Boss Katana

Comments

• Dr NickDr Nick Posts: 3,715
    Got one, quite like it. 
    It's simple, but you can program 4 "pre-sets", and if you hook up your laptop there are 50+ effects available. All the usual parameters are editable through the laptop, but only volume and delay-time using the knobs, so there's only so much you can do on the fly.

And you can move what effects are where to some extent, so you CAN have a boost and modulation at the same time. i got rid of Auto Wah (waste of an effect IMO), and put the flanger there. Sorted. 
  • i got a Katana 50.  it has a pretty nice chug to it.  there’s a lot more body to the gain sounds than, say, a Line 6.  if i were gonna try and gig a Katana, i think i’d have to have the 100w, due to the extra flexibility of the effects, foot controller, etc.
  • the brown channel on this amp is a LOT of fun.  goddamn i haven’t enjoyed jamming by myself this much in a long time.
    Update - we've done 3 gigs where my son has played the Katana, and it worked fine. Not as much bottom end as my amp (which to be fair goes through a 2x12), but quite trebly - which he likes - so it provides contrast and cuts through the mix. He has a lead sound programmed using the "Brown" sound, which works well. And he has no interest in rows of pedals, just wants a sound. 
  • Dr Nick said:
    Update - we've done 3 gigs where my son has played the Katana, and it worked fine. Not as much bottom end as my amp (which to be fair goes through a 2x12), but quite trebly - which he likes - so it provides contrast and cuts through the mix. He has a lead sound programmed using the "Brown" sound, which works well. And he has no interest in rows of pedals, just wants a sound. 
    this is the way to go, i think, for 95% of guitarists.  dancing on pedals constantly is a great way to halt the presence of mind and flow necessary to make good live music.
    He wouldn't mind something with a few more pre-sets, but doesn't use a huge number and isn't an effects nerd. 
    Any experience with the Marshall Code? Always happy to try stuff. 
  • StitselStitsel Posts: 2,208
    I have a Code 25......& I love it. Lots of tweakable tones, presets are cool too.You have to get the foot pedal if you get one, makes pulling up your personal presets instantaneous......granted, I only use it presently as my den amp, but it wails. It's no replacement for my half stack but it gets tones my JVM doesn't; Bluesbreaker,Plexi, Silver Jubilee etc. .....like I said, I love it.
    Haven't tried the Code, did try a Fender Mustang GT which sounds fine  - no better than the Katana but far more pre-sets which can be grouped into banks of 4.
    So more versatile. But I think the Katana edges it for tone.
  • StitselStitsel Posts: 2,208
    Well, try the Code ;)
  • EugenicScumEugenicScum Posts: 5,323
    Needed a way to start making demos for the next album and to practicing quietly in the living room, so ordered the katana 50w combo. Fairly decently priced considering the customs and dealer markups that are usually way worse. 

What I need is 

1. Decent medium/high gain tone for DI recording
    2. Interface that allows me to record demos and use my monitors for output
    3. That 0.5w setting so I can jam without waking people up.

Check out my band: Bevar Sea
  • VandenbergVandenberg Posts: 3,945
    MY wife has just bought me the 100w for my Birthday as I am into process of getting my self back to full playing power for an upcoming project, as so many have said its about time I got off my arse!. I have been very impressed with the Katana for what it is (the foot controller I 100% recommend, gives the amp the flexibility some feel it lacks with out) a decent sound out of a small box lol   
  • I saw the wireless Katana Air at NAMM. That's a pretty cool practice set-up, and the portability is impressive.  
    I threw me guitar out. Why bother? Why bother? Use it as a coffee table. Because I can't play it like that. 
    -- David St. Hubbins.
  • EugenicScumEugenicScum Posts: 5,323
    Yeah, Air looks better as furniture and the wireless capability is very living room friendly. Unfortunately, it's not available yet and I needed this urgently.
    Check out my band: Bevar Sea
    New firmware = 8 patches now, and with the footswitch you can turn individual effects on & off within a patch, plus have a tap tempo for every patch if you want. 
    My son is loving his. 
  • can you imagine having a guitar rig like this when you were starting out?  unbelievable what this will do for the $$.