Steven Tyler-Out on a Limb Tour -Washington DC

Yep....

Steven Tyler moved to Nashville and started writing songs with " new " people . His band is called LOVING MARY .(?)  He played a few of these new songs and I'm not rushing out to get the album .

So the idea behind this tour was to play small venues . The Warner holds maybe 1000 people and it was sold out . No opening act . The instant he walked on stage everybody stood up and remained standing the entire time .

The opening song was Sweet Emotion . Tyler talked a lot and told cool stories about his past and paid homage to his musical influences . He did a fair amount of cover songs . The high point was awesome versions of Janis Joplin tunes . I've never known a male vocalist to cover Janis . It was great . He also did most of the Aerosmith hits.....Walk this Way & Dream On . The encore was Train kept a Rollin' .

Everybody in the band played 10 instruments . I wasn't impressed with the guitar players . He had two women both with killer vocal skills . One played bass and the other girl played everything but harmonica was her best instrument IMHO . No displays of instrumental brilliance . In fact the songs were subdued . Many of the arrangements of the Aerosmith tunes were totally different .

Steven Tyler's voice sounds perfect . He got a little help from the ladies , like at the end of Dream On , but I detected no problems or computer generated magic .. He still has it . I was impressed . People went nuts .

He just wants to play the music HE wants to play . I'm convinced he just loves to play covers and it was clear he was having a blast . Plus he was in prime form . You'd never guess he is pushing 70 . 

Comments

• Jay GJay G Posts: 2,659
    Glad you guys enjoyed the show.  One of the best covers I have ever heard was a male version of Joplin.  Check out Cinderella doing Move Over.  I am sure it is available on line.
  • Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 17,486
    edited September 2016
    They've flogged Aerosmith all over the planet for decades.  Even if they love that music and the glory, I could see them being sick of it.  At this point, I can see why a gig like this would appeal to him, so why not?  Joe was doing his side thing with Depp, and had -- what was it? A mild heart attack?  What's not commonly known is how bad Steven't feet and joints are and the toll performing has taken on him. I can see the appeal of something lower key -- whether we care for it or not.  Aerosmith can always be resurrected when they feel like it. IMO, that's actually better than forcing out bad albums when they're not inspired.
    Post edited by Dinosaur David B on
    I ain't falling for no banana in the tailpipe.
  • DonthegreekDonthegreek Posts: 2,751
    edited September 2016

Steven was on jimmy fallon recently with his band and I thought they sounded great!

http://www.nbc.com/the-tonight-show/video/steven-tyler-were-all-somebody-from-somewhere/3079972

Post edited by Donthegreek on
  • jebbuddajebbudda Posts: 5,030
    I was a huge Aerosmith fan growing up . I recently revisited their first album and really enjoyed listening to it again . The guitar playing on those first four albums became the roots of my guitar vocabulary .

Steven Tyler talked about the " intimacy " of this tour . He claims the connection with the audience gets lost in the huge stadiums . Plus everything was "stripped down " . The production was at a minimum . He doesn't even show up for the sound check . " Its like we are all naked " , he said .

I believe a good portion of the proceeds support Tyler's charity for abused women . An employee at the venue said there was a VIP meet-n-greet .  I think you had to donate a ridiculous sum of money and you got to hang out on the side of the stage during the show . There was at least 30 people standing just off to the side the entire show .

Money must not be an issue . Raising money for charity is indeed admirable and took some of the pain out of dropping more cash than I ever have to see a concert .
  • I met Steven a long time ago. When I worked at the Strawberries Record Stores' home office, I had the opportunity to meet a TON of artists & musicians. Tyler stands out. He seemed to genuinely like me & my friend, made us feel like a million bucks, and seemed grateful for the comeback success. He was...a sweet guy. I'm not surprised he's doing this stuff for charity.I'm not surprised at his musical direction. You could FEEL love of life and music radiating off of him. It's corny-sounding, I know. The guy is a force of nature, a good soul, and knows he's a flawed human being. I wish him nothing but happiness or the chance for it.
  • jebbuddajebbudda Posts: 5,030
    I met Steven a long time ago. When I worked at the Strawberries Record Stores' home office, I had the opportunity to meet a TON of artists & musicians. Tyler stands out. He seemed to genuinely like me & my friend, made us feel like a million bucks, and seemed grateful for the comeback success. He was...a sweet guy. I'm not surprised he's doing this stuff for charity.I'm not surprised at his musical direction. You could FEEL love of life and music radiating off of him. It's corny-sounding, I know. The guy is a force of nature, a good soul, and knows he's a flawed human being. I wish him nothing but happiness or the chance for it.

I think your right on the money .  He is a force of nature ,