What would you say to your 10 year-old self?

Dinosaur David BDinosaur David B Posts: 17,760
edited December 1969 in Off topic/NON-DINO Music Area
I had this weird dream last night where, while passing through an airport, I bumped into my young parents and my 10 year-old self.  I woke up before much really happened, but it got me thinking:  What would I tell them, or my 10 year-old self? What could I tell them that wouldn't aversely screw up history, or the space time continuum?

It occurred to me that if I said something like: "don't marry your first wife" -- that could screw up my meeting of Amy and being happy now. Amy and I met at probably the only time in our history's where it was destined to work out.  20 years earlier, it probably wouldn't have.

So what I eventually came up with is this:

"Fear not, things will eventually work out for you and you will be happy. In the next few years, you’re going to want to learn how to play bass. Eventually you will switch to guitar, when you do, learn how to alternate pick properly from day one. Then, STICK WITH IT. You can stop being in stupid bands, but DON’T STOP playing the guitar — believe it or not, you will need it again in your 50s."  :LOL:

So other than things like: buy Apple stock low and hang on to it, and bet heavily on the following Superbowl teams . . .

I pose the same question to you. What would you tell your 10 year-old self if you encountered him or her today?  If you're happy now, what could you say that wouldn't screw it up.  If you're not happy now, what could you say that might have changed things?
In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

Comments

• HaffnerHaffner Posts: 7,890
    [quote author=Dinosaur David B link=topic=17204.msg259792#msg259792 date=1425910738]
    "Fear not, things will eventually work out for you and you will be happy."
    [/quote]

This above all else. Have faith in yourself. Maybe...try not to drink so much you become a chronic alcoholic with life threatening DTs, and won't ever be able to drink again without going to the hospital (DAMN I miss drinking!).

But as Dave said, it all had to happen.

Nietzsche had a quote about his Eternal Recurrence concept:

"The greatest weight: What, if some day or night a demon were to steal after you into your loneliest loneliness and say to you: "This life as you now live it and have lived it, you will have to live once more and innumerable times more; and there will be nothing new in it, but every pain and every joy and every thought and sigh and everything unutterably small or great in your life will have to return to you, all in the same succession and sequence - even this spider and this moonlight between the trees, and even this moment and I myself. The eternal hourglass of existence is turned upside down again and again, and you with it, speck of dust!

Would you not throw yourself down and gnash your teeth and curse the demon who spoke thus?... Or how well disposed would you have to become to yourself and to life to crave nothing more fervently than this ultimate eternal confirmation and seal?"
  • SkyeSkye Posts: 1,661
    Don't eat the yellow snow.  :biggrin2:
  • yngwie666yngwie666 Posts: 6,557
    Don't try to learn guitar by yourself and take guitar lessons with a pro. Learn to read music and scales !!!
  • Don't eat the yellow snow.

Geeze, Nick. How long was that a problem for you?  :chuckle:
    In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
  • SkyeSkye Posts: 1,661
    [quote author=Dinosaur David B link=topic=17204.msg259804#msg259804 date=1425918827]
    Don't eat the yellow snow.

Geeze, Nick. How long was that a problem for you?  :chuckle:
    [/quote]

Ha! It wasn't, but it just sounded funny - plus - Zappa reference!

Seriously - I would tell myself to have more confidence and fuck what other people think, and I would tell myself to play my ass off but to also pay attention to not jumping over the basics too quickly - also to finish college at 22 and to get a music education degree.

Also to not be so rigid in my demands for the "perfect" band.  :shred:
  • Seven MoonsSeven Moons Posts: 8,777
    Apart from a few concrete advices to avoid a couple of embarrassing situations, I'd probably say nothing. Only the dead never screw up. And it could be so much worse.

Anyways, my 10 year old self would never listen to the ramblings of an old coot.

• jebbuddajebbudda Posts: 5,030
    " Be careful what you wish for " .

• Be careful what you wish for
    Ha. Jeb, I have some things I'd tell your 10 year-old self about at least one of your exes.
  • RED_SGRED_SG Posts: 2,058
    - smoking pot on a daily basis while in college will slow you down, drive you tired and stupid. If you wanna party, keep it for the week-ends.
    -start lifting weights as soon as you can. It's good for you and will keep you away from becoming a 135lbs pussy stoner while in college.
    -while your in your 20s, don't waste your time playing in cover bands. You have all your time. Invest it in original music projects. Keep the cover band thing for your 30s when you have kids and therefore less time to invest in an original project.
  • maybeyesmaybeyes Posts: 4,522
    I am not sure I would tell myself a lot.  I always feel that the things you go through make you who you are.  Am I bitter, or unhappy?  No.  Really enjoy my job and such.

Well, maybe one thing.  I would probably tell myself to take some economics courses. You may understand it, but to get ahead people want to see it as part of your bachelors or masters degree.  So I would say do the double major sociology/economics or have at least a minor in economics.  It will help you move forward in the work environment faster.

Might warn myself to avoid some parties that were disasters, but not much else.

Never mistake a clear view for a short distance.

• BreakfastimeBreakfastime Posts: 2,152
    Have a good time, all the time. 

Be nice but not naive.

Once you start something, don't quit. 

• Have a good time, all the time. 
    Ah, the Viv Savage credo.  I do my best to live my life by that one.  :up:
  • cvansicklecvansickle Posts: 6,211
    Anything I would tell myself would have the potential to change history. For example, I think the events of 9/11/2001 changed the world, and definitely not for the better. I would tell myself to do whatever it takes to make sure this didn't happen. But then, who would believe me?
    Death Or Glory - Who Dares Wins!
  • Yeah, but the premise isn't to change history in such a major way. It's about what you would or could tell yourself.
  • otcconanotcconan Posts: 5,677
    "Forget this music shit, study engineering."