Write an Alchemy profile on yourself!

Comments

• Nah. Yngwie is Yngwie's biggest fan.  :chuckle:
    I ain't falling for no banana in the tailpipe.
  • BTW, Dave, thank you for cleaning up mah presentation.
  • [quote author=Dr Nick link=topic=17608.msg268463#msg268463 date=1449915448]
    Yes, I like it. A load of fake profiles.

Where's that list of profile dodgers...

As an aside, some of the pics look familiar.

Duojett71 must be related to Mick Box.
    Mr Crowley looks very similar to Rob Marcello.
    AJ Huckleberry could be Frank Gambale's twin.
    Red SG has more than a passing resemblance to Josh Widdicombe (don't hate me).
    And I still think my uncle Tony rose from the dead and changed his name to Whoopass1
    [/quote]

I have not ONE fanned fret, sir.

Grumble. Heard that before...
  • Dr NickDr Nick Posts: 3,556

No offence meant guv', didn't mean anything by it.

I keep getting compared to Hank Marvin! Now THAT's offensive...

:chainsaw:
  • HaffnerHaffner Posts: 7,805
    [quote author=Dr Nick link=topic=17608.msg268850#msg268850 date=1450960490]

[/quote]

Hank Marvin rules!
  • [quote author=Dr Nick link=topic=17608.msg268850#msg268850 date=1450960490]

[/quote]

LOL. No offense taken! It's spot on!
  • Me thinks some of you still owe us profiles.

:naughty:
  • yngwie666yngwie666 Posts: 6,551

Early Theropod or Advanced Theropod

Groupology

Heavy stick / Bloody Beast / Escape: mostly Maiden and NWOFBHM covers
    Antinea: rock/hard covers

Famous / Infamous for

Gear
    Patrice has spend many year playing the same Marshall Valvestate and a Corean guitar. Then he got divorced and around the same time discovered some guitar sites on the internet and then eBay (bought his first US made guitar in 2001)...And GAS hit him hard ! So the picture above is: a guy working in a suit but who plays guitars as a hobby (kinda like the Dino version of a dentist on TGP forum, except he works in IT) . Patrice tends to buy signature guitars (Dino exclusively) and/or gear from the 80's that he couldn't afford back then (i.e: old Flying V, Charvel,...).  Because he's a geek and he has some degrees in electronics, he also started to learn about and build tube amps. Beside the luthier work, he could almost be a guitar tech when it comes to amp/pedals, etc....

YouTube channel
    Being self taught for 20 years,  Patrice came across a poster for a free guitar lesson and then he realized he was really far from what he thought he was as  guitarist  :down:. His guitar teacher later told him to make some videos of himself playing so he could see and hear how he played.  He started his Youtube channel and it's a kind of exercise for him to learn and post a solo that he has spend some time to learn, demo some amp or simply show off one of his latest toy !  :evillaugh: Strangely he has now 350k views, with good and bad comments...Last month a guy said he loved his channel and wanted to buy his JCM1, so he sold it to him. Internet is still full of surprises, sometimes. 

Being lazy
    Patrice never wrote any song. He cannot really improvise and he mostly play covers.

Influences

Obvious
    It was because of Eddie Van Halen that Patrice wanted to play guitar. Later he became a bit obsessed by Malmsteen and playing fast ! His other influences: Jake E Lee, R. Rhoads and he probably tried to play at least some riffs/solo of most of Dino famous players out there,  even Kirk Hammett.

Not-So Obvious
    Angus Young: Patrice is big fan of AC/DC
    Gary Moore: hard to sound like him but he always liked his style, especially the right hand attack.
    Patrice always loved Nile Rodgers but he just wishes he could play that funky !

Strengths

Technique
    Patrice can play (at a decent level), a  good panel of techniques such as alternate picking, fast picking, sweeping, tapping, taped and pinched harmonics, wide stretch, string skipping, etc...But he totally sucks at finger picking, chicken picking, jazz chords and everything that is not used in hard rock/metal/shred.

