Yngwie Malmsteen NJ May 5th 2017

2»

Comments

• Gunner4LifeGunner4Life Posts: 6,320
    He was singing some of the stuff
  • Dr NickDr Nick Posts: 3,619
    Saw him on the Odyssey tour - beyond awesome. 
    They did "I Surrender", and I WISH I had a copy of his version.
    Saw him with Mark Boals touring on "War to End All Wars", and still fantastic. Couldn't believe how good Mark was live - never warmed to him on record.
    Then caught him with Doogie White - who messed up You Don't Remember. Good show.
    Then saw him with Tim Owens - wasn't impressed. Playing was great, but it all felt forced. 
    And haven't bought any albums for years. Gave "Perpetual Burn" a go, but gave it away. Don't have anything past Unleash the Fury, and there are only 2-3 songs I ever listen to. Last album I liked as an entity was Facing the Animal. 
  • Nick LaytonNick Layton Posts: 737
    The last thing I want to hear or see is Yngwie singing....please make it stop. I don't think he can find any good singers that want to work with ("for") him or deal with April...
    But come on, you've got one of the greatest guitar players in the world and some no name bass player is singing the tunes?? Does that sense to anybody? Sad state of affairs.
  • Tatosh GuitarTatosh Guitar Posts: 2,016
    He was singing when I saw him, a couple years ago, along with the bass player and the keys guy.

I am glad I saw him, it was an interesting experience, but I really zoned out in a lot of tracks. It got boring after a while (and I actually loved the man's playing as a teen and I am still amazed by his technique.) and they really needed to have a real singer. I remember a couple guys asking before the gig If Owens was gonna show up. I knew better because I had been to Yngwie's press conference earlier that day and I knew that nobody else was gonna be on stage...

BTW, at the press conference I asked him what he preferred: Deep Purple or Rainbow. He gave me a wise ass response by saying that there were a lot of different versions of both bands and that I had to be more specific. So I said Purple with Blackmore vs Dio-era Rainbow. He then told me he couldn't choose since he loved them both too much...
    Like I said, I didn't buy tickets to hear a singer lol
  • SanchoSancho Posts: 18,678
    I saw him on the Fire & Ice tour. Was a little disappointed. Goran Edman isn't the most exciting singer and Yngwie's playing was sloppy.
    Haven't bothered since because I actually do want to hear him with a good singer and do some actual songs.
  • Tatosh GuitarTatosh Guitar Posts: 2,016
    Sancho said:
    I saw him on the Fire & Ice tour. Was a little disappointed. Goran Edman isn't the most exciting singer and Yngwie's playing was sloppy.
    Haven't bothered since because I actually do want to hear him with a good singer and do some actual songs.
    I would love to see him with Soto, Boals or Terrana. Heck, I would even settle for Edman. They really need an actual singer...
  • SanchoSancho Posts: 18,678
    I would love to see him with Soto, Boals or Terrana. Heck, I would even settle for Edman. They really need an actual singer...
    Edman would definitely be "settling", yeah. He was very underwhelming.
  • Nick LaytonNick Layton Posts: 737
    Based on what I read in the unofficial bio I don't think any of those singers would work with him again except maybe Boals. Never say never if the money is right though. I'm a songs guy, so even though hearing Yngwie rip it up is cool, I need good songs to last an entire concert and be happy...and having a good singer is a big part of making that work. But I'll reserve judgment until after the concert next week ;-)
  • Old SchoolOld School Posts: 763
    I was on a big Yngwie kick in the late '90's, and finally got to see him in 2001. Only concert I've ever left early. Not because he didn't play great, he did. But after 10 minutes, I had heard him run through every lick in his arsenal, seen all the leg kicks, watched him play with his teeth, play behind his back, and do several guitar tosses. And then it just repeated for the next 30 minutes, until I got bored and left.

Glad I got the chance to see him, but I don't need to go again. 

• MelodicGritMelodicGrit Posts: 627
    edited May 2017
    I saw YJM open for Triumph back in 86 or 87 in Syracuse.  I think it was the Trilogy tour?  I had heard of him but hadn't really heard him before then.  It was an onslaught of guitar playing like I'd never seen.  I don't remember the singer, which songs he played or anything other than relentless guitaring, posing, throwing, and a zillion perfectly played notes in a row.   I went out and bought all his stuff the next day.  Triumph had a fantastic show and some great songs, but if you were an aspiring guitarist at that time, Yngwie was like the "holy grail" of guitar playing.  Just leagues above everyone else.  However, in 2017 I'm of the opinion that I'd be better served listening to his 80s-early 90s material at home, rather than risk horrendous disappointment in seeing him live these days.  
    Post edited by MelodicGrit on
    You guys are brutal  =)
  • StitselStitsel Posts: 2,114
    I'm seeing him TONIGHT, here in Seattle..... :p