Can Wah Wahs be repaired ?

jebbuddajebbudda Posts: 4,989
First of all I have NO mechanical ability . I believe I am genetically deficient .

Is it possible that someone with some knowledge or skill could repair the wah pedals that I destroy on a regular basis ?

The Zakk Wylde Signature hold up better than anything else I've tried but both are now fried .

They also sound great , especially with a heavy tone . I've tried tons of wah pedals and never found a " boutique " pedal I liked . The Dunlop/Cry Babies are my favorite by far but last me 4-6 months . The Wylde signatures last close to a year . Right now I have nothing .

What do you think ?

Keep buying new ones two at a time ?

Try to bring the dead ones back to life ?

Comments

• EugenicScumEugenicScum Posts: 5,092
    You can buy the potentiometer online easily if that's what you're damaging. Also, the contraption that connects the expression pedal with the potentiometer is probably breaking from heavy usage. Wah wah is a very basic pedal so it should be easy to fix.
    Check out my band: Bevar Sea
  • SirionSirion Posts: 2,821
    I know they are an investment, but have you considered getting a rack wah, and just have a remote control pedal? Dunlop makes the standard here:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/dunlop-cry-baby-rack-wah

I believe the pedals one uses with this will both be less prone to break (fewer components housed in the pedal itself) and probably easier to fix if it does break. The added ability to shape the tone would be an extra bonus.
  • Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 15,806
    edited June 16
    If Kevin's gonna fix it for you for free, replacing just the pot would be cheaper.  But if you use them a lot, they all wear out. 

In your shoes, what I'd probably do is have two pedals and a keep a supply of replacement pots around. That way, when one goes down you use the other one until Kevin replaces the pot. Of course when you go to N.O., he's not gonna be there, and you'll have to find a tech.
    Post edited by Dinosaur David B on
    Life is easier, so much easier, life is easier now.
  • AgrippaAgrippa Posts: 5,430
    I too got tired of retiring cry baby type wahs, have about six laying around, my vox  V847 A "chrome dome" is the ony one still holding up.
    I bought a Morley Lynch Dragon wah II a couple of years ago, and it still holds up well, I like the sound, I like the look, I like the way it switches on and off and the "wow" setting is exactly what I need for my 7 strings.
    It's "standard wah" sound is very reminiscent of a cry baby, but not exactly the same. If you have to have a cry baby sound, well it's not for you, I guess
    It's "notch knob", a fixed wah setting for "schenkerisms", is pure genius imo.

Just a suggestion.

• SanchoSancho Posts: 18,057
    How is the bypassed sound of the Morley?
  • yngwie666yngwie666 Posts: 6,423
    Sirion said:
    I know they are an investment, but have you considered getting a rack wah, and just have a remote control pedal? Dunlop makes the standard here:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/dunlop-cry-baby-rack-wah

I believe the pedals one uses with this will both be less prone to break (fewer components housed in the pedal itself) and probably easier to fix if it does break. The added ability to shape the tone would be an extra bonus.
    In this case the wha pedal still have mechanical elements (basically they are the same as volume pedals).
    You can find (at least in Europe) all the wha parts (pots, springs, inductors, feet, cover,...):
    https://www.banzaimusic.com/search.php?mode=search&page=1&keep_https=yes

However some items are so expensive that you'd better off with a second hand model.

• eduardoritoseduardoritos Posts: 2,716
  • AgrippaAgrippa Posts: 5,430
    Sancho said:
    How is the bypassed sound of the Morley?
    My experience with about ten Cry Baby's and only one Morley, tells me the Morley is less aparent in the signal path when turned off.
    As it should since it's "true by-pass", I believe.

Having said that, the thing I missed the most, going from Cry Babies to Morley, was in fact the slight "treble roll off" that the Cry Baby pedal have when in by pass mode.

I just reduced treble/prescence om my amps and I was OK.
    I love that pedal.
    Demo here: