Ritchie isolated tracks

2»

Comments

• HaffnerHaffner Posts: 7,809

I love the solo guitar tone on Burn; soundwise, the fact that it is so understated is part of its charm imo. You hear the Strat, not a box or carelessly 11-ed amp in front of it.

Though my favorite guitar lead tones remain on Roth's BTAS, Blackmore 69 to 80 and 84 will never go away for me. That Strat sound will always be my preferred by a good margin, only other in contention would by Iommi's leads from 70 to the early 80s (which of course is a set of SG sounds).

• Tatosh GuitarTatosh Guitar Posts: 1,711
    Haffner said:

I love the solo guitar tone on Burn; soundwise, the fact that it is so understated is part of its charm imo. You hear the Strat, not a box or carelessly 11-ed amp in front of it.

Though my favorite guitar lead tones remain on Roth's BTAS, Blackmore 69 to 80 and 84 will never go away for me. That Strat sound will always be my preferred by a good margin, only other in contention would by Iommi's leads from 70 to the early 80s (which of course is a set of SG sounds).

Truth. I was just listening to Rainbow's Live in Munich 77 last night and was amazed at those tones Ritchie was getting. he just sounded dangerous then. That in my book is the way a Strat should sound. And to me there just isn't anything wrong with the Burn solo and how it sounds.

I was also surprised of how much he influenced my playing, in ways I hadn't realized at all. I am by no ways saying that I sound like him, but there are small, subtle things that I always thought I had gotten from Yngwie or someone else. You know how he cleans up with his volume and plays small melodies between songs (or in the middle of them) or small classical pieces? I do that all the time when I play clean or unplugged. Big surprise for me.
  • Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 17,497
    edited April 2018
    Agrippa said:
    the sound on Burn is really thin and... well, awful.
    You can't really judge guitar sounds in isolation like this. Or any instrument for that matter.  They are EQ'd and mixed to work in the context of the rest of the mix, and may wall sound tonally lousy on their own.  Similarly, if you create this wonderful rich guitar sound in isolation, it may well not work in the rest of the mix.  A perfect example of this is any time you hear acoustic guitar in a band context when there are many other instruments playing at the same time.  An acoustic guitar produces so much frequency range that you typically have to cut enormous amounts out of it (including most of the lows) for it to sit well, and sound good in the mix.  Once you do that, those acoustic guitar tracks usually sound terrible in isolation. The lead sound on Burn is probably thin and harsh so it cuts through the mix.  We KNOW it sounds great in the context of the full song. 
    Post edited by Dinosaur David B on
    I ain't falling for no banana in the tailpipe.
  • MAdXMAdX Posts: 1,985
    g_string said:

I realized I didn't know Smoke On The Water note for note on the fretboard or really get inspired enough to actually post it online for the savagery of the internet to see until I saw these. Although I've had it engraved into my DNA by means of sound memory and listening experience. I still hit one wrong note. & hey, on the bends, I was feeling them, so isn't it okay to play it like me and not Ritchie? ;p

Also, I literally am fighting the guitar on the bends due to the super small (worn) frets Fender used in the 70s. I feel like the video gets that across. I like my vibrato on my Warmoth shredder with tall frets more. The frets are so worn, but the guitar sounds so killer and I'm scared to take it in and have it refretted out of fear that will alter the sound.

Good job!

I made this a while back before I had heard this isolated track. Always loved that solo, especially the rhythmic aspect of the phrases. 

• g_stringg_string Posts: 1,664
    edited April 2018
    Dope! I liked your performance more than mine =D I actually count 2 wrong notes in mine and of course I am literally holding on to the strings for dear life on the bends. I posted it cuz I thought I was fun to watch =D

Thumbs up on vibrato. Sound quality is good, you do a lot of recording?
    Post edited by g_string on
    "The whole point of music, from the beginning of time, is to be happy." - Robert Plant
  • MAdXMAdX Posts: 1,985
    g_string said:
    Dope! I liked your performance more than mine =D I actually count 2 wrong notes in mine and of course I am literally holding on to the strings for dear life on the bends. I posted it cuz I thought I was fun to watch =D

Thumbs up on vibrato. Sound quality is good, you do a lot of recording?
    Thanks man! 

I just downloaded the backing track from YouTube and recorded over it in Logic with one of the stock amp simulations. For these kind of recordings it sounds really good actually. I used the neck pickup coil split on my Les Paul to get as close to a Strat tone as possible. 
  • g_stringg_string Posts: 1,664
    I was inquiring about recording out of curiosity of finding someone to collaborate with riff writing/recording \m/ you've got chops dude, hate to see them go to waste ;p
    "The whole point of music, from the beginning of time, is to be happy." - Robert Plant
  • I've listened to a lot of isolated tracks of a number of guitar players and the thing I keep reminding myself is that crafting the songs is the difficult part.  I mean that in the sense that isolating their tracks really makes the guitarist more human and a lot less superstar to me.  Another thing I have to remind myself of is when certain things were recorded.  I learned guitar later in life and computer programs expedited my learning of the instrument a great deal.  Some times it causes me to judge quickly that something is actually quite simple and while it may be in today's hierarchy, at the time it was stretching and breaking new ground.      
    "These riffs were built to last a lifetime." Keith Richards B)

BDR-529  

Member:
    Squier Army
    Schecter Society

• eduardoritoseduardoritos Posts: 3,446
    g_string said:
    I was inquiring about recording out of curiosity of finding someone to collaborate with riff writing/recording \m/ you've got chops dude, hate to see them go to waste ;p
    If you want someone to collaborate... you'd find me!