Santana 4

Been listening to the new Santana 4 album.  Its the players who made the original Santana 3 back in the day when Neal Schon was 15 or 16.  This is a real return to form.   I've hated the last 7 or 8 albums which were Carlos cashing it in.   But this has a proper Santana vibe to it and is very enjoyable.

We all know Schon is a blistering player and that's pretty well what he does across the album.  Carlos plays the unique sounding melodies and fills that are his trademark.  Schon has a couple of songs where he is in charge but he's really there to blast away and he does that well although his shreddy licks are a little similar.

A nice mixture of up-tempo and slow tracks

Comments

• jebbuddajebbudda Posts: 5,030
    OK .

I was wondering about this .

Sounds like I need to check it out . I'm a Neal Schon fan under the right conditions .
  • DonthegreekDonthegreek Posts: 2,770

Just got my copy today. Though Schon does his usual blazing solos, I think there's lots of melodic stuff as well. Some songs don't have solo's.....anyway...got 2 plays in and I love it.

• cvansicklecvansickle Posts: 6,211
    I just listened to a couple tracks over in the Video thread. I gotta say, I don't dislike this. And yeah, it's very different and gutsier than the "Smooth" kind of stuff Santana's been foisting on us in the last 20-ish years.
    Death Or Glory - Who Dares Wins!
  • inmyhandsinmyhands Posts: 11,650
    Damn. Back to itunes.
  • Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,456
    I think it's great Greg Rollie is back. Always dug his voice and playing. The one song I heard seemed harken back to the early 70's sound....instead of the crowd pleasing pop garbage he has been putting out for almost 20 years. Hopefully playing with Schon lights a fire under Santana's ass.....because besides some of his 70's material and live performances....I haven't been very impressed by him.
  • Dr NickDr Nick Posts: 3,605
    Is it worth getting? I quite liked Supernatural, and Shamen has it's moments too, but after that it's been progressively worse and worse. 
    That covers album was a turd of the worst kind.
  • DonthegreekDonthegreek Posts: 2,770

Here's the whole cd for those of you that want to hear it. It has some commercial pop stuff and some stuff that's not. I think its great!