the wisdom of buddy rich..

bourbonsamuraibourbonsamurai Posts: 1,567
ONE MORE FUCKIN' CLAM, AND THIS BAND IS THROUGH!  TRY ME!

Comments

• Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,463
    I have a cassette lying around somewhere that has one of the Bus tirades on it.....it's the one where he goes off on the band for having beards....and he tries to kick one guy off the bus. I first heard this around the early 90's. At the time I thought the guy was just a difficult asshole.....but I guess he was more of a perfectionist who expected the same out of others. The guy was an amazing musician and band leader and came from a time when anything below greatness was not tolerated. These younger guys in the 80's at the time of these bus recordings probably were not used to Buddy's kind of work ethic.

...nonetheless these recordings are pretty entertaining to listen to....
  • i was just discussing this yesterday.  the standards used to be much higher for musicianship.  not necessarily raw chops and technique, but dynamics, timing, taste, etc.  i used to play on Frenchmen occasionally with a dude named Mike Sklar.  that fucker could hear, and remember, ANYTHING and EVERYTHING.  you'd think you snuck one by him, and he'd call you out on it after the gig.  he could describe the mistake in detail and place it in context.  pretty rad, but not always pretty fun.
  • TravisWTravisW Posts: 988
    The Buddy Rich recordings are comedy gold (even to Seinfeld). What was interesting was the first time I read the "positive note" section of this page: http://trackdrummer.com/other-services/buddy-rich-audio-page/

I had always considered that Buddy Rich was hard to play with, and maybe he was. But then we've all had our Buddy Rich moments.
  • He might have been right, or he may have been wrong, but one thing's for sure: NO ONE EVER had a good word to say about this guy (as a person).
    In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
  • inmyhandsinmyhands Posts: 11,652
          And yet during his time virtually all drummers considered Buddy the best of the best. Jazz, Big Band and Fusion drummers near worshiped his skill level. If he was loved by anyone it was "The Rat Pack", (and peripheral members like Johnny Carson). Then again the whole rat pack were highly talented, "I know I'm the best", types. I loved their talent but couldn't stand their self praise and self worship. I think they all wore little religious metals with their own "winged" selves on the front and a prayer to their own name on the back.
          I bought a St. Sammy metal once when I was working on a hard rock version of Mr. Bojangles, but, it didn't work.
  • [quote author=Dinosaur David B link=topic=17849.msg268564#msg268564 date=1450181612]
    He might have been right, or he may have been wrong, but one thing's for sure: NO ONE EVER had a good word to say about this guy (as a person).
    [/quote]
    every bandeader i ever worked for that was worth a shit was a HUGE asshole.  when i used to gig full time, i always knew if the band was worthwhile, in part, by what they said to each other during load in/out, and on set breaks.  "man you sounded GREAT" was NEVER a good sign.  if the band sounds great, nobody need mention it, cause everybody feels it.  the bands that chewed each others asses, and had a reasonable amount of intrapersonal friction always were the best, in my experience, to the point where i would seek out the biggest assholes and douchebags for work.