Ghost BC

Gunner4LifeGunner4Life Posts: 6,320
I'm finding this band interesting. The music reminds me a little of BOC, like the song Ritual, but lyrically they remind me of Mercyful Fate or King Diamond. Anyone familiar with them, or have more info about them?

Comments

• SanchoSancho Posts: 18,678
    I have their CDs. They're polarizing metalheads in Europe. Seems like either you really dig them, or think they're posers and should be shunned.
    I quite like them, for the record. But they've got a long way to go if they ever want to reach the level of MF/KD.
  • AgrippaAgrippa Posts: 5,928
    I have both their records, I too enjoy the BOC similarities.
    A couple of my friends and me have had a little "Ghost apprediation society" going these last couple of years, where we regulary meet and listen to the records, and have dinner and drink expensive imported beer.
    Eponymous Opus

infestissumam

As you can gather, I have played both records a lot, but prefer the 2nd, Infestisumam.
    The song writing is just better imo.

I saw them live at Copenhell last year, they were even better live than I had hoped.

In all honesty, I often tire of bands with a retro sound, but that hasn't happend with Ghost (BC) yet.
    Even records by rather good bands like "Graveyard", "Witchcraft" or "Electric Wizard", I just get bored with the sound, no matter how good they are. Maybe because, somewhere, it doesn't feel honest ?
    I don't know. But Ghost (BC) is still on my turntable from time to time.

They are very tongue in cheek imo, or enigmatic, whatever you prefer.. There's been rumours that there's members from Swedish Black Metal bands Marduk and Ondskabt and Shining among the members of Ghost (or Ghost BC in the states), but that's still rumours

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_(Swedish_band)

http://ghost-official.com/
  • Gunner4LifeGunner4Life Posts: 6,320
    I'm not implying they are as good as Mercyful Fate, just stylistically I hear that and BOC, especially BOC in the chorus of Ritual.
  • HaffnerHaffner Posts: 7,890
    [quote author=Sancho link=topic=16842.msg254558#msg254558 date=1413737992]
    But they've got a long way to go if they ever want to reach the level of MF/KD.
    [/quote]

I like what they're trying to do...to me they're like a revival band. I just haven't heard anything anywhere near the writing or playing quality of Fate or Diamond yet; I do think it would be very killer if they did reach those heights though.

Mark's band Bedowyn seems to be doing better songwriting wise (at least to my ears), and isn't far away from that MF/KD vein either. That's a very good thing to me.
  • Seven MoonsSeven Moons Posts: 8,777
    They've been hyped a lot here. I regard them as a good power pop band (nothing wrong about that), but definitely not metal. Their music is catchy, but I think it's also very shallow. I see where the BÖC and MF references are coming from, but BÖC had much more depth and intricacy, and MF are a thousand times heavier than these guys.  

As Sancho said, they're very polarizing. Guess on which side I am...  :chuckle:
  • iGougeriGouger Posts: 283
    Listened to the link posted and I love it! Will be listening to the rest of their catalogue to get a better impression of them.
  • VenomboyVenomboy Posts: 3,601
    Methinks they are crap
  • maybeyesmaybeyes Posts: 4,522
    Interesting.  Need to hear a bit more.  Will have to give some more music a listen. Def hear the BOC similarities.

Never mistake a clear view for a short distance.

• Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,456
    [quote author=Haffner link=topic=16842.msg254562#msg254562 date=1413739383]
    [quote author=Sancho link=topic=16842.msg254558#msg254558 date=1413737992]
    But they've got a long way to go if they ever want to reach the level of MF/KD.
    [/quote]

I like what they're trying to do...to me they're like a revival band. I just haven't heard anything anywhere near the writing or playing quality of Fate or Diamond yet; I do think it would be very killer if they did reach those heights though.

Mark's band Bedowyn seems to be doing better songwriting wise (at least to my ears), and isn't far away from that MF/KD vein either. That's a very good thing to me.
    [/quote]

Wow....thanks Andy. That is one of the coolest comments I have heard about our music. While I think we not on the level of MF or KD  either it's nice to be mentioned in the same sentence. Mercyful Fate is big influence for me.

As far as Ghost goes....I think the music is good. I like the retro rock sound and the melodies......but that band just doesn't grab me like it seems to many people. I really don't get the hype. I hear the MF and BOC comparisons all the time and both of those bands did what they did much better. I may have to sit down and listen to their albums to get a more well informed opinion.
  • mr_crowleymr_crowley Posts: 6,614
    I think they are OK. They have some great melodies and catchy tunes. It doesn't really go beyond that for me. It sorts of fall short in the long run :036:
    Was a huge buzz when their first album dropped, at least here in Sweden.

I made a thread about them back in 2011 or something: http://dinosaurrockguitar.com/forum/index.php?topic=11889.0

Saw them live this past May. It was very competent but very boring IMO. Could have been becuase it was mid-day on a muddy field (festival) but yeah. Cool that they have so much succes that they have with such Dino-approved music though :clap:
    I'm listening to their Opus Eponymous album. As someone who hasn't really listened to any modern (post 90s) music in awhile, I gotta say I'm really impressed and enthused by what I hear. I'm glad that there's a band out there who's come out within the past decade whom I can enjoy. "Ritual" and "Genesis" to me are the standout tracks of their first album.

Sure, compared to Blue Öyster Cult, they may fall short, but I'll be damned if I ever hear any NEW ORIGINAL music come from the Cult, seeing as their last studio release was 13 years ago... but here's an original band who puts out decent material. And while Ghost may lack the lyrical or stylistic breadth of BÖC, I still love the melodies, arrangements, and riffs that I'm hearing. Additionally, for me, saying that a band falls short compared to BÖC isn't really saying much because in my mind, BÖC is in a league of their own where very few bands have ever reached, or ever will reach.  :notworthy:

Will listen to their second album later today when I have the time and after I'm finished with this one...
  • Seven MoonsSeven Moons Posts: 8,777
    [quote author=iGouger link=topic=16842.msg254592#msg254592 date=1413831601]
    I'm glad that there's a band out there who's come out within the past decade whom I can enjoy.
    [/quote]

There are LOTS of new bands putting out great music. If you enjoy Ghost BC, you might want to check out The Devil's Blood, for example:

Thanks for the suggestion, Seven Moons.  :smile: Listened to the links you posted and have Infestissusumam or however you spelled it queued up next.

Devil's Blood certainly sounds a lot more ambitious and complex than Ghost. A little closer stylistically to the kind of music I like, too! I won't deny that there are great modern bands, but for me it's just hard to find them. Very little of the mainstream stuff is worth bothering with and even the underground stuff most of my peers like (metalcore) is crap. It's easier to put on stuff from the 60s-70s-80s which I know is good and is more accessible. Also, I've only been listening to rock/metal for about 5 years and I still have a long ways to go in regards to listening to all the classics... Maybe once I've exhausted that pool of music, I'll search more vigorously for newer bands. And maybe by that time, today's great modern bands will be considered classics as well.  :mrhappy:

Anyway, one thing I will say about bands like Ghost, Devil's Blood, King Diamond, and Venom is that I never could really get into the whole Satanism shindig...  :036: the music itself is very well-crafted but I'd much prefer even hair metal lyrics to the Satanist stuff. That's just a personal thing, though--I find the Satanist thing to be kinda over the top and preachy. BÖC and Sabbath have mentioned Satan and used religious motifs in their songs but not really with the purpose of advocating a Satanist message; their lyrics are typically more philosophical or poetic than outright religious.
  • SnoogansSnoogans Posts: 1,670
    I have heard them a few times on the radio. Not my kind of thing, but they seem to be pretty good at it. I was more surprised to see a Gibson RD in the video!