Dinosaur Rock Guitar Hall Of Heavy Metal Fame Bands

Comments

• HaffnerHaffner Posts: 7,805
    edited December 2016
    Accept is a hard sell because of the vocals. Saxon may be too. People either love those bands or hate them. 

Mercyful Fate more than either lol! Love them, and that's some great Classic Metal as well imo. Even if you despise the vocals, immortal riffs and liquid leads.
    Post edited by Haffner on
  • Yeah, the vocals are usually a hard sell. That's actually why I thought of the power metal guys. They are usually very good singers, and a guy like Michael Kiske from Helloween gets as rabid love from his fanbase as Halford or Dickinson get from theirs. He has some serious set of pipes for sure, even if he sometimes sounds a lil too much like Geoff Tate.
    Yeah, the vocals are usually a hard sell. That's actually why I thought of the power metal guys. They are usually very good singers, and a guy like Michael Kiske from Helloween gets as rabid love from his fanbase as Halford or Dickinson get from theirs. He has some serious set of pipes for sure, even if he sometimes sounds a lil too much like Geoff Tate.

Not a fan of the Helloween sound, but they're obviously a great band with virtuosic vocals. And a good recommendation.
  • Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 17,493
    edited December 2016
    Kiske has the high range, but he doesn't have (classic) Tate's low range.  Geoff Tate, EP - Promised Land is vocally in a class by himself. 
    Post edited by Dinosaur David B on
    I ain't falling for no banana in the tailpipe.
    edited December 2016
    Kiske has the high range, but he doesn't have (classic) Tate's low range.  Geoff Tate, EP - Promised Land is vocally in a class by himself. 

I played Take Hold of the Flame and Queen of the Reich over and over back in the day. Other than that (and I LOVED Tate's voice), QR just never did much for me.

On the converse side, I adore some UFO songs and of course practically worship the guitar. But the vocals never did much for me, they actually kind of ruined a lot of it for me. To me, Michael is mostly MSG 1980-1984ish. Go figure.

• Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 17,493
    edited December 2016
    Haffner said:

I played Take Hold of the Flame and Queen of the Reich over and over back in the day. Other than that (and I LOVED Tate's voice), QR just never did much for me.

Surprised.  Such amazingly DRAMATIC music.  Especially Mindcrime.
    If you watch the Operation Livecrime video with good audio, and still aren't swayed, I can't help you. 

Post edited by Dinosaur David B on
  • inmyhandsinmyhands Posts: 11,591
              I didn't want this thread to require any of the old Dinosaur Rock Guitar ideals because, as Dave said, that's been done and done well.
              In the last 5 years or so I've watched the Dino membership embrace a more extreme modern form of Heavy Metal band while focusing less and less on the original DInosaur Rock bands that were the lead in to the music I now read so much praise for in our forum threads. I find myself reading as Mr Crowley, Sancho, The Scumster, Duojett71, Seven Moons, etc., etc. discuss the attributes of bands I've never heard of. When I go to the mentioned bands websites I find a spectrum of music ranging from Iommi inspired to Yngwie inspired to Becker inspired to more new inspirations stacking one on another. I know the original Dinosaur Rock Guitar Metal Bands. I'm interested in learning about the modern metal bands, (maybe post 2000), that some of our members have become enamored with. I'd like to think that music hasn't died and hope that among the "Ten" suggestions for a "Heavy Metal" Hall of Fame I might find some newer bands that have achieved a fan base among Dino members that would cause their inclusion in this thread.
              As for my second question .....

Seven Moon's suggestion of Mastodon will be checked out.
               I'm already aware of Stratovarius and Symphony X for that matter. I love the first and like the second while Debi would answer in exactly the reverse order. It's just that lately I'm reading threads about bands that I know nothing about or, after having checked out their websites, found inspiration to throw myself off a bridge. I don't need that type of inspiration. I have adult children and their grandchildren. Fear not. They'll take care of the whole bridge thing.

If I asked for the 10 Best Heavy Metal Bands of the New Millennium would that help to focus your expertise on my problem?

Rick

• TravisWTravisW Posts: 976
    IMHO, the best metal bands of the new millennium, from a Dino background and standpoint, wind up being 20th century holdovers. For me a whole world opened up once I learned to enjoy (or at least listen past) death or black metal vocals. There was a lot that came out of the 1990s that I think has a lot of merit...if you can hack the vocals. There's tons of dino guitar in the melo-death bands and their forebears. I think Bill Steer from Carcass would fit in here perfectly, and a lot of his riffing is built off the type of guitar playing we all enjoy. 
  • SnoogansSnoogans Posts: 1,657
    TravisW said:
    . I think Bill Steer from Carcass would fit in here perfectly, and a lot of his riffing is built off the type of guitar playing we all enjoy. 
    I was thinking about mentioning Carcass myself. I've always thought of them as almost "entry-level" extreme metal, not so br00tal as to put-off the traditional metal fan, but more than enough to set him on the slippery slope to things downtuned and growly. Certainly worked for me!

I believe I've made the suggestion before, but I think you'd probably enjoy some of Devin Townsend's stuff. Personally, I'd recommend the Addicted album, but there's lots to choose from, be it trancey and progular or thrash metal madness.
    Talking of which - Strapping Young Lad's City is  one of the greatest metal albums ever, and I'm unlikely to ever stop raving about it!

Haffner said:

If you watch the Operation Livecrime video with good audio, and still aren't swayed, I can't help you. 

I've see portions of this video before, so I guess you can't help me. I thought Mindcrime was lame. But that's just me.

Thanks for that hairdo though, I choked on my coffee seeing it this morning.

Most of the more recent metal I like is the black and death from the late 80s and 90s. I think people like Dio, Gillan, and Halford set the bar so high that up and coming bands during that time just kind of gave up and went for a more horror-themed vocal.

• Yeah, that was from when Tate was still balding. Now he's a cue ball.
  • Seven MoonsSeven Moons Posts: 8,701
    TravisW said:
     For me a whole world opened up once I learned to enjoy (or at least listen past) death or black metal vocals. 
    Same here. DM or BM is where I often find the same flourish of creativity, vitality and skills that had first attracted me to metal as a kid. Sure, the vocals are an acquired taste, but for me it didn't require more effort to get used to them, than to get used to Geddy Lee or Jon Anderson's vocals, for example. Well-executed DM or BM vocals really work with the music, not against it. 

And I completely agree about Carcass being an excellent "gateway" band to more extreme forms of metal. Another obvious one is Arch Enemy, a very guitar-centered band where you'll get to hear a ton of dino-inspired leadwork by one of today's hottest guitar teams. 
    edited December 2016
    Death's Sound of Perseverance is another really excellent gateway, Chuck's vocals are only a bit more difficult to get past than Udo's, and there are all kinds of riffs that could be likened as much to Classic and Progressive Metal than anything else. There are also several terrific songs....just try Story to Tell and get ready for shivers during that chorus riff. Some of the most sad lyrics ever, Chuck having been made aware of his cancer.
  • AgrippaAgrippa Posts: 5,872
    BLUE OYSTER CULT !!

How can you ignoramusses pass em by ?
    they basically invented american Heavy Metal regarding it's early sound, image and artwork !
    Sorry, I'm just 53, and for 40 years my absolute fave metal/dino band has been ignored every time for every bloody thing, and I just got fed up.
    I'll behave now, I promise.

I'd like to see Death (the band), Alice Cooper, Kiss, yes Kiss, Mercyful Fate and of course Emperor in there too.

• SnoogansSnoogans Posts: 1,657

Still the finest live show I've ever seen. Period.