Is that the way the old times are going to end???

Sun Red SunSun Red Sun Posts: 476
edited December 1969 in Off topic/NON-DINO Music Area
https://d2pq0u4uni88oo.cloudfront.net/projects/1688050/video-508468-h264_high.mp4

I just don't know what to say... Maybe you have some thoughts?

Comments

• SnoogansSnoogans Posts: 1,670
    Speaking as a card-carrying luddite and technophobe, I have to say that I'm quite interested!
    Assuming that it isn't just something to plug into your I-phone, or whatever your preferred hipster-toy is.  :wank:
    If it has a midi interface and tracks well enough, it could be a very useful tool.
  • SanchoSancho Posts: 18,678
    Remember that wind synth Roland did years ago? No? Good. This will go the same way.
  • BreakfastimeBreakfastime Posts: 2,152
    Cool.  Will it replace everything?  Probably not (in our lifetimes anyhow).  But it is very sci-fi.   
    I can hear casual conversation from the future already  "Oh, you play the instrument?"  :roll:
  • mr_crowleymr_crowley Posts: 6,614
    I saw that too.

I guess it could be useful to a certain extent and probably a lot of fun but replacing good old fashioned instruments? I don't think so, even the best and most cutting edge synths that can't emulate old school instruments good enough to be useful for other's than some minor emballishments here and there in pro recordings, I doubt it will ever be good enough to replicate the real deal.
  • Seven MoonsSeven Moons Posts: 8,773
    Even a keytar looks sexier than this Fisher-Price hipster thing.
  • HaffnerHaffner Posts: 7,887
    It might be an interesting tool. I don't worry about it replacing anything, I recall about thirty years ago how geeks were sure drum machines would replace human drummers...not really (though one can use those machines to complement people-recorded tracks).

• Don't annoy us further! We have our work to do.  Just think about the average -- what use have they for you.  Another toy, that helped destroy, the elder race of man. Forget about your silly whim. It doesn't fit the plan.
    In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
  • Sun Red SunSun Red Sun Posts: 476
    I encouraged you to speak out how you feel, because I myself felt deeply confused about it. I mean, I had this dizzy feeling in the head that no, it will not make the real instruments go, but... it will make something. It's hard to explain exactly this... pre-sense? It's like the human almost stopped to use handwritting. With the damage to the brain, reportedly (looking from the science side).
  • EugenicScumEugenicScum Posts: 5,323
    ^Dude, Dave above was quoting a Rush song.
    Check out my band: Bevar Sea
  • SirionSirion Posts: 3,115
    I don't like the way it looks, but the concept is promising. Its very hard to get an impression of what one can do with it, however; I'd be interested mostly in how it can go beyond the opportunities given by "proper" instruments. That's what I loved about my old guitar synth, which I am still kicking myself for selling: It is never going to be as flexible as playing a keyboard synth, but the opportunities for bending, vibrato and similar effects unique to the guitar made it worthwhile for me. I'm still in the dark regarding what this thing can actually do, but I would be interested in learning more.
  • eduardoritoseduardoritos Posts: 3,593
    Modern Teramin.
    [quote author=Halvor Hosar link=topic=17211.msg259964#msg259964 date=1426148834]
    I don't like the way it looks, but the concept is promising. Its very hard to get an impression of what one can do with it, however; I'd be interested mostly in how it can go beyond the opportunities given by "proper" instruments. That's what I loved about my old guitar synth, which I am still kicking myself for selling: It is never going to be as flexible as playing a keyboard synth, but the opportunities for bending, vibrato and similar effects unique to the guitar made it worthwhile for me. I'm still in the dark regarding what this thing can actually do, but I would be interested in learning more.
    [/quote]

+1

To this day I love the humanity of guitar playing most (we all probably know what I mean here). But I use the Shreddage plugin when I need to get rhythm sounds that aren't possible otherwise. It's of course useless when it comes to playing an emotive lead, but hey if the technology produces new and really interesting sounds, I'm interested.

The chances I'd ever actually pick up and play this goofy looking thing...ha ha :rolleyes:. But in this age of advanced sound design, something new and useful might come out of it. And that idea ROCKS imo :metal:

• Remember the Chapman stick?  Can't believe Chapman made much money on it. The only name guy who ever learned to play the thing was Tony Levin. 
    In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
    [quote author=Dinosaur David B link=topic=17211.msg259974#msg259974 date=1426168632]
    Remember the Chapman stick?  Can't believe Chapman made much money on it. The only name guy who ever learned to play the thing was Tony Levin.  
    [/quote]

Tony is AMAZING! I think Jay G is going to see him in King Crimson soon.

There are precious few users, and I've never personally thought much of it.

Look at Allan Holdsworth's synth guitar, whatever-the-heck-it-is. To me it was the worse thing he ever did, picking that thing up. I admire all of his playing and music...except for when he picks up that verdammt junk. Very irritating.
  • maybeyesmaybeyes Posts: 4,522
    [quote author=Dinosaur David B link=topic=17211.msg259974#msg259974 date=1426168632]
    Remember the Chapman stick?  Can't believe Chapman made much money on it. The only name guy who ever learned to play the thing was Tony Levin. 
    [/quote]
    And some guy at NAMM who was playing at IK Multimedia booth.  Had some pretty wicked sounds for that.  Kind of cool in that he played the bass and lead stuff at the same time.

Never mistake a clear view for a short distance.