Freak Kitchen anyone?

Dr NickDr Nick Posts: 3,605
I was looking at a poll for best prog guitarist.

Guthrie Govan was running at #2, so I checked out the guy at #1: Mattias Eklundh.

I'd not heard of him before, but checked out Youtube, and this came up.

Do you know - I quite like it! Quirky, but he can sing, he has melody, I like the riffing, and there are some interesting ideas in the lead playing.

Worth delving more deeply, I wonder?

Comments

• SkyeSkye Posts: 1,661
    [quote author=Dr Nick link=topic=17042.msg257356#msg257356 date=1420902710]
    I was looking at a poll for best prog guitarist.

Guthrie Govan was running at #2, so I checked out the guy at #1: Mattias Eklundh.

I'd not heard of him before, but checked out Youtube, and this came up.

Do you know - I quite like it! Quirky, but he can sing, he has melody, I like the riffing, and there are some interesting ideas in the lead playing.

Worth delving more deeply, I wonder?

[/quote]

Yea I saw a clip of him a few years ago doing a clinic - definitely an interesting player - gets some wild whammy bar sounds....
  • DonthegreekDonthegreek Posts: 2,770
    I've tried to get into these guys...I don't know.....he's an interesting guitarist, but a little to off the wall for me as a total package musically.
    Here's a couple live clips.

An acquired taste for sure.
  • Seven MoonsSeven Moons Posts: 8,772
    I have a CD (Land Of The Freaks), which I have played maybe 4 or 5 times...  I'd describe this as a weirdo version of Paul Gilbert's music. I'm not a fan of either, even though they're excellent musicians.
  • AgrippaAgrippa Posts: 5,926
    I like his originality, but I haven't been able to get into his music from more than an "interessting playing" viewpoint.

But he IS very inspiring, here he plays yhe Yamaha thr10x practise amp, and his use of volume pedal made me find my old Boss passive volume pedal, and try to emulate what he's doing.

• inmyhandsinmyhands Posts: 11,646
    This sounded nothing like prog to me.

Prog Rock makes me think King Crimson, Pink Floyd, Rush, ELP, Yes, etc.

Prog metal makes me think Dream Theater, Stratovarius, Symphony X, etc.

A group of sane people need to get behind Guthrie in this poll.

I've heard many listeners share the sentiment that Mattias Eklundh is highly talented on the electric guitar. Could someone here possibly post an example where he's not trying to play with his head up his ass?
  • Dr NickDr Nick Posts: 3,605
    I quite like the song I posted. Under it all there's a good solid rock/metal riff. I can cope with a bit of weirdness if the song is good.
    Wouldn't label it prog either, from what I've heard.

• VenomboyVenomboy Posts: 3,601
    I saw Matthias do a little demo at NAMM. Great player, but can't really get into his band.

• EugenicScumEugenicScum Posts: 5,323
    This is something he did with Jonas Hellborg, and it's the only one I can listen to anymore:

I used to be a huge fan of IA and his bands, and have seen him numerous times in the past, but in the past few years I really can't get into even the older albums that I used to love. Great player, but too caught up in being different and quirky so he seems to forget that he has to play riffs. It's all mostly just crazy time signatures, weird ass scales and phrasing, and poppy vocals. If he played more riffs, I'd dig it still. But the link above has it all, except the production kind of lets it down.
    Check out my band: Bevar Sea
  • jebbuddajebbudda Posts: 5,030
    YES....He has been collaborating with Jonas Hellborg in the ART METAL project . Indian percussion with the Johannson brothers on drums and keys . The track that EugenicScum posted is from the first album which I really enjoyed . But HOLY SHIT that stuff is out there . The second album sucks ..The Jazz Raj...two 20 minute tracks that go nowhere .

IA does tons of experimenting . He specializes in wierd tone and using things like vibrators and other objects to create whacked out sounds . His tone on the Art Metal albums gets on my nerves sometimes but I give him credit in the creativity department . He walks a fine line between noise and music IMHO .
  • mr_crowleymr_crowley Posts: 6,614
    As he is a Swede and actually lives here and talks to media (something YJM defintely doesn't do :chuckle: ) he is hailed as the ultimate guitar god in most musical publications.
    It is quite obvious he is great but I, as many here, can't get into his music. Seems like a decent bloke though.

But, and this is the reason I post here, IIRC he had some "hair metal"-ish project going really early on, in the late '80s/early '90s before he broke big with "his weirdo virtuous". Anyone know anything about that or am I completely off?
  • AgrippaAgrippa Posts: 5,926
    He has been part of so many projects over the years.
    A handful of those beeing trad rock/heavy bands.
    He played with Locomotive Breath in 97 and on Evergreys The Dark Discovery in 98.
    But if I'd had to guess, I'd say you' re thinking of Road Ratt, which he was a part of back in 92.
    I don't even know if there's any recordings of him playing with road ratt.
    He should be playing on this one, but it's not obvious IA material. 
    The bassist from Road Ratt, Christer Örtefors, plays in Freak Kitchen these days.
  • EugenicScumEugenicScum Posts: 5,323
    He was in Fate, which featured Hank Sherman before IA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scratch_'n'_Sniff
    Check out my band: Bevar Sea
  • mr_crowleymr_crowley Posts: 6,614
    You can trust the Dinos to know their shit, thanks guys :up:

It was Fate I was thinking of. I recall some really cheesy '80s video along the lines of Danger Danger but can't seem to find it, just this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8xieVFldbo
    Which is ridicolously lame :laugh:

This is cool though, the guitar work is insane:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=re1Mab7BrFs

Think I am gonna spend most of the remainer of my day digging up Fate stuff on the internet, haha :shred:
  • Dr NickDr Nick Posts: 3,605
    I got some Amazon vouchers so took the plunge and got the latest CD.

And I really like it!

There's enough proper riffing to satisfy the Dino part of me, there's definitely some Paul Gilbert-ish humour in places, and I think he's predominantly playing fretless guitar so he produces some really wild/clever sounds that way, not with the whammy bar or a whammy pedal, although he's used both in the past. Or could be a mixture of all.

Crazy stuff.
  • eduardoritoseduardoritos Posts: 3,593
    I've seen this band live once and, man, that was actual dino music (at least, 10 years ago).
    Mattias sings very well, and drummer and bassist were killer.