Ritchie isolated tracks

Burn solo

Smoke solo

Highway Star

Space Truckin

I ain't falling for no banana in the tailpipe.

Comments

• MannyNixMannyNix Posts: 167
    Thank you!
  • mr_crowleymr_crowley Posts: 6,582
    edited June 2017
    That is some mean Strat tones! Damn!!

It really showcases how freakin' clean and well Ritchie played in those days. By now I've heard quite a few of the big names tracks isolated and this must be among the cleanest and tidiest of the bunch, very precise playing and with a very raw and unforgiving tone - I love Ritchie to begin with but always thought he sounded his playing sounded pretty reckless  and didn't think it would sound like this isolated, I imagined something more, maybe not sloppy, but a tad more chaotic and noisey for lack of better words. It is almost more impressive that he sound that raw and mean in the mix yet plays so clean. Sure says something about his attack and feel!

Thanks a lot for sharing this :) 
    Post edited by mr_crowley on
  • Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 17,493
    Yeah, listen to the touch and nuance on Smoke solo that's usually buried a bit in the mix.
    I ain't falling for no banana in the tailpipe.
  • Seven MoonsSeven Moons Posts: 8,701
    This is fantastic. 
  • MelodicGritMelodicGrit Posts: 584
    Excellence in action.  I'd love to hear isolated Uli tracks from the 70s...
  • Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,324
    edited June 2017
    Jesus....that "Highway Star" solo is nuts....the harmonizing is crazy, especially at the end.....he kind of intertwines the harmonies at different intervals.....at least that is how it sounded to me. Amazing.

....and yeah that "Smoke On The Water" solo sounds killer....and the nuances as Dave points out are really nice to hear when the track is soloed. The melodic content of that solo I always thought was brilliant. Never get tired of hearing it.
    Post edited by Duojett71 on
  • EugenicScumEugenicScum Posts: 5,321
    Damn, the Highway Star solo with the harmonies was incredible to hear but what impressed me more was the backing he plays for the Lord solo. It shows how advanced his right hand was getting. He also speeds up every now and then during his rhythm playing but it's all good in the mix. Towards the end he messes up too - that was funny!
    Check out my band: Bevar Sea
  • eduardoritoseduardoritos Posts: 3,446
    Not a perfect time in any rithm track, what pleases me more than Dime's or Petrucci's track so perfects that are boring.

Nice tone in all exmples. Good guide for a "how to sound like Ritchie Blackmore".
  • Tatosh GuitarTatosh Guitar Posts: 1,709
    Thank you for posting this. I really enjoyed it and was a real eye opener, to say the least.

I don't think the day would come when I could be more impressed by Ritchie, but man was I wrong. Highway Star and smoke in particular left me speechless. What a great player he was back in the day.

I had never noticed the rhythm playing under Lord's solo. He was a monster picker for sure. And I particularly love the fact that RB plays slightly loosier during the solo, then when it stops he pushes harder in order to be heard. He obviously understood dynamics and how to play in a band context. An art that I am afraid is pretty much lost these day.

I have probably heard smoke on the water enough times to say that I know the song very well, and is one of those solos that I ca pretty much play note for note, no doubt due to how melodic it is, But I was really impressed by all the little details that are usually lost in a band mix. Blackmore was a monster dino player for sure
  • eduardoritoseduardoritos Posts: 3,446
    Thank you for posting this. I really enjoyed it and was a real eye opener, to say the least.

I don't think the day would come when I could be more impressed by Ritchie, but man was I wrong. Highway Star and smoke in particular left me speechless. What a great player he was back in the day.

I had never noticed the rhythm playing under Lord's solo. He was a monster picker for sure. And I particularly love the fact that RB plays slightly loosier during the solo, then when it stops he pushes harder in order to be heard. He obviously understood dynamics and how to play in a band context. An art that I am afraid is pretty much lost these day.

I have probably heard smoke on the water enough times to say that I know the song very well, and is one of those solos that I ca pretty much play note for note, no doubt due to how melodic it is, But I was really impressed by all the little details that are usually lost in a band mix. Blackmore was a monster dino player for sure

Now, it's all about that gain, and playing hard and riffs imposible to remember and sing-along.
  • jebbuddajebbudda Posts: 5,030
    I'm glad this got posted .

Great Job !
  • bourbonsamuraibourbonsamurai Posts: 1,488
    that Burn solo is insane.  really great.  i remember watching Rainbow live on MTV, back when they broadcast saturday night concerts, and being thoroughly mind blown by Burn and Kill the King.  Ritchie was the first player i ever saw that looked and sounded like he was really trying to kill you dead with a guitar solo.
  • whoopass1whoopass1 Posts: 1,395
    These Are Awesome!
  • AgrippaAgrippa Posts: 5,872
    the sound on Burn is really thin and... well, awful.
    Good lesson to us all; what we need is not new pups, a better amp, better speakers or a new overdrive pedal, a neve mixer or whatever, what we need is just songwriting chops and sheer talent.
    I think we , most of us, could record better sounding tones on the gear we use every day, but who of us has Blackers talent ?

This surely doesn't alleviate my shameless Blackmore fanboi worship.

I do think he should have left the Rainbow legacy alone, but this here is just pure guitar magic.

thx for compiling, Eduardo.
  • g_stringg_string Posts: 1,664
    edited April 2018

I realized I didn't know Smoke On The Water note for note on the fretboard or really get inspired enough to actually post it online for the savagery of the internet to see until I saw these. Although I've had it engraved into my DNA by means of sound memory and listening experience. I still hit one wrong note. & hey, on the bends, I was feeling them, so isn't it okay to play it like me and not Ritchie? ;p

Also, I literally am fighting the guitar on the bends due to the super small (worn) frets Fender used in the 70s. I feel like the video gets that across. I like my vibrato on my Warmoth shredder with tall frets more. The frets are so worn, but the guitar sounds so killer and I'm scared to take it in and have it refretted out of fear that will alter the sound.

How the heck do I quote people on this forum software? Should we invest in vbulletin for Dave? ;p

[quote]
    Agrippa said:

the sound on Burn is really thin and... well, awful.
    [/quote]

That's exactly why I was fascinated by it. I mirror my relationship with electric guitar tone to that of a wailing demonic screech that echoes around in my brain. Single coils are shrill, stick out at you, poke through in the mix. When I think single coil rock I think Ritchie Blackmore.

Post edited by g_string on
    "The whole point of music, from the beginning of time, is to be happy." - Robert Plant