The holy grail that is an original 1958 Flying V that Bonamassa has just aquired

The SeekerThe Seeker Posts: 593
Really nice story and video

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/2015/12/07/vintage-guitar-flies-back-indy/75881024/

Heres a clip at Norms rare guitars when he finds it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfvGlOt0R48

And he's playing it live. Its not in a vault
Post edited by dinomikesr1963 on

Comments

• That is a nice story.

:offtopic:
    If you like stories like this, this book is a good read:
    http://www.amazon.com/Strat-Attic-Thrilling-Stories-Archaeology/dp/0760343853

I read it on the way out to NAMM last year. Fun stuff. There is a volume 2 I have not read yet.
    In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
  • AgrippaAgrippa Posts: 5,913
    Back in the 80s my band shared rehearsal space with another band, and I noticed the guitar player had a real nice vintage white tele with a "slab" rosewood fretboard.
    I asked him about it and he told me that it was a 59, I couldn't believe it because it was beyond mint, and he said he had found it at his late uncles appartment, in an original tweed case under a cubboard or something.
    His uncle was apparently an alcoholic recluse or something, and noone in his family had ever even seen the guy play guitar. But apparently he had bought a 59 tele at some time, and never really even taken it out of the case.

Shit like that never happens to me (finding cool vintage guitars, that is, I'll probably die alone and alcohoholized though).
  • Yeah, there used to be lots of stories like that.  Kid buys 59 Gibson or Fender, rarely plays, goes off to Vietnam and gets killed. Parents don't know what they have and sell it later for a few hundred bucks in the 70s.  

Billy Gibbons getting Pearly:
    A player friend of mine reported that he saw a Les Paul Sunburst somewhere. I found the owner, of course. The owner said that he did not play it anymore and that he kept it under the bed. So I started negotiating. The owner complained about the Les Paul being heavy and that he would consider parting with it if I could come up with a lighter weight SG plus some money.

I did not have the money right then but fortunately the money came in just before the time limit the owner had set. About a month prior to this, a girlfriend of mine was trying to go to California to get a role in a movie. I had a '36 Packard, so I let her borrow that. She got the role and returned the favor by selling the car at a good price. The money arrived on the due date of the guitar deal. The car had a nickname "Pearly Gates", so I gave the name to the guitar.

Stories like that don't happen so much anymore, but they do happen. That book is full of them.
    In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
  • VenomboyVenomboy Posts: 3,601
    Years ago on the Jackson forum a guy picked up a 1982-ish Charvel at a garage sale from an old lady. B/W bullseye paint job...got it for like $250.

I found my BC Rich Explorer bass on craigslist for stupid cheap. Younger kid had it, knew what it was, knew it was rare, just wanted to sell it. There were probably 12 of these made.
  • Seven MoonsSeven Moons Posts: 8,763
    [quote author=Agrippa link=topic=17867.msg268367#msg268367 date=1449676087]
    Back in the 80s my band shared rehearsal space with another band, and I noticed the guitar player had a real nice vintage white tele with a "slab" rosewood fretboard.
    I asked him about it and he told me that it was a 59, I couldn't believe it because it was beyond mint, and he said he had found it at his late uncles appartment, in an original tweed case under a cubboard or something.
    His uncle was apparently an alcoholic recluse or something, and noone in his family had ever even seen the guy play guitar. But apparently he had bought a 59 tele at some time, and never really even taken it out of the case.

Shit like that never happens to me (finding cool vintage guitars, that is, I'll probably die alone and alcohoholized though).
    [/quote]

A related thing happened to a friend of mine, it was in 1983 or 1984. We were teenagers, and we knew an older guy who was a total asshole but owned a Butterscotch blonde Telecaster 1957. This guy had bought it from some druggie who was playing reggae - both of them were clueless about the real value of the instrument and treated it like dogshit. My friend said he liked the guitar, and the guy told him he would sell it for a sum which was approximatively the price of an entry level Aria Pro II...  Of course, my friend got super excited and broke his money box. But when he took the guitar home, his parents forced him to bring it back and reclaim the money, because they found the guitar looked like a derelict (it was indeed dirty and worn out, but in a "normal" way) and they thought their son had been screwed  :doh:  Whatever he could explain to them, they didn't believe. He's now 49, and when I meet him, he always ends up re-telling the story. He's still sick about it  :LOL:
  • The best history (with some diferent vibe) it's the recovering of the lost guitar of Peter Frampton.,
    http://ultimateclassicrock.com/peter-frampton-recovers-guitar/
  • Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,435
    [quote author=eduardoritos link=topic=17867.msg268392#msg268392 date=1449731437]
    The best history (with some diferent vibe) it's the recovering of the lost guitar of Peter Frampton.,
    http://ultimateclassicrock.com/peter-frampton-recovers-guitar/
    [/quote]

Yeah I agree. I thought that was an amazing store when it happened.
  • TravisWTravisW Posts: 988
    Another guitar Bonamassa now has is a similar "Found under a bed" story. It's a 1956 LP Goldtop in factory Brown (yes, a brown goldtop). The buyer had evidently requested that it be brown, so Gibson took a goldtop, and gave it a brown finish and knobs courtesy of the lap steel line. A former co-worker of mine's uncle wound up with it, and former co-worker wound up with it. I got to play it a few times, both privately and out live. Fantastic guitar. He ultimately took it to Gruhn and from there it wound up in Bonamassa's hands.

It's the first guitar in this vid:

https://www.facebook.com/JoeBonamassa/videos/10153229868124659/
  • Would love to read the story but can't get the pop ups to stop so said fuck it.  :chainsaw:
    "These riffs were built to last a lifetime." Keith Richards B)

BDR-529  

Member:
    Squier Army
    Schecter Society

• DynagodDynagod Posts: 971
    edited May 2018
    I had the chance to play an original 58 Koriina V and it was not a good instrument to play.
    The Koa wood made the neck heavier than the body and the way the neck is set into it doesnt do a good job of transferring all the vibrational energy.
    It was unwieldy and had a thin, nasally abrasive tone.

Post edited by Dynagod on
  • Tatosh GuitarTatosh Guitar Posts: 1,862
    A lot of my gear comes from people who didn't know what they had. As the internet grew and people started checking stuff, these stories become more and more rare, but up until 10 or 15 years ago you could get good deals locally if you knew what to look for.

I own two vintage Marshalls (a 1969 and a 1971) I get calls with offers for those all the time. I paid peanuts for them, and I could probably get 10 times what i paid if i wanted to sell them. I also have a 1984 Explorer and a 1988 Charvel (not that hard to find, but still old and special to some people) I am pretty sure I could make a lot of money from that Explorer from a Metallica fan. It's downright identical to the one Hetfield used to play around the lighting/puppets era, down to the same year of production. I have never seen the serial number on Het's, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were close. 

I knew a guy who had a 1968 Les Paul Custom and I tried to get it from him years ago, but his maid dropped it and the infamous headstock damage happened. He lost interest in playing and kinda disappeared after that. I don't know what happened to the guitar either.

My former father in law is a musician and used to tell me stories of him playing in small towns as a teen. he mentioned me guys, former bandmates of him, who used to play with original Vox AC30s from the 60's. i actually considered going on a roadtrip to look for these.