Motley Crue?

Comments

• iGougeriGouger Posts: 283
    [quote author=Agrippa link=topic=16625.msg251685#msg251685 date=1407416386]
    I saw Motley Crue at Wacken a couple of years ago. I felt so sorry for them, they were embarresingly and horrendously awful. Vince Neils didn' t do vocals, he mostly sheirked and wheezed through the numbers, and they were so untight. It basically sounded like an 80 year old lady with C.O.P.D. in her death throes.

[/quote]
    Ouch.

[quote author=jebbudda link=topic=16625.msg251689#msg251689 date=1407417942]
    When I saw them live they were wasted ...and I mean wasted .

The first 20 minutes was nothing but static . Back in those days City Island allowed people to bring coolers which provided the beer bottle ammo we launched at the stage . :fu:
    [/quote]
    Also ouch.... it's good to get impressions of what others thought of Motley Crue during live performances. For me, all I hear right now is the sound of the studio albums. I was considering trying to see them live if they came to perform anywhere near me, but posts here are giving me second thoughts.

• [quote author=jebbudda link=topic=16625.msg251689#msg251689 date=1407417942]
    Back in those days City Island allowed people to bring coolers which provided the beer bottle ammo we launched at the stage . :fu:
    [/quote]

And that makes you (and other people who were just like you) the reason that none of us are allowed to bring coolers to concerts today.
  • [quote author=iGouger link=topic=16625.msg251714#msg251714 date=1407440720]

Also ouch.... it's good to get impressions of what others thought of Motley Crue during live performances. For me, all I hear right now is the sound of the studio albums. I was considering trying to see them live if they came to perform anywhere near me, but posts here are giving me second thoughts.

[/quote]

I would NOT read posts about Motley Crue concerts from yesterday and be scared off from seeing this tour. At the time of their reign the members of this band were in the throes of some of the heaviest substance addiction in Rock and Roll history. Today Nikki Sixx (who was quite possibly the most fucked up on drugs of any of them) spends lots of time talking about his decades long sobriety on his Facebook page and his radio show, as well as implying his love of sobriety and empathy for the struggle of it in others in his pictures. He's an avid photographer and shoots lots of very moving, tasteful, melancholy pictures.

In the meantime, they have been conditioning themselves (all of them) for this final tour which they've shouted about far and wide for a long time before the tour actually commenced. They are ready to put on the show of their lives and I sincerely doubt you have to worry about being disappointed. They've grown up and do not wish to leave the memory of their own legend in tatters.  I wish I'd gone ahead and pissed away the money on tickets. I really wanted to go and I'll always be sad that I chose to miss it.

If you go, I expect a full vicarious experience via review on this forum.  :guitar:
    Point taken. Will do so if I get the chance.
  • BreakfastimeBreakfastime Posts: 2,152
    I only saw 'em once, right after Shout came out.  I thought they were good but not great.  We'd heard them (some of their set) on the live broadcast of the US Festival and they sounded nice and raw (whole show now on youtube of course).  Six months later, they certainly suffered a lousy mix in Houston (in a space adjacent to the Astrodome,  normally reserved for Rodeo animals!) and maybe were already experiencing the drain of months of touring?  They just seemed disinterested or something.  Maybe a bad batch of drugs?

Anyhow, I largely lost interest in them after that, especially when "Smokin' in the Boys Room" came along a couple years later, and the Theatre album was such a wash. They did come back strong w/Girls/Doctor albums but I never rushed out to buy those.  

I do like Mick Mars as a player for sure, his tone on Shout album is particularly awesome, very raw and fat.  Later on he did get more into stacking guitar sounds for texture but Shout still sounds the best to these ears

US Festival, yeah there's a couple of fuckups and basically they sound like a bar band but that's good rock n roll imo:

(band starts at 3 minute mark)

edit: I gotta say it gets kind of painful in there ^ in a couple of spots...so I fired up "Theatre of Pain" and side one sounds better than  I remembered

editedit: also, this is pretty cool:
    http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/Secrets_of_the_Masters_Looks_That_Kill_by_Mötley_Crüe
    last half of the article, the author throws the master tap of "Looks" onto the tape deck, and analyzes the tracks--some interesting stuff there

• mr_crowleymr_crowley Posts: 6,614
    [quote author=iGouger link=topic=16625.msg251675#msg251675 date=1407401009]
    [quote author=mr_crowley link=topic=16625.msg251623#msg251623 date=1407323260]

What the fuck does this thread do in the Non-Dino Area? :chuckle: :chuckle:

[/quote]

As for the placement of this thread, you can read my reasoning above. Basically, I thought that "Dinosaur Rock Guitar Heroes" only applies to those mentioned in "Alchemy" profiles or "Honorable Mentions," and Mick Mars doesn't fall in either category. Also, I don't read any threads here about Motley Crue, so I was kinda wondering what the general consensus on the band is here.

[/quote]

No worries, mate. I was just messing with you :wink:

[quote author=Agrippa link=topic=16625.msg251685#msg251685 date=1407416386]

I like Vince Neils solo album with Steve Stevens a LOT, and that's it for me regarding Motley Crue.

[/quote]

You should take Agrippa's advice and listen to Vince Neil's solo effort Exposed. It's like an even more muscular Crüe with a true gunslinger on guitar (Steve Stevens) and lot of great songs. Jack Blades and Tommy Shaw among others have helped write it. Awesome stuff, highly recommended :up:
  • madmaxmadmax Posts: 719
    Fuck!!!!  On Wed, I thought I posted, but must've clicked the Preview button.  I'll try to re-create what I said then, even though I had gotten cooked in my car.

I was originally going to post this in the albums vs singles vs greatest hits thread, but it seems to fit here.

I've been listening to the Crue albums on YT, and have listened to all them except for Shout at the Devil and the last one, Saints of Los Angeles.  I have concluded that MC are a band where you should get the albums.  To me, the singles don't seem as good.  More importantly, Mick comes across as much better player.

I have forgotten, but did Vince's voice get whinier as time went on, or is it just on the singles?  I didn't really notice on the non-single tracks.  Maybe that's an indication of these songs being better.

I thought I wouldn't like Dr Fg because I don't like the title track, but I did think it was pretty good.  I'm sure I liked the song Without You before this, but it doesn't seem to get as much airplay as ballads from other bands.

It also seemed that while listening to these albums, I gained a more positive opinion of the singles.

That being said,  I would recommend avoiding the self-titled album and Generation Swine.  New Tattoo had them returning to their original sound, but it still seemed a bit too modern-y for me.

I have gained a new appreciation for them, and will listen when their stuff comes on the radio.

Coincidentally, they played here last Sunday.
  • maybeyesmaybeyes Posts: 4,522
    A band where I like most of their catalogue including the self titled with Hooligan's Holiday. Never was interested in seeing them live, so not going to see them now.  A buddy has saw them several times and said the later shows were better than the earlier ones.  So if you are gonna see them, I guess now is the time.

Never mistake a clear view for a short distance.

• VenomboyVenomboy Posts: 3,601
    I saw them around 2000-ish and they were actually quite good sound and performance wise. Long story, but I got into the show free as a volunteer usher with a bunch of senior citizens.

They had the naughty nuns and schoolgirls on stage in various states of undress and the ushers were laughing and really into it! Tommy Lee was wearing a tiny leather-ish underwear-ish thing that I'd rather not have seen. But for my long distaste of the band, this showed that if they focus and are sober they can pull off a good show.

I'm not into good-time bands or party bands. I like my music dark, depressing, and in a minor key preferably. However, they were enjoyable and they do what they do very well.
    Ouch, madmax, I hate when that happens... thanks for sharing your thoughts despite that. I do agree that Vince Neil's voice seemed to get worse as their albums progressed. His singing on Too Fast for Love was wonderful--he could really scream those high notes and his timbre was quite pleasing too IMO (though this is of course subjective). His singing on Shout at the Devil was decent too, but I find myself appreciating his singing on their first album more. From there on, it only got worse IMO...

Venomboy, I also tend to not be as into party bands/glam metal as much, although I do love a small dose of it at times; there's a time and place for everything, aye?  :woohoo:

Motley Crue strikes me as an interesting mix, though. Because although they WERE a party band in terms of lifestyle and aesthetic, their musical sound was heavier that of their contemporaries (i.e. Leppard, Quiet Riot, Twisted Sister, and later Ratt, Dokken, Poison, Bon Jovi, etc...). Of all their contemporaries, Sykes-era Whitesnake were the only glam metal band that comes to mind who rivaled Motley Crue in heaviness. Someone here mentioned Nikki Sixx being influenced by the punk movement, and I certainly hear a lot of that in their songs, now that I think about it; however, I would say that the band members of Crue were generally better musicians than most punk musicians, at least the ones I've heard.
  • Also-
    I know nothing about that Vince Neal solo thing. I'd take a listen to that based on the posts here.

Also, I can't find it right now, but one of you mentioned WASP in a favorable way. I LOVED WASP when I was growing up. Had pictures of Blackie Lawless on my walls and swore I was going to marry him.  :LOL:

Once again, I'll reference The Dirt. I won't do a spoiler but there's a very brief and funny passage about Blackie Lawless in that book.
  • OskyOsky Posts: 1,056
    [quote author=guitarrednfeathered link=topic=16625.msg251814#msg251814 date=1407618277]
    Also-
    I know nothing about that Vince Neal solo thing. I'd take a listen to that based on the posts here.

[/quote] Despite my dislike for Crue, I really like Exposed mainly because of Steve Stevens input as I'm a huge fan of his and to Vince's credit he really encouraged Steve to let rip. Its well worth checking out!

Incidentally I read an interview with Steve a while back where he talked about touring as support to Van Halen in 1993. Turns out it was Eddie that pursuaded him to leave Vince's band and get back with Billy, stating something like "what are you doing playing with this schmuck?"
  • SirionSirion Posts: 3,115
    [quote author=iGouger link=topic=16625.msg251766#msg251766 date=1407535695]
    Motley Crue strikes me as an interesting mix, though. Because although they WERE a party band in terms of lifestyle and aesthetic, their musical sound was heavier that of their contemporaries (i.e. Leppard, Quiet Riot, Twisted Sister, and later Ratt, Dokken, Poison, Bon Jovi, etc...). Of all their contemporaries, Sykes-era Whitesnake were the only glam metal band that comes to mind who rivaled Motley Crue in heaviness.
    [/quote]

They're not nearly as well known, but I'd say that Rough Cutt, along with a few other, arguably non-glam bands (Icon, Malice), were a lot heavier than Crüe and the more mainstream bands.
  • [quote author=Osky link=topic=16625.msg251836#msg251836 date=1407660822]

[/quote] Despite my dislike for Crue, I really like Exposed mainly because of Steve Stevens input as I'm a huge fan of his and to Vince's credit he really encouraged Steve to let rip. Its well worth checking out!

Incidentally I read an interview with Steve a while back where he talked about touring as support to Van Halen in 1993. Turns out it was Eddie that pursuaded him to leave Vince's band and get back with Billy, stating something like "what are you doing playing with this schmuck?"
    [/quote]
    Ha! Poor Vince.
    Well I am a HUGE fan of Steve Stevens. It would be shocking to hear something from him and discover that I didn't like it. Before my current avatar, I had him for months.  :pleased:
  • jebbuddajebbudda Posts: 5,030
    I read the THE DIRT and recommend it .

It gave me a new respect for Frank Ferrana...I mean Nikki Six . I hope he knows how LUCKY he really is .

IMHO Tommy Lee is the only guy that really knew how to play . Mick Mars was #2 . Turns out Nikki Six didn't know the difference between a guitar and a bass . He was gonna make it or die tryin' . Its a wonder he's not dead . Vince .... " If he had tits I'd marry him " .

I hope the movie does the book justice . :metal: