Dinosaur Rock Guitar Hall Of Heavy Metal Fame Bands

OK. This thread has not been cleared by Dave. I just got to thinking. Because the new "Hall of Heavy Metal History" was soundly trounced in another section of the Dinosaur Rock Guitar forum by almost all responding members I figured you guys must be experts on this subject and the music world is always in need of expertise.
          There are too many music listeners who grade all forms of music using "pop" ideals rather than "skill" ideals. Myself ........ I don't consider myself eligible to take part in the nominations requested in this thread. I'm "vintage" rock or "hard" rock.
          I've found many "metal" lead guitar soloists who have astounded me and pleased me with both their skill level and instrumental songwriting skills. That said ......  I am who I am. I can count on two hands all the "Heavy Metal" bands I've cared to follow. I don't like "dropped" mids. I don't like chuga chuga rhythms. I'll stop there before I alienate the metal heads this thread is aimed at.
          In this thread I'm going to ask the "metal" experts for #1). The first Ten bands that should be inducted into the Dinosaur Rock Guitar Heavy Metal Hall of Fame and .......#2). One single heavy metal band that a "vintage rock" "hard rock" music lover like myself would go crazy over.
        So let's get started ........................

WHO ARE THE FIRST TEN BANDS THAT SHOULD BE INCLUDED IN THE DINOSAUR ROCK GUITAR HALL OF HEAVY METAL FAME ??????

Comments

• pprovostpprovost Posts: 2,622
    Led Zeppelin
    Black Sabbath
    Deep Purple
    Judas Priest
    Scorpions
    Iron Maiden
    Blizzard of Oz
    Dio
    YJM
    Metallica - While they sold their souls to the mainstream years ago, they are the ones that most younger fans think of when you mention Heavy Metal.
    I think sometimes if you try to play too technically, you lose something in the music - like you're playing for another guitar player. I like to play for people. The more sophisticated and mature guitarists become, the more they go with the feel.

- Ritchie Blackmore

• EugenicScumEugenicScum Posts: 5,321
    edited December 2016
    I think it has to be a dino list first and foremost so no Metallica because if you want to add them, you need to consider Slayer and that's a slippery slope. The list should include bands that made it huge, were a big influence worldwide thereby setting a template for all of dino rock and metal. Something to factor in will be DRG's all time favourites too because we're making this list. I think Aerosmith, Kiss, and Van Halen from the US have to make it to the list. Rush from Canada, Scorpions and Accept from Germany, Led Zep, Sabbath, Purple/Rainbow from the UK too. Hendrix will qualify because he influenced all the next gen bands that make up the rest of the list and helped define dino rock in the first place. UFO/MSG, Lizzy, Gary Moore will qualify towards the tail end of the list when we factor in how much DRG loves them and how influential they were, and not necessarily because they were huge.
    Post edited by EugenicScum on
    Check out my band: Bevar Sea
  • I think we could make an european vs. american ratings, because the feel of "rock" word in europe and USA difers a little.

My list:
    - Black Sabbath
    - Van Halen
    - UFO
    - Judas Priest
    - Iron Maiden
    - Gary Moore
    - Alcatrazz/YJM
    - Bon Jovi
    - Mr Big
    - Guns 'n' Roses

I could explain why eachone, but I suposse you're aware of why they're in the list =)

They're more bands I like, but that's a Hall of Fame, and I think that's the people who make Dino rock guitar be like it is.

Clapton, Hendrix and many could be OK in the overall blues/rock guitar department, but for me, Dino is a mix of attitude, chops, writing style (both song and guitarwise) and tone, and plain blues playing is in another league, not better, not worse.
  • Seven MoonsSeven Moons Posts: 8,701
    edited December 2016
    I'll stick strictly to Dino bands.  

Black Sabbath
    Deep Purple
    Judas Priest
    Scorpions
    Rainbow
    Motörhead 
    Iron Maiden 
    Saxon
    MSG 
    Accept

Not really metal, but huge bands that should be there too:
    Led Zeppelin
    AC/DC
    Van Halen 

Post edited by Seven Moons on
  • SnoogansSnoogans Posts: 1,657
    Tricky one, but the title specifically says "Heavy Metal", and I personally don't consider LedZep, Purple and their like to be metal bands. Yes, they will have had a profound influence on metal musicians, and may have produced "proto-metallic" material from time to time, but they ain't going on my list!

