If you could only listen to one player's music for the rest of your life...

iGougeriGouger Posts: 283
...Then who would it be? Just a little question I was considering earlier today, thought I'd make it into a little forum game.  :wink:

Guidelines:
-Doesn't necessarily have to be your favorite player; consider diversity and versatility. If you're only going to listen to ONE player for the rest of your life, you don't want to get tired of him/her easily.

-If s/he's in a 2 or more guitar band, that's fine and you can listen to the full package, but not any stuff that doesn't feature said guitarist. I. E. if you pick Dave Murray, the Maiden catalog is fair game but no listening to Chemical Wedding etc.

-Doesn't have to be a dinosaur rock guitarist. Kinda goes hand-in-hand with the first point.

-If you REALLY can't decide on one guitarist, then post two.

-It'd be nice to include a reason for your pick(s), but don't feel pressured if you don't want.

I'll start off by saying Gary Moore. Tied with M. Schenker for my favorite all-around player, but Moore has a more varied studio output. With Schenker you either get straightforward rock or more delicate instrumentals; with Moore you have more: kickass dino rock (Corridors through Run for Cover), jazz fusion (Coliseum 2, Back on the Streets), Thin Lizzy ("Still in Love With You," Black Rose), Celtic-themed rock (Wild Frontier and Black Rose again), pop-rock (G Force), and blues rock (Grinding Stone arguably, and the occasional bluesy bit like "Empty Rooms" and "The Messiah Will Come Again.") Oh, and straightforward blues. I can pretend that Dark Days and Different Beat don't exist.  :puke:

If allowed a second, I'd go with Blackmore because of varied studio output and amazing live material.

Comments

• shaggyshaggy Posts: 859
    Of course you know that you're never going to listen to another new record for the rest of your life because your guy is dead.
  • iGougeriGouger Posts: 283
    Yes I'm well aware of that, but his existing output is so strong as it stands.

Most rock guitarists are past their prime anyway--can't think of any newer releases which eclipse albums from their heyday.
  • SnoogansSnoogans Posts: 1,670
    I was originally going to go with Paul Gilbert, but after a bit more thought I've decided it would more likely be Devin Townsend.
    It's the sheer variety of his work, from his melodic solo stuff all the way to the batshit-crazy Strapping Young Lad. And Front Line Assembly too!  :metal:
    The Vai album ain't great though....
  • OskyOsky Posts: 1,056
    Its a dead heat between...

Brian May... the magnificence and diversity of Queen's 70's output would keep me going a long time. Plus as a bonus I get to hear EVH on Star Fleet and Bri's later solo work isn't bad either.

and

Steve Stevens again because of the quality and breadth of his work. Obviously we get Billy Idol but also Atomic Playboys, his Flamenco album and his excellent Memory Crash and even the Vince Neil solo LP (which is great despite Vince being on it!). There's also his session work with heaps of people like Rik Ocasek, Robert Palmer, Mike Monroe... oh and not forgetting the Top Gun theme!
  • HaffnerHaffner Posts: 7,887
    [quote author=Osky link=topic=16788.msg253906#msg253906 date=1412262671]

Steve Stevens again because of the quality and breadth of his work. [/quote]

Switch Uli Jon Roth with Stevens and you have me, but I'm sure practically everyone guessed that. :guitar:
  • SnoogansSnoogans Posts: 1,670
    Oooo... I never thought about Steve Stevens!  :hmm:
  • JoebuddhaJoebuddha Posts: 2,114
    it would have to be Jimmy Page.
    To be honest there have been periods of several weeks where Zeppelin was the only music I allowed myself to listen to at all.
  • HaffnerHaffner Posts: 7,887
    [quote author=Joebuddha link=topic=16788.msg253928#msg253928 date=1412296428]
    To be honest there have been periods of several weeks where Zeppelin was the only music I allowed myself to listen to at all.

[/quote]

I was that way about Blackmore's 1970s discography on and off for decades, plus a certain album with the initials PS. I kind of burned out on a lot of it a few years ago. Still, I can't see myself going long without it, classic Rainbow and Purple are my Zeppelin I guess.
    [quote author=Haffner link=topic=16788.msg253930#msg253930 date=1412298974]
    [quote author=Joebuddha link=topic=16788.msg253928#msg253928 date=1412296428]

[/quote]

I was that way about Blackmore's 1970s discography on and off for decades, plus a certain album with the initials PS. I kind of burned out on a lot of it a few years ago. Still, no denying I'll probably go through those obsessive periods again.
    [/quote]

Blackers was my first guitar hero, and I had a similar experience... back in high school for about a year I pretty much ONLY listened to DP and Rainbow. Nice choice with Uli BTW.  :up:

Steve Stevens... I really gotta listen to his stuff more, as I'm unfamiliar with his work and I'm seeing more and more stuff here crop up about him.
  • AgrippaAgrippa Posts: 5,926
    Buck Dharma.

The setting he plays in (BOC) I would be able to enjoy for years.

I'd sure miss all the others, but the BOC discography is to me very diverse.
  • maybeyesmaybeyes Posts: 4,522
    Hmmmm.  Off the top of my head, I would say Schenker and/or Gary Moore, but gotta say Steve Stevens is an excellent choice as well.  Now I gotta think more about this.

Never mistake a clear view for a short distance.

• Smoking GunsSmoking Guns Posts: 4,547
    We all know Dave's... Mark Knopfler  :ohyeah:
  • jebbuddajebbudda Posts: 5,030
    Wow . Tough one .

Recently...the past couple years actually...I can't get enough Chris Poland : OHM , Ohm-Phrey ,solo , Megadeth you name it....I love it all .

His phrasing and vibrato have planted a seed in my brain . :laugh:

The guys legato is nothing short of awe inspiring . :pray:

I worship his tone . :notworthy:

He is my favorite guitarist of any genre at the present . :shred:
  • Seven MoonsSeven Moons Posts: 8,772
    Not easy, but being allowed to listen to nothing else, I think I'd go with Buck Dharma for the sheer musical diversity of BÖC.
    [quote author=Smoking Guns link=topic=16788.msg253940#msg253940 date=1412313679]
    We all know Dave's... Mark Knopfler  :ohyeah:
    [/quote]
    :mrhappy:

Also, I feel kind of stupid now for forgetting about BOC, whose logo is my forum avatar...  :blush: Think I would pick Buck's work over Blackers'...

Jebbudda, awesome choice too. Poland is great.