For the Beatles fans -- Gilbert and Portnoy at it again

Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 17,783
Spectacular.

2+hours

Smallest kit you'll ever see Portnoy on. :chuckle:
In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

Comments

• inmyhandsinmyhands Posts: 11,652
    Thank You, Thank You, Thank You! I needed that so bad! It's been tough over the last 6 months or so and then what with all the deaths occurring in January of 2016 it's like .... well ....a little piece of hell has been bumping me in the shoulders reminding me that time is no longer a friend or me or mine. I loved watching the kids play dads music !!!
  • SkyeSkye Posts: 1,661
    These guys are such great musicians - they can play anything.

Spectacular.  :up:
  • mr_crowleymr_crowley Posts: 6,618
    I've just seen out takes from that one before - gotta watch the whole thing when I find the time. Thank you! :up:

It isn't the smallest kit Portnoy played on though:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aL2I--TCHM
    :chuckle: :chuckle:
  • VandenbergVandenberg Posts: 3,896
    Great to see these guys do this, but spectacular?  No,  that's a bit to much imho,  there are far better Beatles tribute acts out there than this,  a bunch of very talented musicians playing Beatles songs sums this up at best. Some very nice song choices though. 
  • I didn't at realize at first this was an additional go around.
    I've watched only a little of it so far, but I'm happy to keep the rest on deck. Thanks again, Dave. I never would have randomly happened upon this myself. I'm a jackass about keeping up with stuff...  :oy:
  • EugenicScumEugenicScum Posts: 5,323
    Watched the first 15 minutes and it's great, but whatever I saw of The Who tribute by the same duo looked more authentic. The band members' get-up, drums being smashed etc,
    Check out my band: Bevar Sea
  • inmyhandsinmyhands Posts: 11,652
              What captured me and made me feel so good inside was seeing a group of legitimate expert musicians that included members who could waste the instrumental skill levels of The Beatles time period, looking proud and happy and virtually ecstatic as they performed the words and music of my favorite band in a manner that suggested at least respect and possibly reverence for the melody and written word. I agree that the skill level introduced by Eddie, Satch, Vai, Eric Johnson. Paul Gilbert and so many others is a bar raised and raised again since the music of my heart and my youth. The fact that players, with a skill level to play, pluck, beat out and produce more notes than my ears can truly decipher, personally chose to recreate the essence of The Beatles for fans of the same and restrain their ability in appreciation of the simple honesty and genius of the songwriting skills of four boys from Liverpool .... well .... I say thank you. You've made my day.
  • I saw of The Who tribute by the same duo looked more authentic. The band members' get-up, drums being smashed etc,
    Yeah, the Who one (with Billy Sheehan on bass) was done later (with more visual flavor) and in some ways, even more impressive, though Gary Cherone was only adequate at best.  If they'd had Hagar on vocals, it would have been vocally superior.
    In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
  • EugenicScumEugenicScum Posts: 5,323
    It's funny about Cherone. He was flat as hell on concerts a few years ago including the one we are talking about and the Guitar Wars thing with Gilbert, Nuno, and Hackett,  but when the time came for an Extreme reunion, he was spot on again. There's a 'live in Boston'  dvd up on youtube where he's better than ever. Doctored?
    Check out my band: Bevar Sea