Speed
    Patrice can play some fast Yngwie licks almost at same speed.

Weaknesses
    Patrice lacks composition skills. He doesn' t really know scales  (he knows the theory behind but cannot use it). He relies too much on tabs instead of using his ears like when he was using a tape to learn solos.

Tone
    Patrice is a tone chaser: he buy tons of gear to copy the tone of his idols, up to the same vintage pedal, pickups, amp mods....His tone however revolves around a modded Marshall with a superstrat into a 4x12 with Celestion Greenbacks. Patrice use attenuators to push his 50W and 100W amps but still plays with a certain level of decibels.

Guitar Style
    Patrice's guitar style is not really distinctive or original, mostly a patchwork of stolen techniques, riff and solo bits from his idols.

Rhythm Style
    Having played mostly lead guitar in his bands and later without back tracks nor metronome, Patrice is a lousy rhythm player. For this reason he started to play drums and tried as a guitarist to focus more on playing "in the pocket" (if we can use this expression when the rest of the band is most of the time a backtrack). His most proud achievement so far is to play the intro of "I'm the one" by Van Halen (who is a terrific rhythm player). Took him only a few years. Patrice's is now looking forward to learn some modem metal rhythm (Megadeth comes to mind).

Lead Style
    Patrice likes to shred and play "flashy" stuff that makes his non playing friends go "Wow !!!"... Sometimes his bends are off because back when he started he didn't know what was a bend and just played the 10th fret on something that was tabbed as 8-(10).

Vibrato
    Patrice has seen video of Kirk Hammett and decided that was not the right way to play vibrato, so his vibrato is better but it probably changes with the song.

Recommended listening
    www.youtube.com/patricefrey
  • jebbuddajebbudda Posts: 5,030
    Patrice does indeed have a natural ability to rip some Yngwie inspired licks that make me scratch my head in disbelief .

It must be a European thing . It doesn't come naturally to me .
  • :clap1:
  • Tatosh GuitarTatosh Guitar Posts: 1,709
    edited December 2016

Santiago Molina (Tatosh Guitar)

Groupology
    None worth mentioning

Jurassic

Famous for / Infamous for
    Trying to become an 80’s guitar god in the 90’s, right when grunge was taking over. Knowing everyone on the local rock scene but never playing in bands for long periods of time. Being much disorganized in his learning of the instrument and becoming a more proficient lead player than a rhythm player, thus not being able to carry a tune for a long time. Being obsessed with guitar tone and amps more than with actually practicing. Owning more guitars and amps that he obviously needs and uses. Being a 70’s and 80’s hard rock and metal encyclopedia (according to his friends, but just a newbie compared to people from online forums). Lurking in Dinosaur Rock Guitar for over 10 years before joining.

Influences
    Obvious

Glenn Tipton, KK Downing, Adrian Smith, Dave Murray, Mathias Jabs, Randy Rhoads, Yngwie J Malmsteen , Walter Giardino, Chris De Garmo, Michael Wilton, Kai Hansen, Michael Weikath, Roland Grapow,  Wolf Hoffman.

Santiago came of age when bands like Metallica and Guns N’ Roses were at their highest level of popularity, and that was his formal introduction to hard rock and metal. A friend of his, a total metalhead, took pity of Santiago’s lack of formal education and introduced him to the likes of Priest, Maiden and Scorpions, which lead to a lifelong obsession on the genre in general and metal guitar in particular. Santiago sounds very british when riffing or playing melodies, but goes for the 80’s lead type of playing, both German and American in flavor.

Not-So Obvious

Ritchie Blackmore, Michael Schenker, Uli Jon Roth, Gary Moore, John Sykes, Vivian Campbell, Jake E Lee, Alex Skolnik, George Lynch and lately, Warren De Martini. Also, Santiago likes non-dino players like Gilmour, Eric Johnson and Al DiMeola. Santiago had never heard Rory Gallager until recently and found the melodic sense and style reminiscent to what he would play left to his own devices on a blues track, but maybe that’s his ego talking.

Most of these players were HUGE influences on Santiago, but his lack of technical ability makes him unable to play with their level of skill and finesse. Also, people will think he got his legato from Rhoads, but he got it mostly from Murray. The right hand picking people think he got from Moore, but he got it from Hansen and to a lesser degree, DiMeola. The tapping people think he got from Van Halen, but he actually got it from Tipton’s lead on Hell Bent for Leather. Also, because thrash metal was huge when he was learning, Santiago will often riff in a style reminiscent of Hetfield, Mustaine and the like, but this has more to do with how he learned rather than his particular taste. Santiago has been told by his friends that his playing reminds them of Kirk Hammett. He hasn’t spoken to these friends often since then.

Strengths

Melodic sense. When soloing, Santiago has a very developed melodic ear and often plays leads that can be hummable easily. He considers himself a natural lead player, while the rhythm stuff came way later and is more of a learned skill.

Ear. Santiago has a great ear and is unsure if he has perfect pitch, but if he doesn’t he’s close, and can often tell when a someone is singing or playing out of pitch. He can play melodies after listening to them once, and can often figure out songs without visual guides or tablature. Santiago learned back when YouTube tutorials weren’t even an idea, so he had to develop without such aid.

Acoustic Playing. Because Santiago was born in Mexico, folk songs and ranchero music were everywhere, and he was expected to be able to play that in parties and sing traditional songs as soon as people heard he played. But instead of just sticking to the traditional barre chords and fooling around with them, Santiago learned some classical by himself and can actually finger pick the proper way. In a place when most of his metal friends can’t really make an acoustic sound good, Santiago has received praise from his acoustic playing, but he can’t do the over the top classical or flamenco thing.

Weaknesses
    Songwriting. Santiago has never written a song and would be lost if somebody asked him to come up with lyrics. However, He’s very effective when creating solos for songs once they are written.

Consistency. Due to his lack of proper training his guitar skills are all over the place. He only had like two weeks of guitar lessons when he was 16 and from then on left to his own devices in an era when guitar magazines only focused on styles he wasn’t interested on, and before the internet explosion. He has trouble finding time to practice, and as such, some days he will be able to play Carry on my Wayward Son just fine, then the next day he’ll struggle with Paranoid.

Technique. Santiago has always had trouble with noise when soloing and has yet to find a way to mute the strings properly. As good as he sounds on an acoustic, where he usually can make it work, on a distorted tone sometimes he gets it right, sometimes he doesn’t. Also, as much as he practices he never seems to gain more speed when soloing. He seems stuck on the same gear regardless of the effort he employs. It’s like his fingers peaked at some speed and stayed there.

Hair. Santiago always entertained the idea of having hair akin to the typical 80’s rock star. But genetics had another plan and he’s losing hair at increasingly speed as he approaches the big 40. If Santiago could move his hands as fast as his head is losing hair he would die a happy man.

Tone
    Santiago likes how the big amps of the 70’s and 80’s sounded and back then almost everybody used Marshalls. So he usually tends to stick to the British flavor when dialing his tone, even with pedals.

Santiago is mostly a Super Strat player, but also owns Gibson flavored guitars. Since all of his guitars have humbucker pickups on the bridge and a couple on the neck position as well, his tone is reminiscent to the guitar tones caught on early NWOBHM records, at least to him.

Santiago owns vintage amps, but their size and sound levels make them unpractical for home use. So he employs a Fender with el84’s and a 12” speaker and gets all his gain from pedals. Generally speaking he uses more gain than Moore, Blackmore or Schenker, but not as much as Sykes and definitely not like the Thrash dudes he grew up listening. For clean sounds, he’ll play a nylon string acoustic or an electroacoustic more often than not and really doesn’t use the clean channel on his amps except when using pedals.

