Allan Holdsworth :(

RIP Allan Holdsworth... His daughter has just confirmed it. Very unexpected...

Comments

• Jay GJay G Posts: 2,504
    Just saw the news and am devestated.  He had some struggles the past few years and a bad fall out with management but was attempting to get things back together.  I was really hoping he would be successful and we would see him tour and record again.  RIP to one of the all time, all time great virtuoso guitar players.
  • BreakfastimeBreakfastime Posts: 2,152
    A true original.  RIP
  • AgrippaAgrippa Posts: 5,421
    edited April 16
    Spinning his "Metal Fatigue", "Heavy Machinery" and "Truth In Shredding" albums.

Really sad news.
    RIP Allan, hope they have really great beer where you are now.

Post edited by Agrippa on
  • SkyeSkye Posts: 1,540
    Terrible. Truly one of the greatest of all time. RIP Allan. 
  • Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 15,755
    There seem to be no details yet on cause of death.
    Life is easier, so much easier, life is easier now.
  • VandenbergVandenberg Posts: 3,679
    To far to many, an unknown, to us who knew, one of the greatest ever, RIP Mr Holdsworth.
  • Demented TedDemented Ted Posts: 983
    R.I.P. What an amazing player he was! I remember seeing him with brother Jeb in Huntington Beach during our second NAMM excursion.I was totally befuddled by his playing.His phrasing was alien to me as a rock musician.
    I was dazed and confused by his playing,yet also mesmerized and greatly impressed.A real mind-blowing experience.
  • LerxstFanLerxstFan Posts: 4,235
    Just saw this. Damn, that's horrible. One of the true masters. RIP
  • DonthegreekDonthegreek Posts: 2,451
    Bummer, one of my favorites and one of the best!  RIP!
  • BaddstuffBaddstuff Posts: 1,279
    here's one of my shots from 2012. He was scheduled to play New York in a couple of months. Was looking forward to that.

allan.jpg 173.2K
  • TravisWTravisW Posts: 682
    That's so sad. I always loved the rubbery, liquid flow of his phrasing, and how his note choices were from the opposite side of the universe from anything I could ever think of. 
  • HaffnerHaffner Posts: 7,052

I thought he was one of the greats/innovators, personally. I feel terrible over this.

I've gone through many phases where I listened to mostly Allan. I learned a bunch from his playing and compositions, most significant being his desire to be him (in music) at all costs. He started a whole sound world imo. Bless you, Allan. Thanks for the great music!

• Seven MoonsSeven Moons Posts: 7,788
    edited April 17
    Admittedly, I've heard maybe 2 or 3 pieces of his music, but it was enough to reckon that he was a true original and innovator, and to understand why he was so influential.  RIP. 
    Post edited by Seven Moons on
  • Tatosh GuitarTatosh Guitar Posts: 487
    Back when I didn't know better, I would read countless guitar magazines to try to learn as much as I could about the instrument. When reading interviews of my heroes, they would mention the people they admired or that had influenced them, and after a while I noticed a pattern: After discussing the typical Clapton and Page, once things would get serious, there was a name that more often than not would come up. And that name was Allan Holdsworth.

Seriously, the level of influence the man had was incredible. His musical vocabulary seemed endless and his technique untouchable.

He will be missed.
  • OskyOsky Posts: 808
    His talent was staggering and his music other-worldly. He influenced so many of my favorite players...EVH, Thrall, Lifeson, Alan Murphy, Francis Dunnery. I had to be in the mood for his stuff and would perhaps only listen to a couple of tracks in one sitting every once in a while. We've lost a true pioneer