Monster Mash

guitarrednfeatheredguitarrednfeathered Posts: 4,180
I am watching the original Halloween movie right now and reading about it at the same time.

I saw this: "The Halloween theme is written in the rare 5/4 time signature. John Carpenter learned this rhythm from his father."

So you know the music from that movie, right? And you know the movie from Jaws, Twilight Zone, and Psycho. Maybe you know the music from Nightmare on Elm Street, or House of a Thousand Corpses.

What's your favorite horror/sci fi music and do you have a reason why?

Oh, and have a very happy Halloween week!  :ahhh: :chainsaw: :pray: :twisted:

Comments

• cvansicklecvansickle Posts: 6,211
    I thought the thread was going to be about the Halloween pop hit "Monster Mash" by Bobby "Boris" Pickett! That song was #1 on the charts at the time I was born.

Mike Oldfield's "Tubular Bells" from The Exorcist usually sends a chill...
    Death Or Glory - Who Dares Wins!
  • shaggyshaggy Posts: 859
    I don't know if its from a horror movie, if it's not it should be. I just know it as the Ozzy intro, I'm sure you know what I mean. I don't know its official title.
  • iGougeriGouger Posts: 283
    I think Don Airey wrote that on his own. You're onto something though--I totally agree it could be used as part of a horror movie.

I don't listen to much film music, although I respect the genre as a whole. But in terms of dino-esque music that could fit in a horror movie like "Mr. Crowley" would, I think a lot of BOC and Black Sabbath stuff could work. "Black Sabbath" (the song), "Nosferatu," "I Love the Night," "Unknown Tongue," "Screams," "Joan Crawford," that sort of stuff. Spectres as a whole has a very macabre, ghostly, otherworldly feel to it...

Also, the intro to UFO's "Love to Love" would work really nicely for an opening sequence. Or something.

And yes, happy Halloween to everyone. Enjoy that discounted candy while you can...
  • AgrippaAgrippa Posts: 5,928
    Lovely Thread !

Mike Oldfields Tubular Bells is a great call, it works so great with that movie.
    I was ten when The exorcist came out, so I heard the music first. I knew Tubular Bells, and loved it way before I saw the movie.
    I couldn't understand how this serene, almost pastoral music, was "scary" to people who had seen the movie.
    Then I saw the movie, which is a fave of mine today, and I understood.

I have two pieces of music from Horror/sci-fi movies, that are my faves. Of course I love all of A Space Odysseys soundtrack, but that doesn' t really count.

1) The Haunting Of Julia aka Full Circle, music by Colin Towns (ex-Gillan). Colin is my fave keyboardist. IMO He's up there with Lord, Eddie Jobson and Tony Carey and sometimes even better than those.

Listen to this thing, it's really something.

2) Eric Claptons and Michael Kamens Gilmouresque theme to the original British TV sci-fi thriller Edge Of Darkness. It came out as a movie starring Mel Gibson a few years back, which I won't comment.

• EugenicScumEugenicScum Posts: 5,323
    I'm generally a big fan of Ennio Morricone and John Carpenter soundtracks. So you can imagine how much I like The Thing soundtrack. We use it for Bevar Sea's live set intro.
    Check out my band: Bevar Sea
  • AgrippaAgrippa Posts: 5,928
    Awesome.
    The Thing was my pick too, untill I recalled "The Edge Of Darkness".
  • SnoogansSnoogans Posts: 1,670
    [quote author=shaggy link=topic=16873.msg254956#msg254956 date=1414457542]
    I don't know if its from a horror movie, if it's not it should be. I just know it as the Ozzy intro, I'm sure you know what I mean. I don't know its official title.
    [/quote]

Here it is, performed by Andre Rieu - The AntiOzzy!  :biggrin2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJC-_j3SnXk
  • shaggyshaggy Posts: 859
    [quote author=Snoogans link=topic=16873.msg254962#msg254962 date=1414484225]
    [quote author=shaggy link=topic=16873.msg254956#msg254956 date=1414457542]
    [/quote]

Here it is, performed by Andre Rieu - The AntiOzzy!   :biggrin2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJC-_j3SnXk
    [/quote]

Yip thats then one. Loved the air conducting from the people who probably look down their noses at us air guitaring.
  • [quote author=EugenicScum link=topic=16873.msg254959#msg254959 date=1414471825]
    We use it for Bevar Sea's live set intro.
    [/quote]
    That's awesome, Dude!
  • Loving the answers.
    And sorry, Chris! Didn't mean to mislead ya.  :wink: