Motley Crue?

124»

Comments

• yngwie666yngwie666 Posts: 6,557
    I've read "The Heroin diaries" from Nikki Sixx. At least for once a rock star biography which has a honest title about the content...
    In Steven's Tyler bio, at least half of the book is about drug stories and very little about the music.
  • [quote author=jebbudda link=topic=16625.msg251961#msg251961 date=1407913905]
    It gave me a new respect for Frank Ferrana...I mean Nikki Six . I hope he knows how LUCKY he really is .

IMHO Tommy Lee is the only guy that really knew how to play . Mick Mars was #2 . Turns out Nikki Six didn't know the difference between a guitar and a bass . He was gonna make it or die tryin' . Its a wonder he's not dead .
    [/quote]

Nikki Sixx ABSOLUTELY knows how lucky he is and talks about, writes about it, and shoots a lot of pictures that are obvious reflections on that sentiment.

*Incidentally, that story about him not knowing the difference between a bass and a guitar while true, was in his very early youth. We all know a little more about music than we did when we were teenagers, I think....

[quote author=yngwie666 link=topic=16625.msg251971#msg251971 date=1407926748]
    I've read "The Heroin diaries" from Nikki Sixx. At least for once a rock star biography which has a honest title about the content...
    In Steven's Tyler bio, at least half of the book is about drug stories and very little about the music.
    [/quote]

I loved Walk This Way and thought there was a lot of depth and story to it.  :036: Doing too many drugs was a large part of what happened to Steven Tyler and Aerosmith for many years so it would be a dishonest omission. But I really felt like there was a lot of content about the music industry and their music in addition to their private lives and how it was all layered together.

More fun to read The Dirt though, I guess.  :tongue:  That book was like putting a big bowl of potato chips or popcorn in the middle of the room and trying to eat  just a few pages at a time. Not gonna happen.
  • yngwie666yngwie666 Posts: 6,557
    "Walk This Way" is a different book than the one I'm talking about : "Does the Noise in My Head Bother You?".  I expect to see drug stories in these rock star biographies but read Keith Richards book "Life" : drugs are obviously part of it but there is much more in it.
  • mr_crowleymr_crowley Posts: 6,614
    I would like to see rockstar biography that actually focused on the music and the creation of it. THAT would be refreshing!
    As entertaining as The Dirt is (which also was kind of the first of it's kind - 80s band complete confession tale) the genre is done to death. It isn't like it is an accomplishment to do a lot of drugs and screw a lot of skanky girls. Rather the opposite.
    I like to read about how the classic songs were written and the classic albums being recorded. All the nerdy stuff. Basically the stuff that made it possible for the guy to write the book in the first place!

I guess that doesn't sell though :down:

One a side note: I am just a few chapters in Ace Frehley's No Regrets. It actually seems quite promising :up:
  • maybeyesmaybeyes Posts: 4,522
    Crowley - try Martin Popoff - most of his books deal with the recording of the albums and stuff like that.

Never mistake a clear view for a short distance.