HELP Modernizing Your Catalog.

Comments

• HaffnerHaffner Posts: 7,887
    edited June 2017

When it comes to typical, not-particularly dynamic Rock/Metal (especially the heavier genres but not just)...I just got real honest with myself, understood the touchy feely thing mentioned above really wasn't that thrilling in many cases, and started on the road to accepting that mp3s will be fine in the future for satisfying my headbanging (the compression of an mp3 is fine for those genres, besides stuff like Beatles, etc.).

For genres that span a greater range (the classics, soundtracks, jazz and fusion) my collection won't go anywhere, period. To listen to, say, a work by Profokiev or John Coltrane's "Giant Steps" on mp3 is to cheat the heck out of oneself, there are too many wonderful and subtle things going on.

I took the inspiration from some of Dave's posts to root out the things I was keeping for CDs that weren't exactly "timeless" (for example, I'm not entirely sure why I have more than one Brain Drill cd), and have started to sell a bunch to put toward Lv2's completion.

But, you'll have to pry my Black Sabbath vinyl collection out of my cold, dead hands.....nothing like Master of Reality on vinyl.

Post edited by Haffner on
  • Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 17,748
    Haffner said:  nothing like Master of Reality on vinyl.
    Yeah, because you couldn't work with your weed on a jewel case, much less an mp3.
    In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
    Haffner said:  nothing like Master of Reality on vinyl.
    Yeah, because you couldn't work with your weed on a jewel case, much less an mp3.

LOL! You rule, Dave.
  • So let's clear some things up.

Just because I haven't posted in year, doesn't mean I am not one of you.
    I am not the enemy. 
    I have a paramount understanding of the romance inherent in the tangibles and their history. 
    Reread my original post, I mentioned that there were exceptions and specifically noted that the vinyl must stay.
    I get it.
    I'm on board.

I just don't want half of my new bedroom or living room to be a display room for thousands of small pieces of plastic that I and ONLY I will spend my precious time trying to keep from being an unsightly and filthy mess. I spend a larger than average amount of time "house-wifeing" my dear husband whom I do love entirely, but would like to spend my time doing other things. 

I have no issue at all with preserving selected physical CDs and other assorted accessories if they are chosen with a highly discerning process, and kept somewhere that is less ostentatious, distracting and obstacle creating than they are currently.

Now let's address this:
    jebbudda said:
    Jennifer is only interested in a small per cent age . She grabs her Van Halen , Johnny Winter , Montrose etc etc and they get lost , scratched and pretty much destroyed .

If I need to find Shawn Lane Powers of Ten or Chris Poland Chasing the Sun or Scotty Anderson they are right where I left them .

I can't help it the last two remaining copies of Aerosmith Rocks ended up in her car and are now Missing In Action .

Open a drawer in my kitchen and you will find loose Cds of  The Beatles , Black Keys , Prince etc . None of which play because they are all fucked up from being abused .

All my stuff is safe from destruction .

Most of this is just simply not true. 
    It isn't.
    Period.
    And I would also go a step further and suggest that Jebbudda's aforementioned care-taking of his own CDs is not as orderly as he would have  you believe. 
    Gimme a break. *rolls eyes....
    No, I am not interested in Scotty Anderson, Trio of Doom, or the first Aristocrats record. Those are absolutely left FAR away from my finger tips. 
    But should I ever want to hear some OHM, or I'm trying to find Virgin Killer, Paranoid, or the 1995 Joe Satriani that I love, I'm usually shit out of luck.
    Jeb seems to have developed this resenting idea or fantasy world about the care with which I bestow these treasures. That is also bullshit. 

At the end of the day, my thing is this:
    *I would like to move the vast majority of our music to a modern, simply accessed, system for listening in the house.
    *I would like to keep a turntable for vinyl.
    *I would advocate keeping "special" CDs in their physical forms because of treasured, tangible artwork, or because they are excruciatingly difficult to find electronically.
    *I would like to keep the number of those physical relics to a minimum so that they can be stored with ease, and not take up large amounts of our living or storage space.

• Osky, that's not bad. Get rid of at least the plastic case and that's a good start....
  • jebbuddajebbudda Posts: 5,030
    jebbudda said:
    I will be visiting Dave in August . 
    July, isn't it?

Yes . July . My bad .

