Stevie Wonder

HaffnerHaffner Posts: 7,047

I saw this and my heart felt good, mistakes and all: 

Do we have any other fans here? I love him.

Post edited by Haffner on

Comments

• Jay GJay G Posts: 2,503
    Huge fan.  Saw Stevie twice once back in 86 and again a couple of years ago on the Songs tour.  Both were life changing experiences.  He's got 5 albums in a row in the early 70s that are stone old classics and he covers a ton of ground from Rock to funk to soul to prog.
  • HaffnerHaffner Posts: 7,047
    He's such an iconic songwriter, at his best right up there with the greats imo.
  • Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 15,715
    edited January 26
    Yes, absolutely. Though I greatly prefer Stevie's 70s funky side -- songs like this, Superstition, Higher Ground, etc.  I'm less a fan of his jazzier side, or the pop side when he gets too twee.  But his genius and greatness at all aspects of music is undeniable. 
    Post edited by Dinosaur David B on
    Life is easier, so much easier, life is easier now.
  • Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 7,941
    edited January 26
    I would not really call myself a fan(I am not that familiar with his music outside of his hits)....but I respect the talent and greatness of the man. I am with Dave....I like the 70's funkier stuff the best....not so much the pop stuff. I saw him in '99 when he played for the student body at the Recording Arts school I went to. Just him and a stripped down band on stage in our parking lot. It was kind of like a Story Tellers type show where he would play a song and then talk in between. Either about the song itself, recording, the music industry, etc. It was really cool. By all accounts Stevie is a super nice guy who likes to help others.
    Post edited by Duojett71 on
  • OskyOsky Posts: 806
    Not familiar with anything outside the hits but really need to get into his back catalogue particularly the 70s funk stuff. Any recommendations greatly welcome!
    Osky said:
    Not familiar with anything outside the hits but really need to get into his back catalogue particularly the 70s funk stuff. Any recommendations greatly welcome!

Songs in the Key of Life. Total masterpiece. Definitely that one.
  • Osky said:
    His albums always have a variety of stylistic genres, so the funk stuff is mixed in among the other stuff. i.e. there is no one "SW funk album,"  the way there is with say, the Isley Brothers who had a "funk period."

Generally, the period from 72 -76 is considered the peak, and a good place to start. Anything in here:
    • Music from My Mind (72)
    • Talking Book (72)
    • Innervisions (73)
    • Fulfillingness' First Finale (74)
    • Songs in the Key of Life (76) 
    You'll know a lot of the hits. 

And fair warning: NONE of it ROCKS. 

And fair warning: NONE of it ROCKS. 

If you want Stevie rock (though it could be argued more funky than rockin'...Jeff Beck was involved, put it that way) check out earlier stuff like "Superstitious".
  • OskyOsky Posts: 806
    Thanks Dave/Andy.... dont worry I'm not expecting rock, just good songs and grooves. The SW that I do know often has interesting melodic twists and turns which I love!
  • Osky said:
    Thanks Dave/Andy.... dont worry I'm not expecting rock, just good songs and grooves. The SW that I do know often has interesting melodic twists and turns which I love!
    Well there's plenty of that. The musicality and sophistication of composition and chord changes etc. approaches (Sir) Duke Ellington levels. Plus, he plays the bulk of the instruments himself including drums, and sings his ass off. Start listening to Stevie sing and you'll hear where Glenn Hughes gets a LOT of his vocal phrasing and soul from. 
    Osky said:
    Well there's plenty of that. The musicality and sophistication of composition and chord changes etc. approaches (Sir) Duke Ellington levels.
    Dave said it. Definitely Duke and Coltrane levels of musicality. Stevie is a Composer.
  • eduardoritoseduardoritos Posts: 2,666
    edited January 27
    Goog drummer, fantastic harp, singer and composer. Free using chords, modulations...
    Master in any style. Even his popy side is better than any other popy's matherial.
    And cool guy.

Post edited by eduardoritos on