Does different scale lenght affect your playing? Do you prefer one?

2»

Comments

• AgrippaAgrippa Posts: 5,980
    I've always been hysterical about scale length, it HAD to be 25½", but a couple of years ago I bought an old Ibby Destroyer, and I didn't even notice that it actually is 24,75", so I guess it doesn't make that much of a difference after all..
    My 7 strings however can't be any shorter than 25½"
    I'm actually in the market for a multiscale 7 string, probably a Carvin Vader. To me that "solution" makes a lot o sense.

• inmyhandsinmyhands Posts: 11,704
            It depends on what I'm attempting to play but, if it's about my left hand reaching wide spreads or lead runs below the seventh fret, I vastly prefer the Gibson scale. My recent Eastman acoustic purchase was partially based on it having a short scale and a wide 1 3/4" nut width. I have short thick fingers. A lot of what Eric Johnson does on his Strat I can only play on a Gibson. On the 25.5"  Fender scale I just can't reach the notes from a barred position the way he does and he does this a lot. I'm just a much faster and better player on a Gibson scale length neck.
             A 1 5/8" vintage Fender nut width is useless to me. All of my electrics have a 1 11/16" nut width and I wish I could get them with a 1 3/4" nut width. I know this thread wasn't about nut width but short thick fingers have multiple needs.