( WARNING ) Post went way off subject and some ranting ensued .

I started looking at the stacks...and stacks...upon stacks of Cds that inhabit our bedroom .

Many are separated by genre in 3 ring binders . " Fusion " contains around 500 discs 90% which have been burned and given to me by my audiophile friends . I listen to everything and often offer my opinion to the guy that gave them to me . The vast majority of these Cds don't get played . Unless I have a particular need or really dig the music these Cds take up space .

I estimate I've downloaded 20% of my music collection . All my favorite stuff .

There was a time when I was constantly burning Cds for people . I was always giving out Cds to many of the young guitar players who I'd meet at my gigs . I have a strange obligation to make sure they hear Gary Moore ,Schenker ,Uli Trower and Frank Marino etc etc

( Ranting begins )  excerpts from a conversation :-1: 
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Beware those who pollute their minds with Steve Vai whammy wanks and the false promises of artificially inseminated guitar tone following the birth of the Line 6 false prophets  . 

God forbid the million string Ibanez freaks .

Baltimore & DC have spawned some horribly embarrassing " heavy " guitar bands devoid of anything other than the soul sucking pursuit of lifeless gear grinding riffs . Nothing organic grows . The glow of the tube amp has been replaced with an artificial digital drone .

Hollywood Computer Generated Guitar Tone : also known as HCGGT

( HCGGT ) * The sound made by chain smokers to maximize the amount of lung pudding expelled and clear the esophagus of phlegm during the first cough of the day .

The guitar player's nemesis ....The " SOUNDMAN " .....reveres the brilliance of the guitarist who has abandoned the "amplifier " and plugs into his HCGGT .  

Guitar players have always and forever been at odds with the soundman . Will cats stop chasing mice !? 

He comes with a smile on his face as he finally gets his wish to castrate and marginalize the DINO guitar player . 

( I do however understand the use of such items in the studio )  

I listened to a conversation defending HCGGT and the unprecedented advancements for recording&studio applications . Why not take advantage ?

The discussion became heated when the notion that tube amps are not only obsolete but inferior . Tubes are for rubes.

The discussion ended when one of the tube amp camp suggested the HCGGT converts obviously prefer condoms during sex .

I support air being pushed by speakers .  I'm convinced the sound the guitar produces and the proximity to the source creates the ultimate environment for the ears , hands and heart to cooperate with the brain hopefully finding a spiritual reservoir of imagination and creativity .  

Isn't it true that the sound we hear has a direct influence over what we actually play ?

Guthrie Govan for example , loves his technology but leaves it in the studio . Guthrie still insists on tubes and speakers when performing live in spite of the pressure to conform to the modern production values utilized by some of his collaborators ...and whining sound guys .

edited July 2017
    jebbudda said: I estimate I've downloaded 20% of my music collection . All my favorite stuff . 
    OK. So here are my recommendations for modernizing:

1. Equip your new dwelling with some kind of WIRELESS, bluetooth speaker system or systems.  There are a zillion options that range in complexity from household systems (complex), to per-room or portable devices (simpler). For example, I have an outdoor bluetooth speaker for when we're sitting outside. I have a travel size bluetooth speaker about the size of a tennis ball, that is absolutely perfect for streaming music hotel rooms.  I have a Sonos (NOT bluetooth) system inside, but it's generally louder than I need, and I hate their software. 

And at this point, don't buy more sound than you need. For example, don't buy a system that plays music really loud at audiophile quality, if you never listen really loud. You don't bring two full Marshall Stacks to the Cat's Eye pub.

2. Once you've done step 1, you can then stream any of your ripped, mp3s to those bluetooth speakers from your laptop or from your smartphone -- or I should say Jen's smartphone, cause you won't get one, you luddite. :p  I've been hearing "Jeb's voicemail box is full, and cannot accept anymore messages" for YEARS now.  The caveat is that the smart device -- phone or tablet, needs to have enough space to store your mp3s. this shouldn't be an issue with a laptop, but the laptop has to have bluetooth.

3. Invest in a Spotify or Pandora account. Try the free versions first. The beauty here is that MOST popular music -- and that includes MOST POPULAR DINO music and players are available via streaming. This means you don't necessarily have to waste space on your smart device for things that are readily available via streaming. You could reserve that space for your MP3s that are NOT available for streaming. BTW, your account with these services are also available from a web page interface, so you can drive them from a laptop as well. 
      Sidenote -- having recently moved from where I had switched from Comcast to FIOS, to where I now have Time Warner (no choice), I can safely say that FIOS is better/faster than Comcast, Time Warner and likely the others.  If you have a choice for the new home, FIOS is better/faster.

