Freak Kitchen anyone?

2»

Comments

• HaffnerHaffner Posts: 7,895
    [quote author=inmyhands link=topic=17042.msg257369#msg257369 date=1420934246]

I've heard many listeners share the sentiment that Mattias Eklundh is highly talented on the electric guitar. Could someone here possibly post an example where he's not trying to play with his head up his ass?
    [/quote]

Cracking up! Sorry Rick, can't help you there. I do think he is an extraordinary player, but like the more devastatingly amazing Govan he's resoundingly NOT my cup of tea. When it comes to what that which is called "progressive" I listen to Fripp, Belew (if he qualifies, like Holdsworth he might be a genre in and of himself), Buckethead (whom dabbles in a very interesting way imo). I don't hear many in that realm making waves today, particularly in terms of enduring distinction (Govan included). Fripp just seemed more like a player I could feel and understand. When I listen to the former two I usually last about a song and then start wanting to throw on the aforementioned Holdsworth (I know I know "but he's FUSION!" damn the semantics!) :chuckle:

But that's just me. If I feel like listening to more involved Rock/Metal stuff I reach for Crimson, Zappa...Bungle. I also question the validity of the term "progressive" when applied to many, if not all, of the names on this thread, i.e. what's so "progressive" about it? How is the music or guitar playing taking the norm further? Have the musicians in question progressed music anymore than the Beatles (ha-ha NO), guitarists more than Jimi Hendrix, Pete Townshend (I'm guessing a resounding negative on this point as well). If we're talking a "progression in technique" ( :snoozin:), wouldn't it be more apt, if one chooses a label outside of good ole "Rock" or "Metal", to call it Technical Rock, Technical Metal. Or Virtuosic Rock?

I could be wrong :036:
  • eduardoritoseduardoritos Posts: 3,614
    Well, that's a prog-metal song, with his verse, chorus, backing vocals, solo...

And rare guitar tone:
    [quote author=eduardoritos link=topic=17042.msg258060#msg258060 date=1422525686]
    Well, that's a prog-metal song, with his verse, chorus, backing vocals, solo...

And rare guitar tone:
    [/quote]

Wow, that was a big turn off. No disrespect. I haven't disliked something that much in a long time.
  • jebbuddajebbudda Posts: 5,030
    The guitar tone sounds like a old Rockman that somebody Duct taped together . :doh:

Its the same tone on Art Metal .  :rolleyes:

Give him credit for sounding different than everybody else but thats some of the worst guitar tone I've heeard in a long time .

• EugenicScumEugenicScum Posts: 5,323
    Yeah, I hate it even more now that I know about guitar tones somewhat more than when I was a non-guitarist fan.
    Check out my band: Bevar Sea
  • otcconanotcconan Posts: 5,677
    I like him, but placing him in prog is like lining Petrucci up with Vai.  Or, more accurately, aligning Freak Kitchen with Opeth.  Not really the same thing.

To me, prog metal (since the word comes from progressive) goes Rush -> Queensryche -> Fates Warning -> Dream Theater -> Opeth -> whatever's next.  Yeah, there are bands in there that fit in somewhere, but there's your top 5.

To me, he's somewhere in there with Ron Thal, aka, Bumblefoot, or Buckethead, with the added benefit of never having lost his integrity enough to work for Axl Rose.

[quote author=otcconan link=topic=17042.msg259560#msg259560 date=1425487519]

To me, he's somewhere in there with Ron Thal, aka, Bumblefoot, or Buckethead, with the added benefit of never having lost his integrity enough to work for Axl Rose.

[/quote]

:roll: