Super Distortions

I was in London last week and for the first time in my life saw an actual Charvel Custom Shop in the flesh. A seafom green, somewhat beat up one with cream pickups. It looked really bad ass so I asked if I could try it out and sure thing.
The clerk told me it was fitted with a Super Distortion and I got even more excited as I've never (at least to my knowing) played a guitar fitted with one and pondered the idea of putting one into a guitar just to try it out.
He fired up a Fender amp and I was very sceptical about that to be honest. It was one of those Super Sonic things I believe. He dialed up the gain a bit and set the volume than handed me the guitar...

... Aaaand holy hell!!! That thing screamed. It sounded bloody fantastic. Both the guitar and the amp went straight to among the best sounding things I've played my whole life. I couldn't really afford the Charvel at the end of the day and also the neck was a little bit to thick for my taste and if I am gonna shell out that kind of money it better be perfect. But before I left I asked if this was generally how the Super Distortions sounds and he was like "Yes.".

That was it, I am gonna get myself one and put in one guitar. Here comes my problem and why I am posting here. I am not sure which guitar to put it in really...
Right now I got three alternatives. The most logical thing would be to rip out the EMG from my BCR and put it in there but 1) I love to have an EMG equipped axe at my disposal becuase it is handy for recording stuff 2) I am on the verge of selling that guitar.
Other than that I have a Gould Les Paul copy which actually is a decent guitar, guess that could be some really chunky tones but I hesitate because I fell in love with the tone from an SD in a superstrat - would it substantially different?
My third choice is a cheap J&D strat copy, I've had the idea of doing something cool with that for a while (it's my girlfriend's guitar really but she doesn't play anymore so it's basically my guitar), slapping a Super Distortion and a single volume knob might be the ticket, hm.

Would do you guys think? I bet some of you rock these or have had - what's your experience with it and how do you think it sound the best?

Cheers :) 

Comments

• SanchoSancho Posts: 17,951
    Don't stick it in the Les Paul copy. I had Super Distortions in an LP and it was a mudslide.

There's only one answer, and you know it already. Buy yourself a nice new guitar.

If the J&D plays decently and holds tune, make it into a one pickup, one button rock beast. That could work too ;)
  • SanchoSancho Posts: 17,951
    And don't sell the BC Rich. You still have two kidneys, right?
  • Tatosh GuitarTatosh Guitar Posts: 413
    Damn, you are not helping my super distortion GAS...

I have never played one either, but I have thought about putting a set on one of my guitars, just because all the guys I like from back in the day used them.

They weren't super strat exclusive, you know? Ace Frehley famously used them on his Les Paul back in the day. And the Maiden and Priest guys used them on both Gibsons and Fenders back in the early 80's. Legend has it that EVH also used one on his Ibanez Destroyer for the first album, which according to him is everywhere on the record when he didn't need the whammy bar...

Apparently that pick up will sound good on everything... I probably would put it in the girlfriend guitar hehehe, as that is the closest to what you liked.

Personally, I have been thinking long about this same subject and I think I would put it in my Explorer, since I hate the dirty fingers pick ups on it...

• Gunner4LifeGunner4Life Posts: 5,754
    They are, in fact, awesome pickups, and paired with a PAF Pro in the neck, a super combo.
  • mr_crowleymr_crowley Posts: 6,033
    Thanks for the feedback! Keep it coming - always nice with some discussions about this stuff :)

Leaning towards sticking it in the J&D becuase it is actually a totally decent guitar. Resonate quite nicely, stays in tune and has a pretty comfy neck. The weakest point is definitely the pickups. A sunburst Strat with a single cream p'up and a chrome volume to match the bridge - I can see that working ;)

As I am in school now (and four another three years) I am not really in a position to buy myself a new guitar as much as I would love to - also in the market for a new stereo setup so... Gonna make ends meet somehow :p
    I don't really have any room for them either, I already have six electric, two acoustic and one bass lying around... I am not feeling the BCR anymore that's why I am thinking about unloading it - it would leave a spot in the multi stand too and free up some cash for something new and shiny ;) I actually just kept it 'cause I wanted to sand it down and make a custom finish on it but have released that's probably not gonna happen because life you know... 
  • MarshallLawMarshallLaw Posts: 189
    edited April 11
    Last year I swapped out the whole pickguard assembly from my gold strat (HS3's) & replaced it with a two humbucker setup.  Originally I had AT-1's, but swapped them out with Super Distortions and haven't looked back.  Using a Friedman 50 watt head, an old Marshall cab & some clean boost from an overdrive gets me as close to Vengeance era Priest as i can get.  I love 'em!
    Post edited by MarshallLaw on
    Celebrating the era of 'hand-made rock' - Michael Schenker
  • BreakfastimeBreakfastime Posts: 2,152
    Dang it now I want one!
  • Gunner4LifeGunner4Life Posts: 5,754
    It's nice to know that if I absolutely need double cream pickups for aesthetics, DiMarzio does make SOME pickups I love.
  • deejaiddeejaid Posts: 80
    I love Super Distortions.  I've had them I'm a single humbucker strat, Les Paul, and Explorer, and now a Tele.  They aren't overly hot and sound great to my ears.  I used 250k pots with them for the first time in my Tele and it warmed them up a tad, but no mud.  

I've been buying vintage 70's era Super Distortions for awhile now, once all the boutique PAF love fest ends people will be looking for that 70's hard rock sound.  The Super D does it perfect.

Grab one off eBay for $60 or so and slap it in the bridge position of your favorite guitar.  You'll be very pleased.
  • jebbuddajebbudda Posts: 4,929
    They do sound great as long as your guitar volume knob is on 10 .

Once you back the guitar volume knob off the tone and response changes . The guys I know that love these pups always have the guitar volume cranked and only play metal. They never use the guitars volume control . Most use only one pup .

If metal is all your gonna play I do like these pups . I just find them very one dimensional and limited ; the proverbial " One Trick Pony " .

I've had a few over the years but always ended up selling them because I never really played them . Just Me !

Sounds like basically a no brainer! :D 

Yeah, it will surely be in a guitar mainly for "rocking out" - as that is 90% of what I do (if not more) I think it should fit the bill! It sounds like this would work out quite well :) 
    Might go with Gunners suggestion and even pop a PAF in the neck - we'll see. Should be fun trying to put it in myself as well as I never soldered anything (apart from some lame school work waaay back), always let my local tech do it but I don't live close anymore and don't trust the guys around here ;) 
  • eduardoritoseduardoritos Posts: 2,658
    Sounds like basically a no brainer! :D 

Yeah, it will surely be in a guitar mainly for "rocking out" - as that is 90% of what I do (if not more) I think it should fit the bill! It sounds like this would work out quite well :) 
    Might go with Gunners suggestion and even pop a PAF in the neck - we'll see. Should be fun trying to put it in myself as well as I never soldered anything (apart from some lame school work waaay back), always let my local tech do it but I don't live close anymore and don't trust the guys around here ;) 
    Be aware of starting the soldering thing, it's adictive!!!

I own more than 10 guitars, and no one is stock, it's funny and satisfaing when you convert your guitar into YOUR guitar.
  • cvansicklecvansickle Posts: 5,694
    The SD and PAF I had in the Dave Murray-ish Strat I had some years ago was sonic bliss. I would get that combo again if I could ever get comfortable with a Strat's ergonomics again.
    Death Or Glory - Who Dares Wins!
  • OskyOsky Posts: 804
    I have a black one I bought back in 1982, my first ever replacement pickup. I used it in my Columbus Strat copy and it sounded fantatsic... thick and warm and very NWOBHM. I retired it back in the late 80s and it sat in a box for aeons. A few years ago I hooked it up in one of my Pacifica's and although the tone was everything I remembered but it suffered from microphonics and was unusable live so it went back into the spares box where it still resides today. It probably needs dipping in wax or something similar to fix it. I never noticed the problem in the 80s but I had a very different set up then.
    Osky said:
    I used it in my Columbus Strat copy and it sounded fantatsic... thick and warm and very NWOBHM.

Awesome!

Something I noticed right away was that it was very hot and fierce sounding but still retained a very "natural" sound. As much as I love the Evo and an 81 for example they can come off as somewhat compressed and processed sometimes, to be able to have all that power on disposal but still retain more of a organic tone would be great :)