For effects, Santiago has a Crybaby, an analog delay and a chorus, but he doesn’t really use them unless the particular song he’s playing features the effect prominently. Otherwise, he tends to run his signal pretty dry, except for overdrive pedals in the British flavor.

Guitar Style
    Rhythm Style

Santiago is all over the place as a Rhythm player. He can play riffs in the thrash flavor, with strong emphasis on low E and A string palm muting, but seldom does it, and prefers to go for the vintage flavor of his favorite players. He favors power chords like Priest, Maiden and Schenker, and 4ths like Blackmore. He knows the open chords that AC/DC play, but he doesn’t seem to have mastered that style in more than 20 years. Santiago is a very HEAVY METAL type of player when playing fast songs, but when jamming on his own he likes playing stuff like Aerosmith or Toto to add some groove to his style. He tends to get bored easily with repetitive riffing, so he adds an extra fill here and there when there’s space. Or to make that more clear, he will play (or try) a Sabbath song the way Rhoads played those instead of Iommi. He uses heavy picks and can’t really play with the thin ones, so his attack is very percussive and resonating.

Lead Style

Santiago is not a schooled player, and what he knows took years of trial and experimentation on his own. He loves 70’s hard rock and tries to go for that approach when soloing, but he also knows a couple of tricks from the 80’s, even if not with the same finesse as the shred guys. He tends to be very melodic as a soloist, and has trouble when the songs require a wild and messy lead. He most often than not plays a strat due to Dave Murray and Yngwie, which were huge to him back in the day, and like Blackmore and Malmsteen, he never uses the middle pickup on a Strat. He sticks with the bridge pickup for aggressive leads and the neck when playing a slow, soulful one.

Scale wise, he is mostly a pentatonic player, but he adds Phrygian and harmonic minor flavors very often. He knows one basic shape for sweeping, and can’t really do the shrapnel records thing, instead of going for the Maiden, Priest approach when soloing. He is not a strong legato player, but can do a little here and there. He can alternate pick and can play very fast sometimes but otherwise he tends to stick for the same speed when soloing. He can tap the way Rhoads, EVH and the rest of the 80’s guy did, but he can’t do the whole multi string tapping parts. He sometimes uses tremolo picking and because he grew up listening to plenty of power metal, can play harmonized leads, but he hasn’t done that in a while. Because he listened to the right guys, he has a very good idea of what sounds good and what doesn’t, so he will stick to what he is good at and forget the rest. He wishes he could add things in the Lee, Lynch, DeMartini style but he hasn't found the way to do so properly yet.

Vibrato
    Fast, uneven and nervous. Inexistent in the old days. Santiago decided to work on it once he listened to Moore, and liked to think that he had a good vibrato, but one listen to a home recording quickly changed his mind. He’s back to the drawing table right now, as he has never really forgotten the Hammett comparisons and that keeps him up at night. Also, if he is playing a guitar with a tremolo bar he will often use it to add flavor in subtle ways, but he doesn’t really do dive bombs and other extreme whammy gymnastics.

Recommended listening
    unless you can catch him playing in his bedroom, there’s nothing to hear.

Post edited by Dinosaur David B on
  • Dave, could you add whatever dino icon you think I am? I couldn't figure out how to post it myself. ;)
  • Just guessing on the icon based on your description.

You look a little green in that photograph, mate!
  • Just guessing on the icon based on your description.

You look a little green in that photograph, mate!
    Thanks!! Hehe I know, A friend had some weird lightning in the garage we were playing that day. I could Photoshop it but I thought it might take something from it.
  • Tatosh GuitarTatosh Guitar Posts: 1,709
    Reading thru Amy's profile I took the chance to read thru mine again. I noticed a couple things: I am way faster and precise than i was when I wrote this. This is relevant because I had never really improved as a player in years, but I guess proper practicing works miracles. Some of the youtube videos posted here really helped, specially the cracking the code ones and some that Dave recommended. Also, looking at my picture I can see I don't exactly have as much hair as I did...