Sammy Hagar I Never Said Goodbye

124»

Comments

• Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,324
    [quote author=RED_SG link=topic=17350.msg261829#msg261829 date=1430751636]
    [quote author=maybeyes link=topic=17350.msg261828#msg261828 date=1430751390]
     I recall an interview that Sammy gave where he said Ed did play some solos on the album, but I am not sure which ones made it onto the actual album.  
    [/quote]

There are some whammy bar licks here and there, but I can't tell if it' Eddie or not. If he's soloing on the album, he's definitely not throwing his signature licks.
    [/quote]

Eddie is not credited on the album itself as having played guitar. He did play all the bass on that record. According to the Wiki page on that album Eddie plays guitar on the song "Eagles Fly".....in listening to that song it sounds like he plays a couple lead licks and Sammy plays the solo.

Honestly.....if Van Halen with Hagar had been a little more like this album I might have liked them a little more. I always dug Sammy's solo stuff.
  • [quote author=maybeyes link=topic=17350.msg267483#msg267483 date=1447216129]
    [quote author=Redrocker Fan link=topic=17350.msg267477#msg267477 date=1447206655]
    [quote author=maybeyes link=topic=17350.msg261828#msg261828 date=1430751390]
    That is a great album.  I recall an interview that Sammy gave where he said Ed did play some solos on the album, but I am not sure which ones made it onto the actual album.  This was when they were really good friends.  Sammy once mentioned that at first Eddie didn't want him to do this album, but Sammy had to fulfill his contract.  Some great tunes on this album.  One of my go to albums for Sammy
    [/quote]

I think the only thing Ed did was play the bass and co-produce the album.  Hammer Falls Down is my personal favorite
    [/quote]
    I may have misread something then, but regardless Eddie did play bass and he coproduced the album.  I think Eddie did have an impact on Sammy's playing as he seemed to so much more proficient playing leads on INSG. 
    That in itself is kind of funny because Sammy was a good guitarist before, but he always let Gary Pihl, his lead guitarist in his band, do all the solos on the albums. 

If you look at Sammy's pedigree, he always surrounded himself with good to great players.  So maybe it is not a surprise thet he tended to focus on songwriting.
    [/quote]

Sammy has said Pihl played around 30-40% of the solos on his solo albums.
  • I saw Sammy on the Marching to Mars tour (his all time best album, IMO). Probably in the top 5...maybe even 3...concerts I have ever seen. He seemed...hungry. The band played like a band, the vibe was fun, and there was so much amazing material. He had something to prove, you could tell, but it wasn't the anger you felt from the VH camp.

Mercury, Hagar, Zander, Hughes, Shortino: my favorite singers. 
  • Jay GJay G Posts: 2,659
    I saw Sammy on the Marching to Mars tour (his all time best album, IMO). Probably in the top 5...maybe even 3...concerts I have ever seen. He seemed...hungry. The band played like a band, the vibe was fun, and there was so much amazing material. He had something to prove, you could tell, but it wasn't the anger you felt from the VH camp.

Mercury, Hagar, Zander, Hughes, Shortino: my favorite singers. 

I would recommend everyone see Hagar at least once outside of VH.  As most folks here know I am an absolute fanatic.  Of all the shows I have seen I have seen Hagar the most with over 50 shows dating back to my first around 82.  While he has moved towards a weird Jimmy Buffet/Kenney Chesney type  show and lifestyle there is just so much classic material out there.  

Got this on my left leg last year as a tribute.  Was featured a few months back in Guitar World.

image.jpeg 1.8M
  • pprovostpprovost Posts: 2,622
    I saw both Roth-era Van Halen and Sammy Hagar solo in 1984, a few months apart from each other. I'm a huge fan of both. Personally, I thought that Sammy's live shows were better than VH at the time and, live at least, the leads were pretty much a 50-50 split between Gary and Sammy. Sammy is no slouch on the fretboard.

I have always preferred Roth with Van Halen over Sammy's time in the band. Roth's influence was that he brought a far greater diversity in the songs. You never knew what was going to come next and what the band was going to do. You could get a Kinks tune, a Flamenco tune, a swing band song with a clarinet solo, a Roy Rogers track, or a face-melting solo. Eddie would play with a lot of abandon, a "Hell, why not" attitude, and there was a real sense of musical exploration and a wide scope. 

When Sammy came on board, I thought that while he is a great song writer and I liked the songs, but that the diversity and freewheeling abandon disappeared. Plus, all the songs started to kind of sound predictable. I got 5150 when it first came out, and liked it. OU812 came out and I bought it, liked it, but thought the songs sounded a lot like 5150. After that, I lost interest until ADKOT.

When I hear a Sammy-era Van Halen track come on the radio nowadays, even if I have never heard it before, I can immediately tell it's a Van Halen song before Sammy even opens his mouth to sing. The same way I can immediately know a Rush track. I don't lay all the blame at Sammy's feet. A lot of it is Eddie and Alex's doing.

I think sometimes if you try to play too technically, you lose something in the music - like you're playing for another guitar player. I like to play for people. The more sophisticated and mature guitarists become, the more they go with the feel.

- Ritchie Blackmore

• jebbuddajebbudda Posts: 5,030
    I love the Montrose stuff .

That era produced my favorite Sammy Hagar music .

Eventhough DLR annoyed me at times he was the perfect front man for Van Halen .  The band changed  direction with Sammy and I lost interest .
  • I was 10 when For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge came out but had older friends who turned me on to the first four VH albums at the same time so I literally had a side by side comparison growing up.

Even from that perspective I could hear/feel the magic of those early VH albums.

I liked the Hagar stuff—a lot—but to me, it wasn’t Van Halen. Instead that era seems more like another chapter in Sammy’s  solo career, especially after I went back and caught up on everything he’d done before then.

I still think it’s funny how you could take the first letters of everyone’s last names in Chickenfoot and be able to spell HSAS.

• Dr NickDr Nick Posts: 3,556
    I prefer the DLR era albums, but there are gems on each Hagar era album.

And I have a soft spot for Balance - the only tour I've seen was the Balance tour, and loved the songs they played from it. 
    Aftershock, Feelin' and 7th Seal. Love 'em. 
    I like Sammy Hagar a lot. His solo stuff is cool and I loved him in Montrose. I actually want to like Van Halen with Hagar. There actually are songs I like...I like the title track to 5150, "Mine All Mine" is good...the cover of "A Political Blues" and "Judgement Day".....but thats about it. I also don't get how the band and many people feel the musicianship went up when Hagar joined. To me...it was more pop and less interesting. How did '5150' outdo 'Fair Warning' in musicianship? When Hagar joined the songwriting got less adventurous, Eddie did not have near the fire he used to....and the bass resorted to the Nikki Sixx formula. Michael Anthony was way underused in the Hagar era. 
  • ....and the bass resorted to the Nikki Sixx formula. Michael Anthony was way underused in the Hagar era. 
    I don’t disagree with you there, but I will say there were times that with Sammy, his backing vocal abilities were put to the test.
    ....and the bass resorted to the Nikki Sixx formula. Michael Anthony was way underused in the Hagar era. 
    I don’t disagree with you there, but I will say there were times that with Sammy, his backing vocal abilities were put to the test.
    I'm not talking vocals at all....strictly his bass playing. Vocally he did much the same thing in the Hagar years.