Rory Gallagher - Photo-Finish - OMG, Where Have I been?

cvansicklecvansickle Posts: 6,208
edited December 1969 in Off topic/NON-DINO Music Area
I saw on FB that Rory Gallagher's birthday was the other day, so I did a little research. I've heard the odd song here and there, and always sort of wrote him off as blues... Then I heard Photo-Finish in its entirety for the first time.

OH HELL YES! This is a ROCK album!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hpcupdc4eKs

Death Or Glory - Who Dares Wins!

Comments

• otcconanotcconan Posts: 5,677
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yml4V-zcf3A

All I needed to know he was a bad, bad man.
  • mr vmr v Posts: 57
    Try Top Priority the album that followed Photo, same line up and it's fooking great. Just picked up a new copy of Deuce his 2nd solo album and it's not been off the old gramophone.
  • Seven MoonsSeven Moons Posts: 8,774
    Yes, Top Priority is even more rocking than Photo-Finish IMO.  Both of them are superb albums of fiery blues-rock with an hard edge.
  • cvansicklecvansickle Posts: 6,208
    Yep, I just scored Top Priority as well. Rory found a flanger! I remember hearing "Follow Me" on the radio once or twice in 1979.
    Bad Penny is one of my all time favourite songs ever..........ever,ever,ever,ever.
  • VandenbergVandenberg Posts: 3,895
    I have never seen anyone, and I mean anyone play the guitar with as much "passion" when in full flight as Rory, Gary, Stevie Ray and plenty others could give it some, Rory just seemed to be able to give it more, man was super bad!
  • Sun Red SunSun Red Sun Posts: 476
    Rory was definite BADASS MONSTER on guitar. I myself got converted right here @ DRG when I saw this:

Follow Me

Until nowdays, if you wanted me to make a list of top ten live rock performances best ever, ever - I'd sneak this one in. Killing.

The point is - he was that badass almost all through his career - blues - then rock. He was just wired to this kind of grit and knack. I got recently the box with complete Ireland Tour 1974 - more blues than rock there, but oh boy, so many treats and jaw dropping performances...

I suggest you to make sure to get your hands on Stage Struck - it's the official summary of his strictly rocking years with Gerry Mc Avoy and Ted Mc Kenna in the band. And there is plenty of FM radio tapes from the 1978 -1982 circulating in the net. A lovely Rory pond to swim in.

Walk On The Hot Coals Madrid 1975
    Moonchild Loreley 1982

These kill too, enjoy!  :shred:
    Yep, when I first heard him, I had to make room in my top 3 blues dudes.  It used to be Jimi, SRV, Trower.  I couldn't bring my heart to kick out any of them, so it's a top four.

And this is truth:  I'd take him over Bluesbreaker Clapton, Mick Taylor, or Mike Bloomfield.  And Kossoff has a better vibrato but nowhere near the attitude.

• MAdXMAdX Posts: 1,993
    My favorite Strat tone ever!
  • AgrippaAgrippa Posts: 5,926
    I've loved the rockin side of Rory since a childhood friends bigbrother, who turned me on to many great artists, played "top priority" for me.
    My fave Rory albums are:

Photo-Finish – 1978
    Top Priority – 1979
    Stage Struck – 1980
    Jinx – 1982

and of course "Notes from San Francisco" (2010), which contain the album from '78 that was pulled, because Rory, inspired by The Sex Pistols, no less, wanted the album to go in a more power trio rockin direction, a change of direction that became "photofinish".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notes_from_San_Francisco

"Notes..." also contain a great live performance from San Francisco 1979
  • AgrippaAgrippa Posts: 5,926
    Ghost Blues, great docu 'bout Rory.

• OskyOsky Posts: 1,056
    My go to vid when I'm in a Rory mood... Montreux 1979
  • cvansicklecvansickle Posts: 6,208
    This guy just plugged in, played, and went for broke!
    [quote author=Osky link=topic=17185.msg260471#msg260471 date=1427149233]
    [/quote]

I read the story of SRV going down like a brick in Montreux in '82 or '83.  They made it seem like it was a jazz crowd that just hated rock.  You'd think Rory might have at least loosened them up for him.
    [quote author=Osky link=topic=17185.msg260471#msg260471 date=1427149233]
    [/quote]
    Yeah man a bit of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKsf_4vqp0k then 79 to round the day off nicely.