Women and the guitar.

2»

Comments

• [quote author=eduardoritos link=topic=16519.msg250193#msg250193 date=1403782106]
    I think the problem with women are (as in other bussyness) maternity. Building a career is a long term investment of time and money for a record/management company, and they can thing that a women could tend to stop some time in the best moment of a rock musician the 25-35 years.

[/quote]

Because male guitar players/musicians aren't a risk to abruptly stop making music due to unforeseen circumstances.

Jimmy Hendrix
    Jim Morrison
    Phil Lynott
    Bon Scott
    Elvis Presley
    John Bonham
    Keith Relf
    Duanne Allman
    Keith Moon
    Tommy Bolin
    Andy Gibb
    Sid Vicious
    Dimebag Darrel
    Curt Cobain
    Alan Wilson
    Rory Storm
    Gary Thain
    Hillel Slovak
    Danny Gatton
    Bobby Sheehan
    Cliff Burton
    Ray Gillan
    Ronnie Van Zant
    Randy Rhoads
    Buddy Holly

Should I go on?
    Yeah, giving a female musician a contract is risky, cause ya know.... babies...
  • jebbuddajebbudda Posts: 5,030
    Jaye Foucher .....graduated top of her class at Berkley .  :up:

Sheryl Bailey . Bad ass player . Living in NYC she currently leans toward a Scofield/Jazz style . Hopefully she'll get some recognition . That girl can play !
  • guitardguitard Posts: 159
    [quote author=Dinosaur David B link=topic=16519.msg249992#msg249992 date=1403347753]
    You have Nancy Wilson ... who can play rings around most guys.[/quote]
    I am a diehard fan of early Heart since the release of the first album.  Nancy is a fine player, especially on the acoustic.  But I just can't agree about her being able to play rings around most guys.  I've seen Heart in concert three or four times in the last ten years, and she only plays an occasional lead, and even then, they are usually very short fills.  And she's not laying back because the other guitarist Craig Bartock is some kind of virtuoso.  I have literally cringed at times listening to Bartock trying to pull off some of Roger Fisher's original solos - and he's been in the band since 2004 - so it's not like he hasn't had a chance to learn them.  And yes, I realize that it's not fair to judge a guy only on how well he can play another guy's iconic and rather tricky guitar licks.  Bartock is in the band mainly for his song writing, production, and arrangement skills; as well as being a good guy who is easy to get along with.  His guitar playing skills come after all those others.  But Heart doesn't need (nor want) a stud guitar player, because the focus is on the Wilson sisters, not the support musicians.

Just my 2 cent's worth  :guitar:
  • inmyhandsinmyhands Posts: 11,668
    "Because male guitar players/musicians aren't a risk to abruptly stop making music due to unforeseen circumstances.

Jimmy Hendrix
    Jim Morrison
    Phil Lynott
    Bon Scott
    Elvis Presley
    John Bonham
    Keith Relf
    Duanne Allman
    Keith Moon
    Tommy Bolin
    Andy Gibb
    Sid Vicious
    Dimebag Darrel
    Curt Cobain
    Alan Wilson
    Rory Storm
    Gary Thain
    Hillel Slovak
    Danny Gatton
    Bobby Sheehan
    Cliff Burton
    Ray Gillan
    Ronnie Van Zant
    Randy Rhoads
    Buddy Holly

Should I go on?
    Yeah, giving a female musician a contract is risky, cause ya know.... babies..."

Super Post! :up:
  • AgrippaAgrippa Posts: 5,962
    Orianthi.

"Led ... ? Led who, you say ?"

But the "Rainbow in the Dark cover" is OK imo.

Sheryl Bailey got a feature in GP magazine this month !!!!!!
  • inmyhandsinmyhands Posts: 11,668
            I've always wondered why more girls don't take up the electric guitar in that 9 to 13 years of age bracket like so many boys do.  When I used to teach maybe one out of eight students was a young girl. Of interest ..... The little ladies, on average, picked up on what I was teaching faster than the boys did.
            I took note that the girls in this age bracket had longer slimmer fingers than their male counterparts. This was a plus and a minus. The ladies had an easier time learning open chord forms while the boys did better with bar chords. The ladies were faster on the fretboard and picked up sweeping and alternate picking in a shorter time than the boys did. The boys, on the other hand, mastered hammer-ons, pull-offs and bends quicker than the girls. I came to think of the difference as dexterity, (the girls), vs. finger strength, (the boys).
            In this age bracket the girls seemed to think faster and understand concepts quicker than the little dudes, but, the guys had something else on their side that pushed them harder than the girls. Peer pressure. A boy that played electric guitar was considered super by his friends and school mates. A girl that played electric guitar was looked at as an oddball or "tom boy". Other girls didn't support her the way other guys supported their electric guitar playing buddies. Friends of her own sex ignored her guitar skills. If she got any support at all it was from boy peers who openly admitted they were astounded a girl to play like that. The boys thought her electric guitar skills were wonderful. They didn't seem to think it made her boyish. Girls, on the other hand, did seem to think their female friend that played electric guitar was being boyish. Boys were on the little ladies side. Her girl friends were the ones that gave her grief.
          The handful of young girls that stayed with my lessons into their middle teens were almost all better than their male counterparts. That said .... again .... the 1 to 8 ratio.
          I know we've got other guitar teachers here who have stayed the course and continue to teach today. I stopped a long time ago. Consider my time the late '60s through mid '80s. I wonder if any of what I'd noted at the time still remains or has time altered / changed / corrected some of these issues?
  • [quote author=inmyhands link=topic=16519.msg250355#msg250355 date=1404082651]

Consider my time the late '60s through mid '80s. I wonder if any of what I'd noted at the time still remains or has time altered / changed / corrected some of these issues?
    [/quote]

Your whole post was good, Rick.
    And yeah, all that crap absolutely exists today. There is much discussion about trying to change the holes into which girls become pigeoned but alas, humanity has made some very deep grooves. Likewise, there is also a large faction of concerned citizens regarding the pressures and stereotypes with which boys are conditioned.  :tongue:
    Peace and love, man. Can we all just learn to get along and respect one another?
  • Gunner4LifeGunner4Life Posts: 6,320
    The issue with female guitar players isn't with the guitar player, it's the assholes in society. Nobody can just call it like it is, either they make a huge deal out of the fact that the guitarist is female, and automatically proclaim her to be far better than she is, like Orianthi, who is a great player but she's not the best female player alive and doesn't do anything mind blowing, OR they automatically dismiss them as nothing but eye candy, even when they are great players... Female guitarists can't just be GUITARISTS, and in the hard rock/metal world, the same holds true for all women, it's always female this and female that, Angela couldn't just be the lead vocalist in Arch Enemy, nope, they had to point out she was the female lead vocalist any chance they got, because ya know, women in hard rock/metal are only supposed to be extra's in Motley Crue videos.

• maybeyesmaybeyes Posts: 4,522
    [quote author=Gunner4Life link=topic=16519.msg251192#msg251192 date=1406473428]
    The issue with female guitar players isn't with the guitar player, it's the assholes in society. Nobody can just call it like it is, either they make a huge deal out of the fact that the guitarist is female, and automatically proclaim her to be far better than she is, like Orianthi, who is a great player but she's not the best female player alive and doesn't do anything mind blowing, OR they automatically dismiss them as nothing but eye candy, even when they are great players... Female guitarists can't just be GUITARISTS, and in the hard rock/metal world, the same holds true for all women, it's always female this and female that, Angela couldn't just be the lead vocalist in Arch Enemy, nope, they had to point out she was the female lead vocalist any chance they got, because ya know, women in hard rock/metal are only supposed to be extra's in Motley Crue videos.
    [/quote]
    Totally agree Gunner.  Orianthi is good enuff to keep up with Santana and Vai which in my books is quite the accomplishment.  No she is not the best, but still a very good guitarist with some catchy tunes and getting better with each new album.

Never mistake a clear view for a short distance.

• madmaxmadmax Posts: 719
    You all should check out the all-female band from Japan called Show-Ya.  Be aware though, that the first song I checked out on YT sounded a bit more like you would expect when you hear the terms "Japanese" and "all-female".  The other stuff I listened to kicked ass.  This is REAL metal.  I recall some songs to check out are Fairy and one with VS in the title.
  • [quote author=Gunner4Life link=topic=16519.msg251192#msg251192 date=1406473428]

[/quote]
    +1, and it would be +2 if we were allowed.
    Get ready to burn your guitars . :shock:

This girl is 16 and been playing TWO YEARS !

• The SeekerThe Seeker Posts: 612
    Jeb

Jezzy is making quite a name for herself and shes getting better all the time.

This is just around the same time and in a live studio environment where her confidence is obviously higher .  Shes a huge George Benson fan and maybe that's the type of music for her going forward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWoZyeW9ndU&list=PL009B42740E0B12E8&index=5

She has also been playing with jazz/fusion guy Alex Hutchings, who if you statesiders don't know, is another UK player who can most certainly live with Guthrie.  Heres him playing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZGjMPiKjlg