy-Jailbreak
    6. The Beatles-Revolver
    7. Armored Saint-Delirious Nomad
    8. Billy Joel-52nd Street
    9. MSG-Assault Attack
    10. Tie-Fates Warning-Awaken The Guardian/ Queensryche-Rage For Order
    Post edited by Duojett71 on
  • SanchoSancho Posts: 18,145
    In no particular order
    Iron Maiden - Piece Of Mind, the first metal album I bought. It set me on the path.
    Ozzy - Bark At The Moon, introduced me to the concept of the guitar hero.
    Slayer - Show No Mercy, speed kils!
    Roy Buchanan - Live Stock, emotion.
    Thin Lizzy - Live & Dangerous, pure class.
    Pink Floyd - The Wall, this one was really an eye opener.
    Motörhead - Another Perfect Day, introduced me to the wonder that is Motörhead.
    Pantera - Cowboys From Hell, reset metal for the future.
    Yngwie - Marching Out, raised the bar for everyone.
    Ted Nugent - Out Of Control, a compilation but maybe the most important one of the lot because it got me playing guitar again after a hiatus.

• SnoogansSnoogans Posts: 1,442

Randy's guitar sounds like a worked small block Chevy.

Quote Of The Week right there!

edited July 14
    Duojett71 said:
    1.Iron Maiden-Piece Of Mind
    2. Van Halen-Fair Warning
    3. The Beatles-Abbey Road
    4. Thin Lizzy-Live and Dangerous
    5. Thin Lizzy-Jailbreak
    6. The Beatles-Revolver
    7. Armored Saint-Delirious Nomad
    8. Billy Joel-52nd Street
    9. MSG-Assault Attack
    10. Tie-Fates Warning-Awaken The Guardian/ Queensryche-Rage For Order

52nd Street! My dad had that album when it came out...I can't believe I forgot that album for decades, "Bigshot" and the title track. My favorite Joel (not a big fan) by far. You also have my favorite Fates Warning up there, and glad to see somebody loves Revolver like I do. Great list (only thing I don't like is the Queensryche, but then for some weird reason I never clicked with them).

Bourbonsamurai that was my first Kiss album, plus God of Thunder came right after that amazing one-two.

• Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 16,008
    I asked Amy for hers. She said getting to 10 was agony.

Beatles: Revolver
    Elton John: Madman Across The Water/Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (tie)
    Stevie Wonder: Songs In The Key of Life
    Carole King: Tapestry
    Aretha Franklin:  Lady Soul/Young Gifted and Black/Sarah Vaughan- Deep Purple  (tie)
    Led Zeppelin: IV  (but all the Zeppelin to be honest)
    John Coltrane: A Love Supreme
    Steely Dan: Pretzel Logic/Katy Lied/Aja -- pick one
    Joni Mitchell: Court and Spark
    Rufus ft Chaka Khan: Rags To Rufus

Life is easier, so much easier, life is easier now.