New Hall of Heavy Metal History.

I found this in Gibson's "news" area.

http://www.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/News/en-us/Hall-of-Heavy-Metal-History-Names-More-Inductees.aspx

Question 1 ......... Who should be inducted?

Question 2 ......... How can we keep the Hall of Heavy Metal History true to itself? (Think "Rock & Roll Hall of Fame").

Comments

• SnoogansSnoogans Posts: 1,362
    It's a fairly safe bet that Kurt Cobain will get in there.

• EugenicScumEugenicScum Posts: 5,016
    Jethro Tull obviously.

Check out my band: Bevar Sea
  • SanchoSancho Posts: 17,858
    I don't even want to begin imagining this mainstream abomination.
  • EugenicScumEugenicScum Posts: 5,016
    Or it'll be what Eddie Trunk thinks is metal. 
    Check out my band: Bevar Sea
  • Seven MoonsSeven Moons Posts: 7,662
    Who cares? 
  • SnoogansSnoogans Posts: 1,362

Bill Steer of Carcass is as metal as it gets, and he plays an old LP Jnr.
    Somehow, I can't see him making the list.
    Does he play the Jr in Carcass too?
  • Seven MoonsSeven Moons Posts: 7,662
    Sancho said:
    The regular one, I'm not sure. But he plays a Jr loaded with humbuckers:

As for Carcass, everyone was in awe of Dave Grohl going on stage with an injured leg, but Jeff Walker did it too... 

• Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 15,590
    edited December 2016
    Or it'll be what Eddie Trunk thinks is metal. 
    That wouldn't be SO bad. He at least has general understanding of who was great and why.   But for a company that never put out a Michael Schenker V, but DID put out Lenny Kravitz V  (and a Rudi V) -- no thanks.

inmyhands said:
    Question 2 ......... How can we keep the Hall of Heavy Metal History true to itself? (Think "Rock & Roll Hall of Fame").

Induct Tupac -- like the RnRHOF is doing this year. 

Who cares? 

Exactly.

Post edited by Dinosaur David B on
    The only guy in Boston who knows what that thing sticking out of the left side of the steering column is for. 
    Sancho said:
    The regular one, I'm not sure. But he plays a Jr loaded with humbuckers:

As for Carcass, everyone was in awe of Dave Grohl going on stage with an injured leg, but Jeff Walker did it too... 

He got amazing tone from that Jr with Firebird. The guitar, a wah pedal and a narrow panel Marshall turned up to 11.

Yeah, but Dave Grohl is the Saviour of Rock (tm).

Smug fucker should hope he ever does something half as significant as Carcass.

But he'll probably be inducted in the Hall Of Heavy Metal History...
  • HaffnerHaffner Posts: 6,891

Tyrannosaurus Rex-sized yawn. I'm getting the feeling that Rock (and all its subgenres) should never be institutionalized in this way.

• inmyhandsinmyhands Posts: 11,035
    <3   I see the Christmas spirit's leaping from member to member like a virus or a grumpy mind meld or, in some member's cases, a bacterial infection.

Tis the season. Think .... Metallica plays "Little Drummer Boy" or Metal Church plays "Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow".

Bunch a bad ass whiners sitting by the tree in their old leather pants, stubble marred scalps, rusty chain maille vests and callused fingertips poking from finger less gloves.

No wait.

That's me.
  • pprovostpprovost Posts: 2,529
    Any Hall of Fame that doesn't include Led Zep, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Judas Priest, Scorpions, and Iron Maiden out of the gate should be viewed with suspicion. Those are the big six.
    Bla-bla-bla. Bla-bla-bla-bla...bla-bla-bla. Bla-bla-bla-bla, bla-bla-bla...bla-bla.

- Alex Lifeson
  • TravisWTravisW Posts: 635
    Haffner said:

Tyrannosaurus Rex-sized yawn. I'm getting the feeling that Rock (and all its subgenres) should never be institutionalized in this way.

The other day, I drove by some very well done graffiti. It was done in on the edge of the increasingly gentrified downtown Fargo. It was also done very much on purpose to decorate a part of a coffee shop. It struck me that it's not graffiti at that point - it's a spray-paint mural. It also struck me that, while well executed, it wasn't nearly as interesting as its illicit forebears that I could see on rail cars if I looked to my left. Graffiti doesn't make nearly as much impact when it ceases to be transgressive. It loses its story. 

I kind of feel similarly about rock and metal. There has been incredible musicianship, songwriting, and performing over the years; and I think it's important to recognize the contributions of the innovators. Some groups, like Led Zeppelin, are immense cultural touchpoints of their era and I do think it's important to recognize things like that. At the same time, I feel like a part of what makes rock exciting is the way it attracts and speaks to its listeners. It speaks directly to the individual, and individuals gather around it of their own volition. It's a band/fan interaction, at least in the way it's idealized. Institutionalizing it seems a little bit like taking it out of personal hands, wrapping it up, and telling the masses "You should listen to this, because we've deemed it good", which strikes me as yet another version of the pop music approach. In my mind, that detracts from its story.