Any other Wishbone Ash fans here?

iGougeriGouger Posts: 283
I had my phone playing music on shuffle a few days back and it happened to play some Wishbone Ash. I haven't listened to em in awhile, but man this really made me remember why I loved this band so much.

They were and still are some of my heroes... I consider the members of their classic lineup to be some of rock's fallen heroes. Those first four albums are masterpieces which fuse the best elements of blues, jazz, a dash of country, progressive rock, and above all, folk. But after those first four albums, their classic lineup disintegrated and to this day they haven't released anything anywhere near as good since.  :sad2:

Not really dino music, but they came close sometimes on songs like "Warrior," "The King Will Come," "Blind Eye," and "Phoenix." I also remember hearing in a Michael Schenker interview that he was influenced partly by Andy Powell's playing. Maybe it was simply the fact that Powell was using a Flying V in a rock format and nothing more.  :hmm: I think Steve Harris also said that Wishbone's third album (Argus) in particular was influential on Maiden's format--lots of folk, prog, and blues elements with dueling twin guitars on stuff like "Warrior" and "Throw Down the Sword."

Guitar-wise, Andy Powell and Ted Turner struck me as very good, but rather faceless guitarists. For example, when Ted Turner left and Laurie Wisefield replaced him, I didn't notice much of a sonic difference.  :036: But Powell played with enough attitude and recent videos suggest that he still does to an extent. However I think their greatest strength was in their songwriting.

I just wanted to ask the question here cause I don't see anyone talking about 'em but I think their music (at least those first four albums) really stand the test of time and are worth a listen, especially if you like dino music. Again, not dino music, but great in its own right IMO, and they were around at the same time as guys like Deep Purple.

If someone were to ask me to list some of my favorite bands, Wishbone Ash would certainly be in the list.

Comments

• HaffnerHaffner Posts: 7,886
    I love the classics, plus they were an influence on bands like Leppard and Maiden.

• LerxstFanLerxstFan Posts: 4,697
    So underrated! There is a lot of great music in their catalog!
  • DonthegreekDonthegreek Posts: 2,770
    Been a fan since their 1st lp.....still buy their cds today.  :biggrin2:  I believe Blackmore was responsible in getting these guys a recording contract. And the rest is history as they say.
  • inmyhandsinmyhands Posts: 11,643
    Been a fan for long and long.

• Big fan.

Shame theres has been so much infighting over the rights to the band name over the years.

I have seen 'Martin Turners Wishbone Ash' a few times (singer/bass player) and Andy Powell's Wishbone Ash is touring as we speak.

However, the latest set of legal wranglings mean that Andy Powell can tour as 'Wishbone Ash' and Martin Turner has to tour as 'Martin Turner playing the music of Wishbone Ash'

Anyway, both sets put on a pretty decent show.

• Seven MoonsSeven Moons Posts: 8,771
    The only Wishbone Ash album I have is Argus. It's a great guitar album, choke full of classic tones, and it's also very good songwise, but I never felt the need to hear more. Not sure why, maybe I just need my prog rock to be a little bit more extravagant.

I saw Andy Powell live a few years ago, in a Rory Gallagher tribute show featuring Pat McManus and Eric Bell. There was a smoking rendition of Blowing Free, among other things. 
  • iGougeriGouger Posts: 283
    Have you heard "Phoenix" or "Handy" off of their debut album or "The Pilgrim" off of their second? Those are a lot more prog than anything on Argus.

And yeah, it's sad how Powell and Turner can't make up on the issue. I'm sure both bands are good, but I'm not sure if either will ever br as good as Wishbone Ash as a whole was at their peak.
  • Yeah...definitely a fan. Particularly if live dates volume two and Laurie Wisefield s amazing playing
  • HaffnerHaffner Posts: 7,886
    Argus is the one that's been a constant in my collection for decades, and will remain. A great album imo.
  • I have also only really listened to Argus, but I picked up Live Dates last year. I've listened to the double once or twice, but I don't have a record player at school, so I haven't had much time to listen to it. From what I remember, it was great.

If I made a list of albums that I think are or are nearly flawless, Argus would be on it. I've listened to it quite a bit and thoroughly enjoy it.
  • iGougeriGouger Posts: 283
    Lots of praise for Argus and that's awesome. I think that album takes the best of the bluesy direction of their first album and the best of the folksy direction of their second. IMO Argus is the most cohesive and balanced album from their classic lineup.

That being said, Wishbone Ash and Pilgrimage have their moments too, and I personally think that the high points in those albums are higher than those on Argus, despite Argus overall being the most consistent album. "Errors of my Way" from their debut album and "Valediction" from their second, for example, are great.

Was listening to Wishbone Four earlier today... overall very strong album. "Ballad of the Beacon" sounds VERY John Denver-ish in a good way. I'm going to be listening to more of the Laurie Wisefield-era stuff because I was watching some live performances and Wisefield could really play.  :shred: I remember that most of the Wisefield-era stuff didn't strike me as that great, but it's important to listen to things multiple times and with fresh ears. Heck, I didn't really like BOC's Spectres the first time I heard it and now it's one of my all-time favorite records.
  • Like others I'm a big fan of Argus and also love Live Dates 2.

Argus is a classic album and their twin guitar lead definetely has been influencial. Will take your suggestions on other albums on board and see what I can find.

thanks mate, excellent post +1
  • MAdXMAdX Posts: 1,993
    [quote author=iGouger link=topic=16911.msg255610#msg255610 date=1415651021]
    I think Steve Harris also said that Wishbone's third album (Argus) in particular was influential on Maiden's format--lots of folk, prog, and blues elements with dueling twin guitars on stuff like "Warrior" and "Throw Down the Sword."
    [/quote]

Having a listen through Argus now, and I think you could also draw the conclusion that Martin Turner influenced Steve's bass playing. The ending bass line in Sometime World reminds me of the same style of "busy" bass lines he would typically use on the early Maiden songs such as Transylvania.

Great album!  :metal: