Riffs 'N Solos that Rip You a New Ass

Comments

• SkyeSkye Posts: 1,661
    Loudness - Crazy Nights - Such a huge sounding riff, so heavy - great fun to play with some nice palm muting and that cool half step between F# and G.

Accept - Balls To The Wall - another uber heavy, chunky riff that's just tons of fun to play.

Dokken - Unchain The Night and In My Dreams - again, just lots of fun to play, sounds great - nice flatted fifth chords and low down chunking on the open low E string. Some awesome fills on these tunes too, especially on UTN when he does that awesome whammy bar phrasing fill after the first chorus.

Scorpions - No One Like You - love that main riff - and the beginning licks and the solo are just awesome examples of the genius playing of Mathias Jabs. Huge, step and a half bends and sick vibrato.  :shred:

Crazy Train and I Don't Know - two of my favorites to play - that cool intro to the live version of CT that starts on the F# root 5th chord at the 9th fret of the A string -  sounds so good, and I Don't Know is amazing for the main riff against the open A pedal tone, not to mention the cool way Randy plays that chimey sounding broken chord during the chorus that comes after he hits that big G major chord and lets it ring for two beats.  :metal:

The Boys Are Back In Town - love the main riff and the guitar harmonies are a blast.

There are so many more, but that'll do for now.  :biggrin2:

• Mike_HMike_H Posts: 769
    Thin Lizzy - Cold Sweat, I know it is not the classic line up, but I love this one, solo is great too.
    Ted Nugent - Stranglehold - Don't like Ted much, but this is great.
    Whitesnake - Crying in the Rain, I love the slow grind here, and on the Sykes version, the solo is exceptional, I can play only the first few seconds of it, but maybe someday....
    Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, got to be one of my favourite riffs, ever.
    Black Sabbath - Snowblind, same as above, really just about anything by Black Sabbath just makes you feel good when you play it on guitar.
    Lots more, but that is enough for now.
  • Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,452
    George Lynch-Into The Fire, Kiss Of Death(riffs and solos), Heaven Sent

Brad Gillis-Don't Tell Me You Love Me

Jake E Lee- All solos in Rock N Roll Rebel, WInter's Call
  • Black RoseBlack Rose Posts: 208
    [quote author=Skye link=topic=16397.msg248552#msg248552 date=1399393636]
    Loudness - Crazy Nights - Such a huge sounding riff, so heavy - great fun to play with some nice palm muting and that cool half step between F# and G.

Accept - Balls To The Wall - another uber heavy, chunky riff that's just tons of fun to play.

Dokken - Unchain The Night and In My Dreams - again, just lots of fun to play, sounds great - nice flatted fifth chords and low down chunking on the open low E string. Some awesome fills on these tunes too, especially on UTN when he does that awesome whammy bar phrasing fill after the first chorus.

Scorpions - No One Like You - love that main riff - and the beginning licks and the solo are just awesome examples of the genius playing of Mathias Jabs. Huge, step and a half bends and sick vibrato.  :shred:

Crazy Train and I Don't Know - two of my favorites to play - that cool intro to the live version of CT that starts on the F# root 5th chord at the 9th fret of the A string -  sounds so good, and I Don't Know is amazing for the main riff against the open A pedal tone, not to mention the cool way Randy plays that chimey sounding broken chord during the chorus that comes after he hits that big G major chord and lets it ring for two beats.  :metal:

The Boys Are Back In Town - love the main riff and the guitar harmonies are a blast.

There are so many more, but that'll do for now.  :biggrin2:

[/quote]

That was cool to read, the point of the thread was to find out what stuff you play on the guitar that gives you a rush, and not what you listen to that gives you that rush. Awesome call for Unchain The Night's riff with the b5, that is a tight meaty riff. Crazy Train is a shitload of fun to play especially the chorus!
  • VenomboyVenomboy Posts: 3,601
    Riffs:

Megadeth:
    Holy Wars, The Conjuring, Sleepwalker, Devil's Island, Take No Prisoners

Slayer:
    Angel of Death, Raining Blood, War Ensemble

Iron Maiden:
    Powerslave, 2 Minutes to Midnight, Aces High, Where Eagles Dare

Anthrax:
    A Skeleton in the Closet, Among the Living

SOD:
    Freddy Krueger

Dio:
    Don't Talk to Strangers

Solos:

Iron Maiden:
    Powerslave, Aces High

Ozzy:
    Bark at the Moon
  • [quote author=Venomboy link=topic=16397.msg248584#msg248584 date=1399484896]
    Riffs:

Megadeth:
    Holy Wars, The Conjuring, Sleepwalker, Devil's Island, Take No Prisoners

Slayer:
    Angel of Death, Raining Blood, War Ensemble

Iron Maiden:
    Powerslave, 2 Minutes to Midnight, Aces High, Where Eagles Dare

Anthrax:
    A Skeleton in the Closet, Among the Living

SOD:
    Freddy Krueger

Dio:
    Don't Talk to Strangers

[/quote]

Nice!

I'll add some riffs too..

Slayer:
    Angel Of Death, 213, Live Undead, World Painted Blood, War Ensemble

Megadeth:
    Take No Prisoners, Wake Up Dead, Set The World Afire, Killing Is My Business, Bad Omen

Cynic:
    Veil Of Maya, The Space For This

Forbidden:
    Through Eyes Of Glass

King Diamond:
    At The Graves, Sleepless Nights

Kreator:
    When The Sun Burns Red, Agents of Brutality
  • VenomboyVenomboy Posts: 3,601
    Oooh, forgot the KING!

Welcome Home, Abigail, The Invisible Guests. Great Megadeth choices too!
    How could I forget these riffs:

Accept-Restless And Wild, Breaker, Balls To The Wall

Black Sabbath-Symptom of The Universe, Zero The Hero
  • jebbuddajebbudda Posts: 5,030
    The outro riffs from Megadeath's POLARIS are my idea of a " ripping " riff . LOVE that stuff . :metal:

The solo that rips all solos ? Gary Moore : Toughest Street in Town . I don't believe anybody has come close to topping that IMHO . :cool:
  • RoadRacerXRoadRacerX Posts: 843
    Forgot one of the songs I usually play when warming up. Free Ride by Edgar Winter! Man, I just love that opening riff. I figured it out about 15 years ago. I've seen tab for this song that is incorrect. I've seen Edgar with Rick Derringer do it live, so I know I'm doing it right. One of my buddies who can pretty much out-solo me in every way can't play this riff, even after I've showed him. Haha!
    [quote author=jebbudda link=topic=16397.msg248616#msg248616 date=1399533251]
    The outro riffs from Megadeath's POLARIS are my idea of a " ripping " riff . LOVE that stuff . :metal:

The solo that rips all solos ? Gary Moore : Toughest Street in Town . I don't believe anybody has come close to topping that IMHO . :cool:
    [/quote]

Megadeth had so many great ones especially on 'Peace Sells...', 'So Far So Good..' and 'Rust In Peace'. I always love the beginning of "Wake Up Dead", and pretty much everything in "The Conjuring".
  • Black RoseBlack Rose Posts: 208
    [quote author=Duojett71 link=topic=16397.msg248711#msg248711 date=1399682757]
    [quote author=jebbudda link=topic=16397.msg248616#msg248616 date=1399533251]

[/quote]

Megadeth had so many great ones especially on 'Peace Sells...', 'So Far So Good..' and 'Rust In Peace'. I always love the beginning of "Wake Up Dead", and pretty much everything in "The Conjuring".
    [/quote]

I agree with all of that, Dave churned out some amazing riffs in that era. But also fit them in the context of awesome songs. If Dave could play lead guitar like Chris Poland or Marty Friedman, he would surely have had a near flawless Alchemy profile.
  • Cold hearted would be one,  The shed intro and riff,, Bad boys....a couple of others 
  • HaffnerHaffner Posts: 7,887
    edited March 14
    I still have the same old butt, so I guess that hasn't happened.

Solos that rock me over and over (just a few):

Don't Take Me For a Loser and Shapes of Things (Gary Moore We Want Moore)
    Black Rose (Lizzy)
    Over and Over, Warning, Heart Like a Wheel, War Pigs (Tony Iommi)
    Sinner's Swing, Somebody Get Me a Doctor, Mean Streets intro (EVH)
    Gates of Babylon, MIJ Highway Star, Stargazer, Knockin' at Your Back Door (Ritchie)
    Fade to Black, Ride the Lightning (Hammett)
    Eerie Inhabitants, New Order, Over the Wall (Skolnick)
    A Fine Day to Die (Bathory...crudely executed but those solos bring chills every time)
    Flying High Again, Mr. Crowley (Rhoads)
    Why, I'm a River, I'll Be There, Catch Your Train, Life's a River, Fire Wind, Tokyo Tapes' We'll Burn the Sky (Uli)
    Balls to the Wall, Stalingrad, Metal Heart (Wolf)
    Freewheel Burning, Beyond the Realms of Death, Savage (Priest)

Lately I've discovered and liked a couple of solos by Lynch Kiss of Death and a recent one with Oni Logan I can't remember the title. I was always a casual fan of Dokken and not particularly big on Lynch but my girl likes him and I have more appreciation.

Post edited by Haffner on
  • SnoogansSnoogans Posts: 1,670
    A killer riff that has become a firm favourite of mine is Ghost's Rats.
    It's my current go to every time I pick up a guitar!