Sammy Hagar I Never Said Goodbye

RED_SGRED_SG Posts: 2,058
edited December 1969 in Dinosaur Rock Guitar Heroes
Fond a copy of this album in the 1$ vinyl bin at my favorite used record store. I knew Give to Live and Eagles Fly, but never heard the whole album. I gotta say that I'm really digging it. Sammy Hagar is the only guitarist credited on the album and his playing is very impressive. Melodic, tasty and filled with attitude (although Eddie claims that he did some un-credited  tracks). Cool summer time/fun rock album! I'm not always a fan of Hagar's solo material but I really like that album.

Comments

• Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 17,492
    That's a great album.
    Sammy was just on the TV show Live from Darryl's House, ('cept they were in Cabo Wabo rather than Darryl Hall's upstate NY house).  Sammy's in his 60s and his voice still sounds awesome. He hasn't lost anything.
    I ain't falling for no banana in the tailpipe.
  • RED_SGRED_SG Posts: 2,058
    [quote author=Dinosaur David B link=topic=17350.msg261825#msg261825 date=1430750256]
    That's a great album.
    Sammy was just on the TV show Live from Darryl's House, ('cept they were in Cabo Wabo rather than Darryl Hall's upstate NY house).  Sammy's in his 60s and his voice still sounds awesome. He hasn't lost anything.
    [/quote]

Cabo Wabo tequila must be some kind of fountain of youth! He must be over 65 years old now, right?
  • maybeyesmaybeyes Posts: 4,522
    That is a great album.  I recall an interview that Sammy gave where he said Ed did play some solos on the album, but I am not sure which ones made it onto the actual album.  This was when they were really good friends.  Sammy once mentioned that at first Eddie didn't want him to do this album, but Sammy had to fulfill his contract.  Some great tunes on this album.  One of my go to albums for Sammy

Never mistake a clear view for a short distance.

[quote author=maybeyes link=topic=17350.msg261828#msg261828 date=1430751390]
     I recall an interview that Sammy gave where he said Ed did play some solos on the album, but I am not sure which ones made it onto the actual album.  
    [/quote]

There are some whammy bar licks here and there, but I can't tell if it' Eddie or not. If he's soloing on the album, he's definitely not throwing his signature licks.
    He's 67.
    Sammy is a guy who lives life by the Viv Savage credo: Have a good time, all the time.  And Sammy has the money to do that exceedingly well.

As someone who tries to live that way myself, I am convinced that the more you CAN do that in your life, longer you will look and feel young.
  • SanchoSancho Posts: 18,678
    Sammy is very underrated. For some reason, people seem to not want to like him.
    Jealousy?
    My Sammy recommendation : Street Machine. Get the Rock Candy reissue for a great version of Sittin' On The Dock Of The Bay.
    [quote author=Sancho link=topic=17350.msg261831#msg261831 date=1430752495]
    Jealousy?
    My Sammy recommendation : Street Machine. Get the Rock Candy reissue for a great version of Sittin' On The Dock Of The Bay.
    [/quote]
    That is a great version of Sittin' On The Dock Of The Bay.  I like some of his later stuff better, but Street Machine was a good album for Sammy at the time.

• cvansicklecvansickle Posts: 6,144
    [quote author=maybeyes link=topic=17350.msg261832#msg261832 date=1430752888]
    Jealousy?
    [/quote]
    That is a great version of Sittin' On The Dock Of The Bay.  I like some of his later stuff better, but Street Machine was a good album for Sammy at the time.
    [/quote]Yep. I've always really dug "Plain Jane."
    Death Or Glory - Who Dares Wins!
  • whoopass1whoopass1 Posts: 1,395
    That is a great album.  I recall an interview that Sammy gave where he said Ed did play some solos on the album, but I am not sure which ones made it onto the actual album.  This was when they were really good friends.  Sammy once mentioned that at first Eddie didn't want him to do this album, but Sammy had to fulfill his contract.  Some great tunes on this album.  One of my go to albums for Sammy
    [/quote]

I always heard that Eddie played on the album but it was only on Bass Guitar on a few cuts. Not guitar.
    [quote author=whoopass1 link=topic=17350.msg261838#msg261838 date=1430762072]
    [/quote]

I always heard that Eddie played on the album but it was only on Bass Guitar on a few cuts. Not guitar.
    [/quote] I recall that he did play bass, but I was under the impression that he did a couple of solos as well, but could be wrong.  Thought Sammy liked his solos better, but Ed helped him get some ideas down for the solos.  For sure he played bass.

Jealousy?

[/quote]

I know what you mean and I don't get it. First, I think he has one of the best voice in classic rock history, if not the best voice (my personal taste anyways). And second, after reading his bio, I think he comes out as a cool guy who succeeded in life in a great way. A great success story!

But the other day a friend of mine told me that he's read his bio and thought that Sammy comes out as a jerk who only thinks about money!  :036:

He sure is a hell of a business man and have big affection fore money, but who cares? Good for him if he succeeded! His voice kicks ass, he still puts on a great show, his tequila is fucking good…. I mean you gotta love Sammy!
    Sometimes it is funny how when you make lots of money then all  you care about is money even if it comes from smart investment moves, but if you loose all the money you are a bit of a moron.  I think Sammy would rather be considered to care more about money though I do recall him once saying he would do all this stuff even if he were not rich.  The money helps make the opportunities golden though.

You gotta understand -- Sammy came from less-than-dirt poverty. Even less than what Ozzy had.  His mom was on the run from his abusive dad and had them sleeping in orange groves.

Sammy is a self made bazillionaire and has been an entrepreneur since even before his music career really took off.  He's always had a great eye for business, and likely made more money in business than even in his lucrative music career.   His book is a really interesting read.
  • cvansicklecvansickle Posts: 6,144
    [quote author=Dinosaur David B link=topic=17350.msg261843#msg261843 date=1430764344]
    You gotta understand -- Sammy came from less-than-dirt poverty. Even less than what Ozzy had.  His mom was on the run from his abusive dad and had them sleeping in orange groves.

Sammy is a self made bazillionaire and has been an entrepreneur since even before his music career really took off.  He's always had a great eye for business, and likely made more money in business than even in his lucrative music career.   His book is a really interesting read.
    [/quote]
    Indeed. I recall smirking when I read the part about his joining Van Halen, only to discover what a financial trainwreck the band was. During his tenure, he helped take the band from red to black, simply by paying attention to the band's business affairs. Eddie and Al couldn't be bothered.
    Death Or Glory - Who Dares Wins!
  • SkyeSkye Posts: 1,660
    I love Hagar - just not in Van Halen.  :biggrin2: