Bruce Dickinson : Maiden Voyage by Joe Shooman

A biography on Bruce Dickinson should be an interesting read. The man has an opinion on everything and is quite erudite.
So how does this book hold up?
The good : very well written, pleasant to read with lots of input from Bruce and his entourage. You do get an image of the man, not just the rock star. Focuses on the music, not the shenanigans.
The not so good : the author is an unabashed Bruce fanboy so there is not a critical note in sight.
The bad : out of 388 pages total, about 100 are spent on Samson. Really? Even up to Popoff style track by track breakdowns of the albums...

Most shocking revelation : apparently, Maiden's albums haven't been mastered since A Matter Of Life And Death. I'm not 100% convinced the author fully understands what the mastering process entails, but it would sure explain a lot.

It's definitely worth a read but you have to take the gushing man-crush in stride.

Comments

• Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 16,008
    It's definitely worth a read but you have to take the gushing man-crush in stride.
    Shouldn't be a problem. I've got my own man-crush on Bruce.
    Life is easier, so much easier, life is easier now.
  • yngwie666yngwie666 Posts: 6,458
    I ordered this book before I saw this...Anyway, I think many guys would even let Nikki Sixx fuck their own wife to have Bruce Dickinson musical career, plus being a pilot, top 10 UK fencer, brewer...
    BTW, it doesn't seem to be available in Kindle format yet. :(
  • Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 8,199
    Sounds interesting. I will have to order a copy. I would be more interested in an autobiography. I like hearing the story told through the eyes and mind of the person the book is about. It gives you a more personal perspective and more insight into who that person is. I am reading Paul Stanley's book right now and it is really compelling and heartfelt.
    Yes, I thought Paul Stanley was quite honest and realistic, compared to other rock stars who talk about themselves as if they were in the same league as Led Zeppelin or the Beatles...
  • eduardoritoseduardoritos Posts: 2,808
    yngwie666 said:
    I ordered this book before I saw this...Anyway, I think many guys would even let Nikki Sixx fuck their own wife to have Bruce Dickinson musical career, plus being a pilot, top 10 UK fencer, brewer...
    History teacher and doctor...
  • Dr NickDr Nick Posts: 3,331
    Cool, I'll add it to my list. Always up for a good bio. The Shred book was a bit of a letdown. 
  • SanchoSancho Posts: 18,145
    I put the Shred book away when the bullshit became too deep to wade through.

This is a very decent bio but 100% criticism free. Bruce is the messiah, basically.
    edited July 14
    Sancho said:
    Bruce is the messiah, basically.

He's at least the real Dos Equis guy.  And I bet he sings much better than Jebus ever did.   I mean, you never hear anything about Jebus going: Scream for me Jerusalem! or Scream for me Galilee! Hell, Jebus never even played Rio. In fact, I don't think he ever played a room bigger than a club. 

Post edited by Dinosaur David B on
  • Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 8,199
    Sancho said:

He's at least the real Dos Equis guy.  And I bet he sings much better than Jebus ever did.   I mean, you never hear anything about Jebus going: Scream for me Jerusalem! or Scream for me Galilee! Hell, Jebus never even played Rio. In fact, I don't think he ever played a room bigger than a club. 

Hahahaha....no doubt. Dos Equis should actually replace the currrent guy with Bruce. I bet it would sell them a shit ton of more beer. I'd start drinking more of it......of course with Robinson's Trooper beer he would have to keep his endorsements in house.

Sancho said:

He was more into open air gigs, remember?

With the occasional foray into catering. Although no chips. 

I think I'll ger this for when I go on holiday in 2 weeks. Need something to read. 
    Apparently there's a Bruce Dickinson Autobiography due out soon. Could be good. 
    Yep. I have that one on preorder already. I hope he doesn't spend half the book yapping about Samson...
    ...which was almost as influential as Trapeze.
    If you go by the author of this book, Samson was the defining British metal band.
    Until Bruce Almighty joined up with Iron Maiden, obviously.