Tom Allom and Andy Sneap are producing the new Judas Priest album

From Blabbermouth:

British heavy metal legends Judas Priest have entered the studio to begin recording their long-awaited follow-up to 2014's "Redeemer Of Souls" album. Helming the sessions for the new disc are the band's longtime producer Tom Allom, acclaimed British knob-twiddler Andy Sneap and engineer Mike Exeter. 

Rob Halford confirmed that there is no set-in-stone timetable for the release of Judas Priest’s next album. "You know, there is no rush," he said. "There is no rush. We feel great. We're very happy, we're very confident, we're very excited. And so, yeah, we're working with our label and with promoters, and there's a lot of stuff going on behind the scenes."
He continued: "When we go out, we want it to be good — we want it to be good, we want it to be well planned, we wanna make sure that everybody's happy."
Halford said last year that JUDAS PRIEST wasn't interested in making "a 'Redeemer Of Souls Part Two'." He explained: "I think it's very important that we make another stand-alone record again, a heavy metal record that's going to have its own legs and just be as different as all of them have been so far."

This is a smart move IMO. Nostradamus was hampered by weak production. On Redeemer it was downright awful. Now there's hope. 

JP.jpeg 56.7K

Comments

• AgrippaAgrippa Posts: 5,474
    edited March 15
    I'm also excited by this.

Their "touch of evil, live" from 2009 were produced by Tom Allom, and sounds great imho.

So is their latest live album, "Battle Cry" which I haven't heard in full yet.

Post edited by Agrippa on
  • SanchoSancho Posts: 18,145
    Who manned up and told Tipton he's not cutting it as a producer?
    Imagine Redeemer with good production :o
  • VenomboyVenomboy Posts: 3,406
    With Sneap it'll have heavy guitars and no bass, just a notion of bass. Hope it's good. Really hated the last 2.
  • HaffnerHaffner Posts: 7,300
    Well this is interesting.
  • mr_crowleymr_crowley Posts: 6,158
    Smart move. I think this is gonna kick some major ass! :D 
  • Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 8,198
    Good news....maybe Allom can get Tipton to plug his guitar directly into his amp....
  • Tatosh GuitarTatosh Guitar Posts: 613
    Both great choices. At least we know it's gonna sound good. Allom produced the albums of their commercial peak, and to many people, the Priest they like is the Priest he produced. With Sneap as knob twister I am sure the guitars are gonna slay.

That said, I am afraid poor Ian Hill is gonna be totally unused this time. The bass is basically MIA in every Priest record that Allom produced. But maybe that was by design...
  • Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 8,198
    edited March 16
    i will have to go back and listen to 'British Steel' on.....but I don't think it's that the bass is MIA....it's just that Ian Hill simplified his approach to playing mostly root notes....as that was what the music and sound called for. I am sure Allom had a lot to do with that approach....as Hill's playing before that was much busier. That style of bass playing has been in the Priest formula ever since....so I don't see much changing in that department.
    Post edited by Duojett71 on
  • Seven MoonsSeven Moons Posts: 7,971
    Duojett71 said:
    i will have to go back and listen to 'British Steel' on.....but I don't think it's that the bass is MIA....it's just that Ian Hill simplified his approach to playing mostly root notes....as that was what the music and sound called for. I am sure Allom had a lot to do with that approach....as Hill's playing before that was much busier. That style of bass playing has been in the Priest formula ever since....so I don't see much changing in that department.
    I also think there is quite a bit of bass in the mix of British Steel, Point of Entry or Screaming. Listen for instance to "Don't Go" or "Turning Circles" on PoE, the bass is VERY  present. It's just than Ian Hill plays simple throbbing lines that follow quite closely the root notes of the guitar chords - this approach makes him some kind of unsung hero, but it works brilliantly with the style of riffing of JP.  These albums actually had a fantastic low end punch by late 70s/early 80s standards IMO. 

• cvansicklecvansickle Posts: 5,823
    As long as they leave out that infernal clicking sound that permeated a lot of the late 80s stuff.
    Death Or Glory - Who Dares Wins!
  • Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 16,008
    Should have a nice mix of new and old.

Life is easier, so much easier, life is easier now.
  • VenomboyVenomboy Posts: 3,406
    What I meant was that on Sneap productions there's low end but I can never hear actual bass notes.
  • SanchoSancho Posts: 18,145
    I can't remember the last time, if ever, I actually noticed much of Ian Hill...
  • cvansicklecvansickle Posts: 5,823
    Sure enough, I've never listened to Priest and thought, "that's some great bass on there!" The JP rhythm section has always held down a foundation that allows the guitars and vocals to deliver the goods.
    Death Or Glory - Who Dares Wins!