Saw Sir Elton John last night

Smoking GunsSmoking Guns Posts: 4,547
edited December 1969 in Off topic/NON-DINO Music Area
What an amazing show. And he is 66. The whole band was great and Davey Johnstone played great. He mainly played Les Paul's but did bust out a double neck and a reverse V that most here hated. Lol. Excellent show. Voice still great.

Comments

• HaffnerHaffner Posts: 7,886
    ELTON! :up: Wish I could see him.

Love Davey Johnstone, very envious.
  • His voice is much lower these days than it was in the 70s, but he and his band are still great.
    In the midst of the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.
  • Smoking GunsSmoking Guns Posts: 4,547
    Yes. It is lower but still works. Levon, Our Song, Saturday Night, even his new songs were pretty good. So many hits. A real professional show. Such pros. Original drummer too. Cool to see.
  • pprovostpprovost Posts: 2,636
    Were 2Cellos touring with him in the show you saw?
    I think sometimes if you try to play too technically, you lose something in the music - like you're playing for another guitar player. I like to play for people. The more sophisticated and mature guitarists become, the more they go with the feel.

- Ritchie Blackmore

• Smoking GunsSmoking Guns Posts: 4,547
    No opening band. Just him for 3 hours.
  • mr_crowleymr_crowley Posts: 6,614
    Sounds great!

One of those I would really love to catch if/when they swing by Sweden, but then there is the money/time aspect too.

Love to hear you enjoyed it though :up:
  • The SeekerThe Seeker Posts: 600
    I must have seen Elton a dozen times.  Was a member of his 'Rocket Fan Club' and that used to get me tickets in the first 2 or 3 rows for virtually all the shows I saw.

You can keep the Beatles and Elvis etc., but EJ for me is the ultimate songster.

Doesn't matter whether its stadiums, theatres or clubs.  

Doesn't matter if he's solo, with Ray Cooper, with a trio or a full band.

He is just an astonishing performer.  50 years of wonderful material and he's still writing it today.

It's ironic that, guitar music is my obsession, but Elton is still the most important person in my musical history.