Chuck Berry R.I.P.

Comments

• Dr NickDr Nick Posts: 3,331
    Had a good innings, pioneering in guitar playing and stage presence. 

Just avoid his restrooms.

RIP.
  • Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 16,008
    Important figure. Horrible man.
    Life is easier, so much easier, life is easier now.
  • Seven MoonsSeven Moons Posts: 7,971
    edited March 19
    The ancestor of all rock guitar slingers...  R.I.P. 
    Post edited by Seven Moons on
  • Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 8,198
    Important figure. Horrible man.
    Agreed. The music world owes a lot to the guy, equaled only by what he owed back as a human being.

I love what Keith says to Chuck at 1:02 of this clip and the look on Chuck's face....

• VandenbergVandenberg Posts: 3,702
    Cruise in your Automobile Chuck, A Monster on stage and sadly off it to, but then its the music that is the pure form. RIP Mr Chuck "rock n roll" Berry  
  • HaffnerHaffner Posts: 7,300
    edited March 19

Whenever the more pretentious (read: silly) music people I know (and of course I know them because I'm one of them) start spewing about the Beatles and Bob Dylan being the most influential people in Rock history I have to cough a "Chuck Berry" out. Without Chuck, what exactly would we have? Certainly the Beatles and Beach Boys wouldn't have been as they were.

I don't like him as a person, but he was a certified Rock god imo, and I'll take his music over any Prog or (post-pioneering) Shred guitar music any day.

Post edited by Haffner on
  • SanchoSancho Posts: 18,145
    He sure got some mileage out of that lick.
  • whoopass1whoopass1 Posts: 1,395
    edited March 19
    And so did everyone else....It's a Great Lick! Thank You Mr. Berry for your Huge Contribution to Rock N' Roll and Ths Electric Guitar. R.I.P. Sir
    Post edited by whoopass1 on
  • cvansicklecvansickle Posts: 5,823
    Another founding father down. Who's left, besides Jerry Lee Lewis? 

FWIW Ike Turner was a colossal asshat too, but without "Rocket 88" where would any of us be? RIP Chuck Berry.

Death Or Glory - Who Dares Wins!
  • TravisWTravisW Posts: 747
    One of my first albums that I bought with my own money was Chuck Berry's Greatest Hits. Strangely dark, conflicted personality, but so incredibly important in the development of rock and roll and electric guitar playing. 
  • BreakfastimeBreakfastime Posts: 2,152
    One of the greatest of the greats has left the building.  He wrote great songs! Had an incredible stage presence!
    ...and he taught us all that lick!  Plus that boogie rhythm, stomping always, a real ass shaker!

..yeah he was a deranged kinky bastard.  Hard to forgive but the guy was/is the FIRST ROCK AND ROLL GUITAR HERO, so we'll cut him some slack.  

I'm gonna say Little Richard, Fats Domino, and Jerry Lee Lewis are the last surviving original generation of rockers?

• eduardoritoseduardoritos Posts: 2,808
    Most of the artist we admire where poor persons (Chaplin, Picasso, Miles Davis, Beethoven...).
    What they leave for us is their art and work. Maybe, they did all that for the ego, but we'd enjoyed the results, so, I only can thing on someone like Chuk in terms of "what he did for me?". And that's R&R. The first and, still, actual renowed guitar hero. They where others, but Chuk was the duck pass, the riff, the attitude.

The rest is for his family and friends.

Bye, bye, Chuk.
  • JohnnyJohnny Posts: 78
    He was a sick pervert.