Sammy Hagar I Never Said Goodbye

Comments

• Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 17,474
    During his tenure, he helped take the band from red to black, simply by paying attention to the band's business affairs. Eddie and Al couldn't be bothered.
    He also had Ed and Shemp buy into the Cabo Wabo resort when he was starting it -- which they did. But the Van Lunkheads didn't have the guts to ride out the lean times, and they sold out too early, and lost money. Sammy knew what he was doing, rode it out and made a(nother) fortune.  :roll:
    I ain't falling for no banana in the tailpipe.
  • Old SchoolOld School Posts: 763
    [quote author=Skye link=topic=17350.msg261845#msg261845 date=1430765224]
    I love Hagar - just not in Van Halen.  :biggrin2:
    [/quote]

Same here.
  • maybeyesmaybeyes Posts: 4,522
    I didn't mind him in Van Halen, but it was technically a different band.  Not sure how sales compared between the Van Hagar and Van Roth, but I thought Van Hagar was the better selling with all those albums reaching #1 on the billboard sales charts.  It depends on my mood and I am glad Eddie worked with Sammy as they did produce a few good albums imho.

Never mistake a clear view for a short distance.

• SanchoSancho Posts: 18,678
    I know it's not a popular opinion round here, but in my book, the first three Van Hagar albums are as good as anything they did with Dave.
    Different, yes.
  • eduardoritoseduardoritos Posts: 3,438
    [quote author=Dinosaur David B link=topic=17350.msg261843#msg261843 date=1430764344]
    You gotta understand -- Sammy came from less-than-dirt poverty. Even less than what Ozzy had.  His mom was on the run from his abusive dad and had them sleeping in orange groves.

Sammy is a self made bazillionaire and has been an entrepreneur since even before his music career really took off.  He's always had a great eye for business, and likely made more money in business than even in his lucrative music career.   His book is a really interesting read.
    [/quote]
    Quest for money is a big motivation.

Betthoven was so poor in his youth that the whole life money has been his first go to thing.
    He'd "invented" the licensed write sheet music, to allow him of being paid for people whos buying his music (the very first doing that).

Eagles Fly sounds very EVH, I could say, 100% Eddie.
  • cvansicklecvansickle Posts: 6,139
    [quote author=Sancho link=topic=17350.msg261859#msg261859 date=1430799353]
    I know it's not a popular opinion round here, but in my book, the first three Van Hagar albums are as good as anything they did with Dave.
    Different, yes.
    [/quote]I agree with you. I always thought of the two lineups as different bands. Roth era VH was the soundtrack to all my high school and college keg parties. Good time music for celebrating life without responsibilities. Hagar era VH was more about introspection, and the songwriting facilitated that clarity. Equal parts inspiration and celebration.
    Death Or Glory - Who Dares Wins!
  • maybeyesmaybeyes Posts: 4,522
    Believe it or not, there was a time when I listened to Van Hager much more than Van Halen with Roth.  Now it is about equal time.  Depends on what I am in the mood for.  With Roth usually it is Fair Warning or the First Greatest Hits album.  With Van Hager, it is those first 3 with Hager.

Never mistake a clear view for a short distance.

Despite rumors to the contrary, it ain't against the law to like both versions of the band.
  • SkyeSkye Posts: 1,660
    [quote author=Dinosaur David B link=topic=17350.msg261868#msg261868 date=1430832440]
    Despite rumors to the contrary, it ain't against the law to like both versions of the band.
    [/quote]

True - but I happen to not really like the direction the material took with Hagar.

Don't get me wrong - I do like some Hagar-era VH tunes, and even saw them 3 times with Sammy.

But to me it's just a completely different sound and dynamic with Sammy vs. DLR years.... and it just doesn't grab me the same way.
  • mr_crowleymr_crowley Posts: 6,579
    Though I do like a lot of the Roth-era Van Halen my favourite album by them is 5150, I do also think that Sammy is a superior singer to Dave. He can't pull of the split-jumps and isn't anywhere close to as charismatic as Dave (OTOH who is?) though. And he seems like a really nice and chill guy :up:

I think the split was great as I thoroughly enjoy the "Van Hagar" albums and think DLR's two first solo records are about as good as it gets :drinkin:
  • Mr IncredibleMr Incredible Posts: 364
    [quote author=maybeyes link=topic=17350.msg261865#msg261865 date=1430831817]
    Believe it or not, there was a time when I listened to Van Hager much more than Van Halen with Roth.  Now it is about equal time.  Depends on what I am in the mood for.  With Roth usually it is Fair Warning or the First Greatest Hits album.  With Van Hager, it is those first 3 with Hager.
    [/quote]

Same here except I usually listen to VH1 and VH2 with Roth. 

• Seven MoonsSeven Moons Posts: 8,697
    [quote author=Skye link=topic=17350.msg261869#msg261869 date=1430833031]
    [quote author=Dinosaur David B link=topic=17350.msg261868#msg261868 date=1430832440]
    [/quote]

True - but I happen to not really like the direction the material took with Hagar.
    [/quote]

Same here. I don't like Van Hagar, but not because of Hagar's vocals. It's the overall sound and style of the band that I didn't like. To these ears, DLR's first solo album sounded like Van Halen much more than Van Hagar ever did. 

That being said, I like even less what I've heard of Sammy's solo stuff...  Great singer, but I love him in Montrose, and that's about it  :036:
  • SkyeSkye Posts: 1,660
    [quote author=Seven Moons link=topic=17350.msg261873#msg261873 date=1430842014]
    [quote author=Skye link=topic=17350.msg261869#msg261869 date=1430833031]
    [/quote]

[/quote]

Same here. I don't like Van Hagar, but not because of Hagar's vocals. It's the overall sound and style of the band that I didn't like. To these ears, DLR's first solo album sounded like Van Halen much more than Van Hagar ever did.  

That being said, I like even less what I've heard of Sammy's solo stuff...  Great singer, but I love him in Montrose, and that's about it  :036:

[/quote]

Bingo!

You just did - this -

:biggrin2:
    Sammy's a very pop-oriented rock singer and songwriter.
  • Old SchoolOld School Posts: 763
    [quote author=maybeyes link=topic=17350.msg261853#msg261853 date=1430772589]
    Not sure how sales compared between the Van Hagar and Van Roth, but I thought Van Hagar was the better selling with all those albums reaching #1 on the billboard sales charts. 
    [/quote]

The Roth albums sold more, but the debut and 1984 both sold over 10 million each, so that kinda skews it. Take those albums away and it's more even. 1984 (the album and year) was their peak, commercially speaking.

It's funny, I hated 5150 and liked OU812, which seems to be the opposite of most people. By the time F.U.C.K. was released, I had stopped paying attention to both VH and DLR.

I do have a few Sammy albums though, including the one that inspired this thread. Good stuff.