4. Keep your CDs handy, but out of the way. Box them up and keep them in your attic or basement. If you have an itch to hear something from the 80% that's not ripped, and not on a streaming service, dig it out, rip it, and add it to your digital library. 
    Look forward to seeing you in the 21st Century!  ;)
    Post edited by Dinosaur David B on
    In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
  • VenomboyVenomboy Posts: 3,601
    I have ripped 90% of my CD collection and have all the music stores in iTunes in the Cloud. I use my Apple TV hooked up to my stereo to listen to music in my living room. Pretty easy.

Jen, you could do this wherever you have a tv screen. Hook up a physical Apple TV to each screen. This is so you'll have a visual interface to choose the music. The AppleTV could be hooked up to an amp to drive the speakers in that room.

You could also get nice wireless bluetooth speakers and stream from any bluetooth enabled device that has access to your music.

There's many ways to achieve what you want. The first step is digitize all your CD's. 

I think you can do that with Roku, Amazon Firestick, and Googles thing, too, cant you?  
  • VenomboyVenomboy Posts: 3,601
    Yep. Just gotta choose your hardware interface that works the best for all your devices. 
  • Making those choices are way above my head. I'm happy to have you all hash that part out with Jeb, I've got other crap to do. I just want to be able to easily play music, all over the house, and be able to find any of it without spending 45 minutes and then giving up and playing whatever is already in the CD player.

I just want the vast majority of the CDs put "away."

The issue is, that we do not HAVE a "storage" area for 35 square feet of CDs. 

There is no attic.
    And we are moving to New Orleans. There are.... no "basements." We call that the Water Table.

So if we can spare the "important" ones, and put the rest on some sort of ":sound system" post 1995,that's all I'm lookin' for. 

Peace between us all.
    Preservation of the important tangibles.
    Music in the house. All the time.
    edited July 2017
    guitarrednfeathered said: The issue is, that we do not HAVE a "storage" area for 35 square feet of CDs. 

So rip them all once and copy the files on to USB hard drives. You can get 1 TB drives for $50. All your CDs will likely fit on ONE of them the size of a deck of cards. Then copy the one drive to another, and you'll be double backed up in the space of two decks of cards. Keep both in the house, or keep one off-site, in a safe deposit box, at a friend's house, Jeb's guitar case, your car's glove box, or whatever.  

I just upgraded my phone to one with 256GB of storage.  I was finally able to put ALL the music I OWN on it. Granted, I don't have TONs of music -- only about 7K songs.  It took up less than 30 GB of space on the phone.  The rest, I stream.   Plenty of people have a LOT more than me.

But again, ONE $50, 1 TB drive will hold roughly 200,000 songs or 17,000 hours of music. 

http://www.ilovememorycards.com/how-many-songs-can-1tb-hold.html

Post edited by Dinosaur David B on
  • jebbuddajebbudda Posts: 5,030
    I'm looking forward to checking out Dino Dave's set up .

My issue is disposing of the physical Cd . I'm not against transferring EVERYTHING to a better format .

I'm still hesitant to dispose of any Cd . I can see getting rid of some burned copies but not anything else .

The real issue is Cds cluttering the living space .
    edited July 2017
    jebbudda said:
    I'm looking forward to checking out Dino Dave's set up .

My issue is disposing of the physical Cd . I'm not against transferring EVERYTHING to a better format .

I'm still hesitant to dispose of any Cd . I can see getting rid of some burned copies but not anything else .

The real issue is Cds cluttering the living space .

I've had my problems with the living space thing. Plus, it really is super easy just to go to youtube (for instance) and find your song (in fact, these days I'm hearing more relatively high quality audio on that site)..

I've decided to keep all my favorite Dino (+Rock and Pop) cds, but am getting rid of the ones that remain, many of which I haven't listened to except once or twice. That latter constitutes about half of the hundreds I own.

My vinyl still ain't going anywhere. Nuh-uh.

edited July 2017

I basically posted some long winded rubbish. No surprise there!

deleted