Black Sabbath (Duh!)
    Judas Priest
    Iron Maiden
    Ozzy/ Blizzard
    Dio
    Metallica
    Motorhead
    Scorpions
    Motley Crue

Okay, so that's nine, but I couldn't readily think of any others that are truly metal bands, or not derivations of the above. Van Halen and GnR nearly made it, but I just aren't "metal" enough!

And as for Rick's second question, how about Queensryche?

I thought about Rick's second question, it's not easy to answer.
    At first I was tempted to answer Dio-era Black Sabbath, or Dio-era Rainbow, or Judas Priest, but he already knows them.  
    For something more current, why not Mastodon?  They have chops, a very distinctive sound, and they blend many styles but there's always 70s psychedelia lurking in the background. The last album 'Once More Round the Sun' is a good place to start as it's very accessible and catchy. 

• We already had a HOF -- we used to vote on it every year.  Every band and artist that should have got in, eventually DID get in.  Then it got stupid, because we were all reaching for people who weren't of the same caliber.  This is the last version of it I could still find, though we may have done it as late as 2009:

Dinosaur Rock Hall of Fame

Induction Criteria: Artists become eligible for induction 20 years after their first record. Criteria include the influence and significance of the artist's contributions to the development and perpetuation Hard Rock and Heavy Metal. Open to individual performers and "bands."

Each year, The Dinosaur Rock Guitar Forum will induct one nominee from each of the following categories (and two from Guitarist):

• Band
    • Guitarist
    • Singer
    • Bassist
    • Drummer
    • Keys
    • Lifetime Achievement. Given for consistent excellence across an artist's whole career — not just a chunk of it.

Inaugural "Honorary" Inductees:

Italicized artists earned a "free pass" in to the Dinosaur Rock Hall of Fame. They are ineligible as nominees EXCEPT individual performers for "Lifetime Achievement."

Bands

The Yardbirds
    The Who
    The Jimi Hendrix Experience
    Cream 
    Led Zeppelin 
    Black Sabbath 
    Deep Purple 
    Rainbow 
    Queen 
    Thin Lizzy 
    Judas Priest 

Aerosmith 
    Rush
    UFO 
    Scorpions 
    Iron Maiden 
    AC/DC 
    Van Halen 
    Accept (2001)
    Ozzy Osbourne Band (2002)
    The Michael Schenker Group (2003)
    DIO (2004)

KISS (2005)
    Motörhead (2006)
    Whitesnake (2007)

Individual Performers

Guitarists:

Pete Townshend
    Jimi Hendrix 
    Eric Clapton 
    Jeff Beck
    Jimmy Page 
    Tony Iommi 
    Ritchie Blackmore 
    Brian May 
    Joe Perry 
    Alex Lifeson 
    Angus Young 
    Eddie Van Halen 
    Randy Rhoads 
    Michael Schenker 
    Gary Moore 
    John Sykes (2001) 
    Wolf Hoffmann (2001)
    George Lynch (2002)
    Ted Nugent (2002) 
    Uli Roth (2003)
    Yngwie Malmsteen (2003)
    Scott Gorham (2004)
    Jake E. Lee (2004)

Brian Robertson (2005)
    Dave Meniketti (2005)
    Billy Gibbons (2006)
    Joe Satriani (2006) 
    Adrian Smith (2007)

Dave Murray (2007)

Singers:

Roger Daltrey 
    Robert Plant 
    Ozzy Osbourne 
    Ronnie James Dio 
    Ian Gillan 
    David Coverdale 
    Glenn Hughes 
    Freddie Mercury 
    Steve Tyler 
    Phil Lynott 
    Bon Scott 
    Rob Halford
    Bruce Dickinson (2001)
    Sammy Hagar (2002)
    David Lee Roth (2003)
    Klaus Meine (2004)
    Geoff Tate (2005)
    Paul Rodgers (2006)
    Ann Wilson (2007)

Bass Players:

John Entwistle
    Jack Bruce 
    John Paul Jones 
    Geezer Butler 
    Roger Glover 
    Geddy Lee
    Steve Harris (2001)
    Lemmy Killmeister (2002) 
    Phil Lynott (2003)
    Bob Daisley (2004)

Michael Anthony (2005)
    John Deacon (2006)
    Neil Murray (2007)

Drummers:

Keith Moon 
    Ginger Baker 
    John Bonham 
    Bill Ward 
    Ian Paice 
    Neil Peart 
    Cozy Powell
    Brian Downey (2001)
    Tommy Aldrige (2002)
    Nicko McBrain (2003)
    Carmine Appice (2004)

Vinnie Appice (2005)
    Clive Burr (2006)
    Phil Rudd (2007)

