Bonamassa new album success and a HEAVY RIFF

The SeekerThe Seeker Posts: 601

I know he's not everybody's cup of tea, but the new album is out and has had huge 1st week success.

Debuted at #3  in the main UK Chart

Debuted at #12 in the main Billboard Chart

Debuted at #1 in the Billboard Blues chart

Debuted at #2 in the Billboard Rock Chart

For those who think hes never written a decent rock riff, here's a link to one of the heaviest and 'riffiest' tracks on the album

Post edited by The Seeker on

Comments

• Was digging it right up until he opened his mouth.  
    "These riffs were built to last a lifetime." Keith Richards B)

BDR-529  

Member:
    Squier Army
    Schecter Society

• Look, I applaud his effort to try and be more than blues. He's a way better guitarist than I'll ever be, but I've rejected riffs that are better than that one. 
    In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
  • MAdXMAdX Posts: 1,993
    Look, I applaud his effort to try and be more than blues. He's a way better guitarist than I'll ever be, but I've rejected riffs that are better than that one. 
    I think it's OK, a pretty decent riff, but nothing that can carry a song by itself. Fortunately, the song has some interesting parts to it as well. My problem with John's music is that it's just too polished and "nice" to convince me. He's not really taking any risks with his music, but get's commercial success as a result, so more power to him. 

Maybe it's the kind of music you have to produce if you want to make it as a guitar hero these days. 
  • The SeekerThe Seeker Posts: 601

Joe's an independent.   No record company support at all.  When they first started, Joe and his business partner Roy booked all the venues, hotels, musicians, vans, sessions etc personally and paid for them, hoping to make a profit. 

That model still holds, albeit with a small admin team at J&R Adventures. 

I've mentioned before that the early albums and 3-piece gigs are completely different to what you see now.  But every album is different.  This one is predominantly a power trio with 2 drummers throughout and almost no keyboards. 

I'm not a fan of Kevin Shirleys production and have been attacked several times on the JB forum for saying Joe should move on.  But its  difficult to argue with the success he is getting.   Personally, I love this track and think Shirley has got a real big sound out of it and it grooves.

• bourbonsamuraibourbonsamurai Posts: 1,559
    since the early days, i've disliked his singing, loved his playing.  his guitar tone is instantly identifiable.  the older he gets, the more i like his singing, though.  as far as songs, i like sloe gin.  he does a great cover of just got paid.  i didn't like Kenny Wayne Shepherd when Ledbetter Heights came out, either, but i like him now, too.