Yngwie Malmsteen NJ May 5th 2017

What can I say that you don't already know? He isn't as fat in person as he is in videos and pictures? Insane player, great show, I didn't even really bother with video I was just in total awe of his playing, I have never seen anything like that. I'd be lying if I said I was familiar with his catalog, I love his music but with the exception of Black Star, I Am a Viking, and I'll See the Light Tonight, I couldn't tell you the set list... But it was all awesome. I'll see him again, and get 25db ear plugs, 12db did squat  :s

One of the opening bands, Midnite Hellion, covered Sails of Charon, was great, one of my favorite songs.

Comments

• mr_crowleymr_crowley Posts: 6,581
    Sounds cool! Would love to see Yngwie. He swings by a festival I might be able to get to in August, now I am an even more eager to make that happen :) 
  • jebbuddajebbudda Posts: 5,030
    Big YJM fan . I got to see him in the late 80s & a couple times in the 90s . I even stood outside by the tour bus to get a guitar signed .

I saw him again maybe 10 years ago . YJM's playing was beyond repetitious  . I had enough after about 40 minutes and went home . It was one of the few concerts that I've walked out on .

There was a time when I couldn't get enough YJM . After 20 + years of being a fanboy I eventually reached my limit . I think I overdosed on Yngwie at some point .
  • Tatosh GuitarTatosh Guitar Posts: 1,693
    Saw him a couple years ago. repetitious is putting it mildly. He's a far cry from his Alcatrazz/Rising Force days. Astounding technique, but not much else.
  • Gunner4LifeGunner4Life Posts: 6,315
    Never saw him before... So I guess I don't have to go again  :p
  • SnoogansSnoogans Posts: 1,657
    Seen him three times. The first two, on the Odyssey and Eclipse tours were just jaw-dropping. The third time, about 7 or 8 years ago, was almost farcical. It was as if some overweight comic, like John Candy or Mel Smith, was doing a comedy sketch taking the piss out of rock guitarists.
    Well, by 2008, doing anything you did in 1988 or 89 looked ridiculous.

I'll be honest, the puffy shirt, the leather pants, the cowboy boots, the poses, the smoke machine, it did come off looking like the present day Burt Wonderstone, but I don't care, never saw him, so I was happy
  • jebbuddajebbudda Posts: 5,030
    Any self respecting guitar fan needs to see Yngwie at least once,
  • Nick LaytonNick Layton Posts: 731
    After all the years of being a fan I'm finally getting to see him live in two weeks. His playing is still awesome to me although I really only like the early records.
  • Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,318
    I saw him in '85 and then again in 2004 and 2007. He was amazing all 3 times. I would see him again if he would just come close to my area. I can see how some would say he is a parody....in 2004 he was pretty hefty....and the leg kicks were a bit much for a guy in his shape.....but the playing was so good that you looked past that. As a player I don't think he has lost anything. Personally I wish he would tone it down a little and mature....but honestly I was never a fan of Malmsteen because he was writing Led Zeppelin quality songs. I still love his early albums though.....everything up through 'Eclipse'. Love the 'Inspiration' and the 'Concerto Suite for Electric Guitar...' albums to. I am still a fan.
    edited May 2017
    Only video I took...

And my fat head, courtesy of the friend I went with

Post edited by Gunner4Life on
    IMG_5654.JPG 815.9K
    Who is the singer on this tour?
    Ralph Ciavolino, he also plays bass.
    I guess it's too much to ask that he hire a proper singer...sigh...oh well, Yng is the big draw anyway.
    Honestly, I prefer his instrumental songs anyway
  • yngwie666yngwie666 Posts: 6,549
    I though Malmsteen himself was singing after he fired the previous singer ? That didn't work out...