Huge technique improvement.

After almost 25 years playing, I am noticing improvements in my playing. For years, I seemed stuck on the same skill set, same speed, same scales.

The best I ever played, chops wise, was when I was around 21. I was playing with other people and had time to practice. And I was really focused on dissecting why things sounded the way they did.

Then life got in the way and I regressed to a more subdued level of technique. And I stayed like that for, like, decades.

In the past months I have refocused on practicing, at least by my standards. With a full time job and a marriage, that can be difficult, but luckily I have been able to squeeze some studying and practicing time on my schedule, and I am noticing great improvements.

Bend accuracy, picking, left hand reach, speed. I seem to be really improving in all of those things. I am finally seeing the light after all these years.

Big thanks to Dino Dave and Andy G, as well as all those who also contribute, because I have been reading their posts and really focusing on getting all I can on the subjects touched. Also, I have seen a lot of videos on YouTube and that seems to have really helped as well.

Just letting you guys know and a big thanks!

Comments

• Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 16,008
    I've spent the last 10 weeks moving from Boston to Brooklyn, so I haven't been playing, but I had been improving a LOT before that, and just yesterday got back to it. Daily practice at work will resume shortly, and with the new Chubtone strat due in June, I expect to be inspired to practice even more.  
    Life is easier, so much easier, life is easier now.
  • Tatosh GuitarTatosh Guitar Posts: 613
    I've spent the last 10 weeks moving from Boston to Brooklyn, so I haven't been playing, but I had been improving a LOT before that, and just yesterday got back to it. Daily practice at work will resume shortly, and with the new Chubtone strat due in June, I expect to be inspired to practice even more.  
    Inspiration plays a huge deal on my practice regime, and I have noticed that a big deal is that I have better tone now (better gear = better tone, usually) and with a good tone I can play forever. With a cheap amp, I get frustrated fast and just move on to something else. That's the main reason I no longer use my small practice amps, actually.
  • Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 16,008
    I actually don't practice through a real amp. At home, I practice through this:
    http://dinosaurrockguitar.com/node/1042

and at work, I practice through this:
    http://dinosaurrockguitar.com/node/980

Neither sounds particularly good compared to the real thing, but that doesn't matter much to me for practice.  For practice, I need the ability to work with backing tracks, metronomes etc. through headphones without disturbing others.
    Life is easier, so much easier, life is easier now.
  • jebbuddajebbudda Posts: 5,023
    After almost 25 years playing, I am noticing improvements in my playing.

Just letting you guys know and a big thanks!
    That is AWESOME !  Congratulations .

NEVER stop seeking your source(s) of inspiration . Some people never find one .

One of the awesome aspects of playing music is the timelessness . You can do it your ENTIRE life and actually get better the older you get .

Plus...it is something that money can't buy . In my experience ...things like music... are the commodities that really hold the key to happiness .

I wake up everyday with such gratitude for being so blessed . I get to play guitar all the TIME and now it pays my bills . For the past 5 years my only job has been guitar playing . I still can't believe it .

Once I got shit canned from Corporate America and wasn't forced to get up in the morning the opportunity to play unfolded . I had 35 years of guitar playing under my belt so I was ready to go .

I spent YEARS wondering if I had reached the pinnacle of my musical and especially my technical ability . I'd been practicing shit for decades and still couldn't do it .

Worst of all I was caught up in the Success = Money & Money = Happiness scenario . Add the girlfriends a few wives ....child support....divorce(s)....followed by a period of absolute debauchery resulting in a  7 month hospital stay . The doctors told my family & friends my chances of survival were " grim " . WTF!!!!

Nerve damage from being in bed for months on end resulted in my left arm withering .  I thought my guitar playing days were over . But once I started learning how to walk again things started to improve . That was in 2008 .

Today my playing is better than ever . I have more gigs than I can play . I've out grown my musical environment  . I need more like minded musicians to collaborate with . I want to learn more and get better .

I'm totally addicted to performing . It is SO much fun playing in front of people AND showing off the results of 40 years of guitar worship. 

In a few months from now I'll be setting up shop in New Orleans and let my gee-tar do the talkin' and see what happens . But I'll be back home to do some gigs . I need to make money and I can't even begin to understand how I tolerated working a " real " job . I could never go back . I can't believe I did it for so long and with such gusto .

The feeling your getting from making progress is addictive . Its also a release . I always believed my brain took a shit when I sat on the couch and practiced . I unloaded all my bullshit .

It makes me so happy to hear your success story .

Our Dino Community really does function to support those of us who find ourselves obsessing over guitar related issues other people just don't understand .

I hope your able to keep it up .  Even though you may have not actually had a guitar in your hands , music was still a presence in your life .

The next best thing to practice is LISTENING . I'm convinced your time spent " with " music over your adult life will manifest itself . The improvement you've experienced is PROOF that music has been following you around all these years . 

Keep it Up .

• Tatosh GuitarTatosh Guitar Posts: 613
    jebbudda said:
    That is AWESOME !  Congratulations .

NEVER stop seeking your source(s) of inspiration . Some people never find one .

Keep it Up .
    Thanks for the kind words. I am glad to see things are going your way as well. Have fun in New Orleans!!