Keyboard players:

Jon Lord 
    Don Airey
    Jan Hammer (2002)
    Jens Johannsen (2003)
    Paul Raymond (2004)
    Freddie Mercury (2005)
    John Paul Jones (2006)
    Rick Wakeman (2007)

Lifetime Achievement

Tony Iommi (2001)
    Jimmy Page (2002)
    Ritchie Blackmore (2003)
    Ronnie James Dio (2004)
    Jeff Beck (2005)
    Eddie Van Halen (2006)
    Bruce Dickinson (2007)

I ain't falling for no banana in the tailpipe.
  • Jay GJay G Posts: 2,659
    To answer the 2nd question I would suggest Uli era Scorpions.
    We already had a HOF -- we used to vote on it every year.  Every band and artist that should have got in, eventually DID get in.  Then it got stupid, because we were all reaching for people who weren't of the same caliber.  This is the last version of it I could still find, though we may have done it as late as 2009:

Yep, there were a few more names.  Glenn Tipton and KK Downing were the last ones in the list of guitar players iirc. 
  • HaffnerHaffner Posts: 7,805
    edited December 2016

Jay G said:
    To answer the 2nd question I would suggest Uli era Scorpions.

That and/or 70s Judas Priest.
    Post edited by Haffner on
  • Just ten? Geez. That's almost impossible to me, but I'l give it a shot:

Black Sabbath
    Deep Purple
    Led Zeppelin
    Judas Priest
    Iron Maiden
    Scorpions
    Rainbow
    AC/DC
    Van Halen
    Thin Lizzy

If I can add a few more:

Blizzard of Oz
    Accept
    Aerosmith
    UFO
    MSG
    Whitesnake
    Queensryche
    Motorhead
    Gary Moore
    YJM's Rising Force

Seriously, I can go on and on...

As for the second question... how about Dio era Rainbow?
  • I thought about Rick's second question, it's not easy to answer.
    If Rick means more recently-formed HM bands, that's tough (and it's the same problem I have).  Very tough to find any newer bands that put ALL of the pieces together (songs/vox/solos) in a way that would satisfy a fan of vintage heavy bands that have all that going for them. 

The holy trifecta of classic metal is (IMO) Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, and the Scorpions.  While I know Rick knows who these bands are, I don't know how familiar Rick really is with their music.   If he is NOT familiar beyond the radio/MTV hits, I would think he would like all three of them as much as most of us do.  FURTHER, it has been my experience that if a person likes ONE of those three bands, the odds are they'll like the other two as well. They may favor one over another, but I haven't met any JP fans that didn't also like IM or the Scorps in some capacity -- and vice versa.  Why?
    Because ALL 3 bands have ALL of the elements we value in music in both 70s hard rock AND 80s metal: Great songs, great vocals, great guitar/musicianship.

That said, if Rick IS familiar with these bands, already likes them, has some of their albums, I would suggest he check out Halford's first two solo albums, and Dickinson's Roy Z albums. 
  • HaffnerHaffner Posts: 7,805
    edited December 2016
    Assault Attack. Or shoot, any of the first three MSG studio albums. They're all pretty close in quality...which means they're all great imo. Barden isn't exactly Di'anno, Meine, or Halford, but he's certainly a more than capable singer (I prefer him to Moog, at least in the studio). And, depending on your taste, Bonnet was a heavyweight back then.
    Post edited by Haffner on
  • So the question was about newer bands? That's not easy to answer indeed. My wife is always amazed (or maybe annoyed is the right word)  by the fact that I don't really listen to much music made after 1990. So my knowledge on newer bands is pretty limited already.

That said, and sticking to the classic metal holy trifecta, as Dave accurately named them (Maiden, Priest, Scorps) I have recommended Accept to people that are already fans of that style and that are not familiar with them. Same for Saxon and MSG. But I am guessing Rick already knows them or at least has heard of them. And they are not exactly recent anyway...

The more I think about it, MAYBE some of the euro melodic power metal bands might appeal to Rick. Those guys usually stick to the Priest/Maiden/UFO/Rainbow blueprint but with more speed and updated sound. Most of these bands are german and the Schenker/Uli/Hoffmann worship is so strong it's not even funny, with some Yngwie style soloing sometimes to top it all. Bands like 80's Helloween, 90's Gamma Ray, Edguy, Stratovarius, etc... I used to listen to these bands all the time in my early 20's, but I eventually got tired of the style and moved back to the source bands.

• Accept is a hard sell because of the vocals. Saxon may be too. People either love those bands or hate them.