Trying the Sik Pik

Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 18,283
edited June 2016 in Technique Forum
Saw these in a video, and I figured I'd try them.  The idea is you get the downward pick slanting + edge picking benefits while keeping your hand at a "normal" angle -- which may help with palm muting as well.  I got the sample pack shown below and seem to be doing best with the D35.  Don't know if I'll stick with them, but it works pretty well. 

Post edited by Dinosaur David B on
I threw me guitar out. Why bother? Why bother? Use it as a coffee table. Because I can't play it like that. 
-- David St. Hubbins.

Comments

• Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 18,283
    Early impression:
    I think I like these. Not only does it provide the downward pick slanting + edge picking benefits it also seems to provide a bit better precision than my Dunlop Tortex because the point is finer, and point angle of it is more acute. But while it makes lead work more precise, you need to make minor adjustments for rhythm work.

Here's the video where I saw them.  At about 1:11 you can see how they work quite clearly 

I threw me guitar out. Why bother? Why bother? Use it as a coffee table. Because I can't play it like that. 
    -- David St. Hubbins.
  • DargavelDargavel Posts: 614
    Those look pretty interesting. They remind me of how my Jazz IIIs look after I've broken them in. Where do you get them?
    edited June 2016
    In the US, you can get them from John Taylor -- the guy in the video (seems like a good guy)
    here: https://www.milehighshred.com/store/c1/Featured_Products.html

They're also on Amazon, but cheaper at MHS.

Get the sample pack first to figure out which one works best for you. 

-- David St. Hubbins.
  • DynagodDynagod Posts: 971
    edited July 2016
    Remeber these things?

I tried it for awhile YEARS ago but they had no attack for rhythm and it defeats the forward angle picking thats so critical for speed and accuracy.
    I believe they were purely for practice.

\

Post edited by Dynagod on
    Andy G was just telling be about these yesterday. 
    -- David St. Hubbins.
  • TravisWTravisW Posts: 1,047
    I had the stylus many years ago. The main point (no pun intended) was to teach you to not push too much pick through the strings. If you picked too deep, the string climbed the pick and whatever you were playing turned into a screwed up "droink!" sound. 
  • inmyhandsinmyhands Posts: 11,704
    I don't know. The Sik Pick may be a good idea. If they help someone play better then have at em'. As far as those Stylus Pick jobber-do's ....... none of my current tonal preferences include droinking so I would have to take a pass.
    edited July 2016
    So after a healthy bit of technique practice with the Sik Pik, I went back to trying to play full songs with it, and while I DO like if for lead, I found I wasn't really happy with it for rhythm work.  I could probably get used to it, but I don't know that I should try.

Going back to my purple tortex, I immediately missed the added precision of the Sik Pik's pointier point. So I'm going to try the purple tortex sharp which has the same thickness and feel, but is pointier. 
    -- David St. Hubbins.
  • SkyeSkye Posts: 1,680
    Dynagod said:
    Remeber these things?

I tried it for awhile YEARS ago but they had no attack for rhythm and it defeats the forward angle picking thats so critical for speed and accuracy.
    I believe they were purely for practice.

\

Yup - I had them. Used them early on for picking practice, but in the end just went back to practicing with a normal pick.
  • mr_crowleymr_crowley Posts: 6,655
    edited July 2016
    Going back to my purple tortex, I immediately missed the added precision of the Sik Pik's pointier point. So I'm going to try the purple tortex sharp which has the same thickness and feel, but is pointier. 

This is the crucial thing for me when it comes to picks, they got to be really pointy otherwise all kinds of precision vanishes. That's why I use the JazzIII, they are very sharp and accurate. If you can't get used to the small size of them they do come as XLs as well! :)
    Post edited by mr_crowley on
  • VenomboyVenomboy Posts: 3,601
    My favorite picks are the Pickboy Carbon Nylon picks. They are very sharp and tend to stay sharp.