BOC live.

AgrippaAgrippa Posts: 5,450
edited August 2016 in CD, DVD, and Book Reviews
Last night was BOC night, a long time fan this is of course a FAN review.
The venue can hold 1200-1300 peeps, and was almost sold out. It was very very hot.

They took the stage more or less on time, and after a decent  version of "This Ain't The Summer Of Love" Eric Bloom told the audience that SAS had misplaced their gear, on the way from Hamburg to Copenhagen, on a flight less than 200 miles that's quite a feat to misplace a bands gear. Especially Buck struggled with a rather nice looking Les Paul that obviously had a faulty pick up switch. I also noticed he tried to fine tune using a pedalboard tuner, and gave up, and a couple of times during the show he spent a couple of moments tuning op by ear.
Eric seemingly had no problems with his borrowed red SG and Ritchie Castellano (Gtr. and Keys) played a lovely black gibson 335, that sounded real nice too, he was featured soloing during "Buck's Boogie" 2nd solo.
The set list was as follows:
1 This ain't the summer of love
2 Golden Age Of Leather
3 Burning For You
4 O.D'd on life itself
5 True Confessions
6 ME 262
7 Harvest Moon
8 The Vigil
9 Bucks Boogie
10 Then Came The Last Days Of May
11 Tattoo Vampire
12 Godzilla
13 Don't Fear The Reaper
Encores:
14 Hot Rails To Hell
15 Cities On Flame (With Rock'N' Roll)

I was satisfied, I love BOC, and they still sounded like BOC, yes, Erics voice was not good, in fact it's quite bad these days, but Buck hasn't lost anything, neither vocally or on guitar.
Their harmonies were real great too, I have for instance heard live versions of "Golden Age Of Leather" that were toenail curling-ly bad, but Kasim Sultan, Castellano og and Buck nailed it last night.
I had my "walker" with me, so I had a seat (I can no longer stand up for extended periods without getting excruciating back pains), and people in general were kind and very considerate.  My good friend Lisbeth fetched nice cold staropramen beer several times during the show because it was soo hot, so I was well pampered.

A good night and if you look at the set list you'll notice they played many of their older more rocking material (O:D'd on life itself, ME262, Hot Rails To Hell, Cities On Flame etc) the emphasis was on ROCK, not "Metal" or AOR.
And BOC is IMO still a very good ROCK band.

Post edited by Agrippa on

Comments

• Seven MoonsSeven Moons Posts: 7,902
    Glad you could make it to the show and enjoy it!  That's a very nice setlist IMO, with a good selection of songs from the "black&white" era, and from Agents of Fortune/Spectres.  It's a shame they couldn't use their proper gear. As for the performance, from what you're writing, it was not too different from when I saw them (though it was 8 years ago already). Eric does what he can with his shot voice, while Buck hasn't lost anything. No mean feat, given their age. 
  • inmyhandsinmyhands Posts: 11,077
    One of my favorite bands. Buck's always been a killer guitarist who ignores his age. BOC extended '70s Rock long past it's time period.
  • StitselStitsel Posts: 1,716
    This has been happening to Bloom for nary 20 years or so now; but still, to this day ....he can still sound great & like he's lost nothing. Depends on the night, or the venue, or whatever....I think.He's still got it.

I have tix to see 'em in my neck of the woods in Jan., really looking forward to it. Interesting to hear how pro & great those guys can sound on totally unfamiliar gear; that separates the boys from the men huh? 
  • VenomboyVenomboy Posts: 3,395
    I saw them for free at the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk a few weeks ago. They played an hour long set. I only know the names of their popular songs and have never owned a full album. They were pretty good.
  • Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 8,129
    Nice set list(although no "Veteran Of the Psychic Wars")....I have seen BOC probably about 4 times but I have not seen them since 1998 or so. Last time I saw them they had Bobby Rondinelli on drums.

I am surprised they played 'True Confessions" being that Allen Lanier died a while back. I think it was the only song he ever sang.
    VB, just pick up Workshop Of The Telescopes (a double CD compilation ) & that's a great start for the BOC newcomer..... otherwise some essential albums would be Secret Treaties, Cultosaurus Erectus & perhaps Specters & one or two of their live albums: On Your Feet Or On Your Knees & Some Enchanted Evening......but again....that's just for starters  ;)
  • TravisWTravisW Posts: 692
    I've been on a huge BOC kick for the past couple months. I saw them live a couple years back, and they were really good. Of course Buck's awesome, but Bloom was in fine voice that night as well. 
  • Seven MoonsSeven Moons Posts: 7,902
    Stitsel said:
    VB, just pick up Workshop Of The Telescopes (a double CD compilation ) & that's a great start for the BOC newcomer..... otherwise some essential albums would be Secret Treaties, Cultosaurus Erectus & perhaps Specters & one or two of their live albums: On Your Feet Or On Your Knees & Some Enchanted Evening......but again....that's just for starters  ;)
    I wholeheartedly second those recommendations!  I think Cultösaurus Erectus is a terrific starting place. The same year Martin Birch resurrected both Black Sabbath and BÖC... 
    Just saw 'em last Saturday night & was BLOWN AWAY..... they still sound so vital & current......Buck hasn't lost a thing & Bloom sounded pretty timeless too. Geez, these guys sound like they truly could keep it going forever....
  • Jay GJay G Posts: 2,531
    Have seen them about 6 times or so in the past 5 years and they have never disappointed though sometimes the sameness of the sets get old.  However I have seen a couple of shows in which they pulled out some more of the deeper stuff.
    edited February 1
     The Historic Everett Theatre  Everett,WA 1/28/17 
    01The Red & The Black
    02Golden Age of Leather
    03Burnin' For You
    04Before The Kiss
    05OD'd On Life Itself
    06Shooting Shark
    07The Vigil
    08Me262
    09Buck's Boogie
    10Lips in the Hills
    11Last Days Of May
    12True Confessions
    13Tattoo Vampire
    14Godzilla
    Encore15    (Don't Fear) The Reaper  

16Hot Rails To Hell
    17I Love The Night
    18Cities On Flame

Not a bad setlist eh? They played for about 2 hrs or so.....

Post edited by Stitsel on
  • DonthegreekDonthegreek Posts: 2,489

I think a good starting point is the 1st album....and go from there...2nd , 3rd etc....

Good point ....  B)