Lynyrd Skynyrd - Last of a Dying Breed

Comments

• maybeyesmaybeyes Posts: 4,522
    I don't see that much difference.  I think you have a larger variety of styles interacting leading to perhaps a slightly different take on the Skynyrd sound.  Early Skynyrd was very much lock and load whereas this version has added to the team.  Rossington and Melocke will write differently than Rossington and King wrote.  Bass and drums do lock up differently, but I would not necessarily say that is a problem.  I think there are some of the new stable of songs that the original band would not have attempted and that in my book makes the band stronger.  They can still lock in as is witnessed by their live show.  Overall, I expected some things to change with the new band members.  Some songs they still lock really tight and when they do that no one can touch them.  Not like what they had on the live album (One more from the road).  I'll take the current incarnation over a lot of stuff out there calling itself southern rock and especially the new country my kids seem to like so much.

Never mistake a clear view for a short distance.

• RED_SGRED_SG Posts: 2,058
    [quote author=maybeyes link=topic=17217.msg260217#msg260217 date=1426687306]
     I'll take the current incarnation over a lot of stuff out there calling itself southern rock and especially the new country my kids seem to like so much.
    [/quote]

+1

[quote author=shaggy link=topic=17217.msg260216#msg260216 date=1426686845]
    I was leaning more towards the song structures , riffs and lyrical rhymes & melody rather than the actual lyrical content of the songs in my last post.
    [/quote]
    Listening to the fist album at the moment and I hear what you are talking about Shaggy.  They seem to lock in real tight and still have that loose feel to it which I think is a bit of what sets up the groove.  Though while the drums and bass lock in tight they had 2 drummers during those days and I wonder if that is part of it.  The guitars just have that real funky sound which is a combination of 3 guitarists with very different sounds.

That reminds me a lot of the whole van halen vs. Hagar debat. I enjoy both eras, but since I don't have any kind of nostalgic feelings toward the old skynyrd ( i was born in 1980) I tend to listen to the new stuff a lot more. I believe it's fair to say that they are almost like 2 different bands... or at least they sound like 2 different bands.
    To some degree they are.  Johnny as a writer is more commercial and the changes in the band lead to different writing styles that lead to a less country/southern blues style is how I would class it.

[quote author=maybeyes link=topic=17217.msg260222#msg260222 date=1426690290]
    To some degree they are.  Johnny as a writer is more commercial and the changes in the band lead to different writing styles that lead to a less country/southern blues style is how I would class it.
    [/quote]

Yeah that's it. And I do agree that they come out with cheezy songs every now and then (skynyrd nation and shit like that), but for the most part they put out some great rocking albums.
    I think every band comes out with cheese, just a matter of how you take it.  Skynyrd Nation while cheesy lets people know that they appreciate their fans.  I have heard far worse cheese so I can give that a pass.  But yeah you will get the odd cheese.  Good thing they put in enough meat to compensate for the cheese. :wink: :woohoo: :shred:

[quote author=maybeyes link=topic=17217.msg260224#msg260224 date=1426691928]
    I think every band comes out with cheese, just a matter of how you take it.  Skynyrd Nation while cheesy lets people know that they appreciate their fans.  I have heard far worse cheese so I can give that a pass.  But yeah you will get the odd cheese.  Good thing they put in enough meat to compensate for the cheese. :wink: :woohoo: :shred:
    [/quote]

Haha! Yeah I totally agree. Props to john 5 for that killer solo as well!
  • jebbuddajebbudda Posts: 5,030
    I understand JOHN 5 was very involved writing songs for Skynyrd . :036:

They kinda became a " new country " band IMHO. The swampy Cream influenced groove is lost now .

I believe the legions of die hard fans will keep the band going indefinitely . Along with the folks that LOVE Skynyrd there are those that can't stand them . There is a blacklash of sorts with some audiences . Some people identify Skynyrd with armed racist redneck toxic white trash Confederate Flag waving KKK members and find Skynyrd and the entire genre as low brow as it gets .

I've had some bar/club owners ask me specifically NOT to play Skynyrd in their establishment . :hmm:
    That is very interesting Jeb.  Never really thought about that here.  We just tend to enjoy the music and chuckle a bit at the politics on some of the songs.  Not sure why people have to attach a tag so readily.  Oh well, won't stop me from enjoying them.  Certainly much more enjoyable than the majority of new country and that techno dance stuff.  I thought I had a headache at NAMM in the drum section with 30 different drummers and 30 different beats, my youngest puts on her dance stuff and the techno just kills me.  I think it may be guitar withdrawal because I have heard a few bands do that stuff with full instrumentation and it is killer.

[quote author=jebbudda link=topic=17217.msg260288#msg260288 date=1426780379]
    I understand JOHN 5 was very involved writing songs for Skynyrd . :036:

They kinda became a " new country " band IMHO. The swampy Cream influenced groove is lost now .

I believe the legions of die hard fans will keep the band going indefinitely . Along with the folks that LOVE Skynyrd there are those that can't stand them . There is a blacklash of sorts with some audiences . Some people identify Skynyrd with armed racist redneck toxic white trash Confederate Flag waving KKK members and find Skynyrd and the entire genre as low brow as it gets .

I've had some bar/club owners ask me specifically NOT to play Skynyrd in their establishment . :hmm:
    [/quote]

John 5 is a great country player, and all around great pro guitarist. He worked for many different artists with different styles, from kd lang to skynyrd and manson. I'd love to hear him in a modern southern rock band format.

I also agree that the swampy groove is lost.

As far as the politic/social view they have, I'm not suprised that they get hated for that. They are pro guns, to start with, and their political view comes out as being very far right IMO. Like maybeyes says, I enjoy them for the music. Definitely not because I believe in the message of a song like God and Guns, for example!

• jebbuddajebbudda Posts: 5,030
    In certain parts around here " Skynyrd " bands attract " the wrong crowd " .  :icon_tongue: :fu: :evillaugh:

I love playin for the wrong crowd . I know it makes my wife nervous sometimes . :evil:

So doew that mean she appreciates having younaround more after those gigs Jeb?    :evil: :evillaugh: :laugh: :mrhappy:

• I actually have a soft spot for Lynyrd Skynrd. (I have to look before I spell it on my own.) But can't take the majority of the more overplayed songs aside from Simple Kinda Man and I happen to LOVE Call Me the Breeze and am quite batty about The Drunken Uncles arrangement of it.

Believe it or not, I also have a soft spot for occasionally being around people who might be considered to be a bit.... ?Earthy? Remember, I once told you guys I ran away with a traveling carnival for several months.  :ha:... :blush:  (I was really young. What a bizarre experience.)

That being said, it can indeed be slightly unsettling when my husband is "playin for the wrong crowd." as he put it. It all depends on several things of course. While I am not a person who is necessarily intimidated by a room of people who might maim or kill me for having the wrong expression on my face or for appearing to look at home with some granola in my mouth or with my arms wrapped lovingly around a tree, I do at times... recognize the signs of below the surface dangers that perhaps lurk within inches of my elbows.

Jeb fails to understand that as a woman (and additionally a woman of a visually invisible, but occasionally apparent ethnic background) these places show their potential dangers to me through my highly attentive third eye. So sometimes he'll say, "What...??? They all seem pretty nice and harmless,"  while I gaze upon their very intentionally intimidating "ink" while trying not to have what might be a misinterpreted facial expression if I happen to catch the eye of one of their "wimin" or "old ladies" as the case may be. 

Also, I hate it when these people want to touch my fucking hair. The men OR the wimin.

After that, it's all good. Lots of fun unless I catch a glimpse of a curious looking white garment stuck in the pack resting on the back of a motorcycle or something. I am always ready to find cover if need be. I am careful never to respond in conversation with any exclamations like, "Oy VEY!"

There are a range of these Skynrd gigs of course. Some seem normal. Others seem... best attended with a German Shepard and a can of pepper spray. But they are always entertaining.
    :roll:

• [quote author=maybeyes link=topic=17217.msg260616#msg260616 date=1427453994]
    So doew that mean she appreciates having younaround more after those gigs Jeb?    :evil: :evillaugh: :laugh: :mrhappy:
    [/quote]
    ...the answer to that is NO. Sometimes after those gigs, Jeb will don an inspired persona for a while. He will really commit to a character. Then I have to go home alone with him.
    :eyetwitch: