Lynyrd Skynyrd - Last of a Dying Breed

RED_SGRED_SG Posts: 2,058
Any fan of this album? I know it's been out for a few years now, but I got it 2-3 weeks ago. It's been playing in my car everyday since then. Those songs just won't get old with me!! Awesome album. Great production. I love the modern Skynyrd.
Post edited by guitarrednfeathered on

Comments

• maybeyesmaybeyes Posts: 4,522
    I love the old Skynyrd, but the new Skynyrd (can you call them that after the number of albums this incarnation has released?) is just as good.  Different strengths to play to of course.  I have enjoyed each album they have released since getting back together.  The new one Last of  Dying Breed is good with some nice production.  This incarnation has actually released more albums than the original.  I know they lost guitarists here and there, but with Johnny Van Zant and Rossington at the helm they have released more studio albums than the version with Ronnie.  Funny.  I really like 1991, but I can't fault any of the albums and they do put on a killer show. 

Never mistake a clear view for a short distance.

• RED_SGRED_SG Posts: 2,058
    [quote author=maybeyes link=topic=17217.msg259998#msg259998 date=1426277694]
    I love the old Skynyrd, but the new Skynyrd (can you call them that after the number of albums this incarnation has released?) is just as good.  Different strengths to play to of course.  I have enjoyed each album they have released since getting back together.  The new one Last of  Dying Breed is good with some nice production.  This incarnation has actually released more albums than the original.  I know they lost guitarists here and there, but with Johnny Van Zant and Rossington at the helm they have released more studio albums than the version with Ronnie.  Funny.  I really like 1991, but I can't fault any of the albums and they do put on a killer show. 
    [/quote]

Yeah I hear ya, more albums with Johnny than with Ronnie. Which albums would you recommend me to buy? Right now I have God and Guns, Last of a Dying Breed and a greatest hits of the old lineup. Last Rebel will be my next purchase, but other than that?
  • HaffnerHaffner Posts: 7,887
    I need to catch up on post-Ronnie Skynyrd as well. I love the classic stuff so much.
    [quote author=Haffner link=topic=17217.msg260007#msg260007 date=1426294675]
    I need to catch up on post-Ronnie Skynyrd as well. I love the classic stuff so much.
    [/quote]

I think Ronnie was a better lyricist, but Johnny has a hell of a voice. Their current drummer toured with Accept! That alone qualifies them as ''Southern Dinos"!!!  :metal:
    [quote author=RED_SG link=topic=17217.msg260006#msg260006 date=1426294464]
    [/quote]

Yeah I hear ya, more albums with Johnny than with Ronnie. Which albums would you recommend me to buy? Right now I have God and Guns, Last of a Dying Breed and a greatest hits of the old lineup. Last Rebel will be my next purchase, but other than that?
    [/quote]
    I really like 1991 their first studio album with Johnny, Last Rebel is good, but mellower so good choic.  Then I would go with Vicious Cycle and Edg of Forever.  Twenty was good, but hasn't had the staying power for me.  Pick up one of the live albums too.  They are va killer band live.  Saw them for the Last Rebel tour and itwas a great concert.  Now with Ricky Medlock in the band I would love to see them live again.  It would have been cool to see them with Hughie Thomason too.

[quote author=maybeyes link=topic=17217.msg260010#msg260010 date=1426297927]
    [quote author=RED_SG link=topic=17217.msg260006#msg260006 date=1426294464]
    [/quote]

[/quote]
    I really like 1991 their first studio album with Johnny, Last Rebel is good, but mellower so good choic.  Then I would go with Vicious Cycle and Edg of Forever.  Twenty was good, but hasn't had the staying power for me.  Pick up one of the live albums too.  They are va killer band live.  Saw them for the Last Rebel tour and itwas a great concert.  Now with Ricky Medlock in the band I would love to see them live again.  It would have been cool to see them with Hughie Thomason too.
    [/quote]

Cool! I'm heading to the Itunes store!  :up:
    There is a compilation called Family which has cuts from most of the post skynyrd bands which included a member of the skynyrd band.  Gives you a good idea of the different bands that resulted from skynyrd.  I have a lot of that stuff already, but some good tunes there none the less.

All this skynyrd tlalk got me in the mood for some skynyrd music.  Listened to Vicious Cycle and 1991.  Some good stuff there.

• jebbuddajebbudda Posts: 5,030
    They kinda became an " All Star " band of southern Rock royalty for a while . Hughie  Thomasson from The Outlaws was with them before he died . He was one SMOKIN ' strat playing muthafucka . Hugh toneie is one of my favorites from that genre . He had such a balls out strat tone that set him apart in a sea of Les Pauls and humbuckin'  Gibsons . Dave Hlubek from Molly Hatchet was a pretty vicious player too . The first Molly Hatchet album has some killer guitar playing . :metal:

Skynyrd fans are some hard core multi-generation music lovers .If your raised in the biker culture you love Skynyrd . Its their soundtrack . Back in the mid 90s I played in a " Southern " rock cover band specializing in Skynyrd , Molly Hatchet and The Outlaws . We traveled around extensively and I was amazed by the enthusiasm displayed for this music . I did that gig for about 7 years before I got totally burnt out playing these songs night after night . :sick:

If I hear Sweet Home Alabama or Gimme Three Steps one more time I may suffer a brain aneurism .
  • Smoking GunsSmoking Guns Posts: 4,547
    Skynyrd to me, are one of the most important bands in Rock History NOBODY talks about....  They really were great!

I hear a lot of Skynyrd in GNR... But anyway, they had some really great songs and seeing them live in convert back in 2005 was one of the greatest concerts I have ever seen in my life.  Hank Williams Jr. opened for them I think.  RED NECK central, and it was killer!!!
  • merlo_zeppelinmerlo_zeppelin Posts: 1,405
    [quote author=RED_SG link=topic=17217.msg260008#msg260008 date=1426294957]
    [/quote]

I think Ronnie was a better lyricist, but Johnny has a hell of a voice. Their current drummer toured with Accept! That alone qualifies them as ''Southern Dinos"!!!   :metal:
    [/quote]

Isn't Michael Cartellone their drummer? He was the drummer in Damn Yankees. I didn't know he was in Accept.
    [quote author=merlo_zeppelin link=topic=17217.msg260210#msg260210 date=1426677615]
    [quote author=RED_SG link=topic=17217.msg260008#msg260008 date=1426294957]
    [/quote]

I think Ronnie was a better lyricist, but Johnny has a hell of a voice. Their current drummer toured with Accept! That alone qualifies them as ''Southern Dinos"!!!   :metal:
    [/quote]

Isn't Michael Cartellone their drummer? He was the drummer in Damn Yankees. I didn't know he was in Accept.
    [/quote]

He toured with them in 1996. He also played with Wolf, and many others. He seems to be a great, all around pro drummer.   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Cartellone
  • shaggyshaggy Posts: 859
    Skynyrd are a pale shadow of what they were. The old Skynyrd had a groove and a song variation that made them very easy to listen to. The new Skynyrd have been making the same record since Twenty. They've become formulaic. They're all still good musicians who put on a good show but the songwriting's not what it once was.
    I thought they got a good shot of adrenaline after Twenty.  I was not really impressed with Twenty and did not expect them to rehash the early stuff with Ronnie.  I thought they had a good run going after Twenty.  I figure they are writing pretty good considering they can't really write about some of the early stuff they wrote about due to age.  I think they have started to delve into politics a bit as well which can be good or bad. I can't say skynyrd has had a bad album, there are simply some stronger than others that is all.  For me it is sort of like a lot of you think of Led Zeppelin. 

• shaggyshaggy Posts: 859
    I was leaning more towards the song structures , riffs and lyrical rhymes & melody rather than the actual lyrical content of the songs in my last post.