Motley Crue?

Comments

• whoopass1whoopass1 Posts: 1,395
    I remember years ago reading a review for Motley Crue's "Too Fast For Love" Album in Circus Magazine. The description of the band was that: "They look like Kiss and sound like Van Halen", two of my all-time favorite bands. So I RAN out and bought the record.

The reviewer was half-right. They did look kinda like Kiss, but sounded NOTHING like Van Halen........and I can't tell You how disappointed I was :crap:
  • iGougeriGouger Posts: 283
    [quote author=Vandenberg link=topic=16625.msg251558#msg251558 date=1407190500]
    Strange things going on at the DRG, Motley Crue in NON dino area, and Robert Cray in Dinosaur rock guitarists, have we been hacked or the mods have all been uploaded with a brain fade virus  :biggrin2: :biggrin2: :biggrin2:
    [/quote]
    I apologize if I posted in the wrong area, but my assumption was that the "Dinosaur Rock Guitar Heroes" subsection only applied to guitarists who were profiled on this site. I also don't see much (or any) stuff about Motley Crue get posted here, so my thought process was that they're not classified as "dino" material." Should I have posted this elsewhere?  :ohwell:

[quote author=whoopass1 link=topic=16625.msg251565#msg251565 date=1407197371]
    I remember years ago reading a review for Motley Crue's "Too Fast For Love" Album in Circus Magazine. The description of the band was that: "They look like Kiss and sound like Van Halen", two of my all-time favorite bands. So I RAN out and bought the record.

The reviewer was half-right. They did look kinda like Kiss, but sounded NOTHING like Van Halen........and I can't tell You how disappointed I was :crap:
    [/quote]
    Hmm, I definitely wouldn't draw comparisons between Crue and Van Halen. For starters, I don't hear any of Eddie's phrasings, especially tapping, in Mick's playing, and their tones sound nothing alike. Rhythmically, Mick's riffs are more straightforward and on the beat, like in "Looks that Kill" or "Shout at the Devil," whereas Eddie liked to syncopate his 8th and 16th notes, like in "I'm the One." I really dunno what that reviewer was thinking.  :036: I hear a more Sabbath-influenced sound in Motley Crue than a Van Halen one, particularly when it comes to Mick's penchant for Drop-D riffs.

Oh yeah, I've finished listening to Dr. Feelgood. Probably my favorite album of theirs since Shout at the Devil.
  • [quote author=iGouger link=topic=16625.msg251568#msg251568 date=1407202173]

I apologize if I posted in the wrong area, but my assumption was that the "Dinosaur Rock Guitar Heroes" subsection only applied to guitarists who were profiled on this site. I also don't see much (or any) stuff about Motley Crue get posted here, so my thought process was that they're not classified as "dino" material." Should I have posted this elsewhere?  :ohwell:

[/quote]

Meh. Don't worry, Dude. If you do something to piss off the powers that be they'll be sure to let you know. I think you're safe for now.  :smile:

And yeah... whomever compared them to Van Halen was either a complete idiot, or was doing a shit ton of drugs at the time.  :rolleyes:
  • SnoogansSnoogans Posts: 1,670
    Love the Crue!  :ohyeah:
    It always bugged me that assholes in guitar magazines would take every opportunity to knock Mick Mars' playing. (Like he cared, while he was playing arenas or hip-deep in coke and hookers  :biggrin2:)
    He may not be a virtuoso shredder, but I challenge anyone to find a player with a meaner guitar tone!
  • mr_crowleymr_crowley Posts: 6,614
    I hold Dr. Feelgood as one of the best album (if not the best) of it's genre - good time rock n' roll. That is what Mötley always did best.
    Everything up 'til that album is pretty much hit or miss for me - they've done some really awesome songs and some pretty cringeworthy ones.

Mick's guitar playing is indeed one of the things that I always liked about the band. He has a really thick and cool tone. It also got better and better as the band progressed.
    What I like most about them though is Lee's drumming. He is my favourite. He got such a "driving" drumming, as he is playing right on the edge of the beat forcing the song to move forward and never dropping the tempo. I love that!

And at last... What the fuck does this thread do in the Non-Dino Area? :chuckle: :chuckle:
  • HaffnerHaffner Posts: 7,887
    I love the song "Live Wire", and the album Shout at the Devil is actually kind of cool...very fun with a Kiss-commerciality yet cryogenically switch-bladed eevill dark sound (can't decide whether they achieved the latter deliberately...judging by their lyrical Weltanschauung  I'm guessing it was by accident). I've always wondered why they picked Neil to sing when there were plenty of great singers all over the world, and being that Crue were the mostly-MTV-created sensation could have yielded them someone, well, better. But there's a charm to the guitar sound on Shout at the Devil, and I think at least one song on there (my vote would be the Screaming for Priest British "Bastard") is a stone cold classic imo. That song's first minute is pretty gripping...try listening to it when you haven't for years.
  • maybeyesmaybeyes Posts: 4,522
    I agree that Dr Feelgood was their best effort, but like Poison I love the Crues first album Too Fast For Love as well.  Shout at the Devil was good and a step forward, but there is something about that first album that always draws me back.  Not sure if it is the order or what, but regardless of how good Dr Feelgood is I always reach for Too Fast For Love first then Dr Feelgood and Shout at the Devil.  I also liked the self titled album with Corabi.  The problem was they departed from what everyone expected and it killed a really good album that could have been the best crue album.  Just like Accept the flop was that the product was too different than people expected.  Couldn't sell it to the fans and those who were not fans did not want to see it anyway.

Never mistake a clear view for a short distance.

• cvansicklecvansickle Posts: 6,208
    I always liked how the songs on the first album had no gaps between them. This gave the music a sense of urgency. More punk than metal to my ears. I always liked "Public Enemy #1" best from this set.
    Death Or Glory - Who Dares Wins!
  • Actually the early remnants of Motley Crue just edged out MTV. They were about neck and neck I guess, but the process of putting this band together happened before Video Killed The Radio Star aired. They knew Vince from around the LA music scene and noted (wisely) that wherever he went, there were tons of girls that followed. If you were an infant 80's band trying to figure it all out, you'd be wise to have picked a Vince Neal too.  :036: And I don't really know that they were aiming for traditional Rock vocals as Nikki Sixx was had interest in the punk rock movement. If you ask them, I think they'd say that they were just aiming to be Motley Crue. Mick Mars was definitely a Rock influenced guy and worshiped Jeff Beck and so forth but I think they were just going for whatever worked for them at the time in order move things forward to the next level. A "hot" blond lead singer who attracted tons of girls was part of the formula for them.

They were admirably relentless. *that's an understatement.

Incidentally, I friggin' LOVE the Dr. Feelgood album.

• LerxstFanLerxstFan Posts: 4,698
    Vince and Tommy were school mates as well, if I remember right
  • iGougeriGouger Posts: 283
    [quote author=mr_crowley link=topic=16625.msg251623#msg251623 date=1407323260]Mick's guitar playing is indeed one of the things that I always liked about the band. He has a really thick and cool tone. It also got better and better as the band progressed.
    What I like most about them though is Lee's drumming. He is my favourite. He got such a "driving" drumming, as he is playing right on the edge of the beat forcing the song to move forward and never dropping the tempo. I love that!

And at last... What the fuck does this thread do in the Non-Dino Area? :chuckle: :chuckle:
    [/quote]
    I love Mick Mars' playing! And listening to all their stuff, I really get the feeling that Tommy Lee is a GREAT drummer... one of the greats.

As for the placement of this thread, you can read my reasoning above. Basically, I thought that "Dinosaur Rock Guitar Heroes" only applies to those mentioned in "Alchemy" profiles or "Honorable Mentions," and Mick Mars doesn't fall in either category. Also, I don't read any threads here about Motley Crue, so I was kinda wondering what the general consensus on the band is here.

That being said, I really think Mick Mars deserves at least an honorable mention here; as Joebuddha mentioned, I would also take him over many of the guys profiled on alchemy on this site. So far, I love all of his playing. And I plan to continue listening to Crue's full discography until I've heard it all...
  • SnoogansSnoogans Posts: 1,670
    [quote author=iGouger link=topic=16625.msg251675#msg251675 date=1407401009]
    I really get the feeling that Tommy Lee is a GREAT drummer... one of the greats.
    [/quote]

Tommy is criminally under-rated. I assume that the drumming community views him in the same way that "serious" guitar pundits see Mick Mars.
    But then again, he does have an unfortunate fondness for hip-hop...
  • [quote author=Snoogans link=topic=16625.msg251676#msg251676 date=1407404224]

But then again, he does have an unfortunate fondness for hip-hop...
    [/quote]

:roll: :roll: :roll:
    Well, I just think he has a historic attraction to all things Hollywood and since Rap and Hip Hop have become such a big deal he's naturally drawn to it.

As I said in my initial post, I believe Tommy Lee to be the most proficient on his individual instrument in Motley Crue. And I have always (even before I was a fan of this band) gotten the sense that he has indeed been respected for his playing. So perhaps it's just here on this forum that we tend to overlook it or underrate it?

Incidentally, his first instrument was guitar when he was growing up. He knew it would get him chicks.  :tongue:

*Mick Mars? As I said earlier, he is the most endearing of all four guys. (after reading The Dirt ) And I have nothing bad to say about his playing, I just am so accustomed to hearing examples of our Dino heroes who really do smoke him, that I can't defend his playing as one of the greats.  :036: I also love his tone and love that his playing is in the right place.

I am really  happy that this thread is here! I have meaning to start a Motley Crue thread for about 8 months. So thanks!  :up:

A lot of it will fall on deaf ears here, but we're not here to impress eachother. We're just here to talk about music.

• AgrippaAgrippa Posts: 5,926
    I really liked and like, just haven' t listened to lately, their two first albums. After "Shout..." I got the feeling they had delivered what they had, musically and I didn't listen to their newer records.

Having said that, I think Mick Mars is quite underappreciated. To Me He is like the Billy Gibson of Glam Metal.
    Never overplays and are grooving quite well most of the time.

I like Vince Neils solo album with Steve Stevens a LOT, and that's it for me regarding Motley Crue.

I saw Motley Crue at Wacken a couple of years ago. I felt so sorry for them, they were embarresingly and horrendously awful. Vince Neils didn' t do vocals, he mostly sheirked and wheezed through the numbers, and they were so untight. It basically sounded like an 80 year old lady with C.O.P.D. in her death throes.

The year after I saw WASP on the same stage, and they looked and felt like 18 year olds on top of their game compared to Crue.

But I'll allways have the fondest memories of me and my best friend sitting in his or my room at our parents, headbanging to Shout, AC/DC, Purple, BOC, Sabbath, MC5 or whatever.

Crues "Shout..." will always be a big part of my personal soundtrack growing up.
    That's why I'll always love that album.

Crue as a band ? Not so much.
  • jebbuddajebbudda Posts: 5,030
    When I saw them live they were wasted ...and I mean wasted .

The first 20 minutes was nothing but static . Back in those days City Island allowed people to bring coolers which provided the beer bottle ammo we launched at the stage . :fu: