50 Years Ago Today

pprovostpprovost Posts: 2,636
There are certain days in history that are turning points. Days that, for those who were present, are collective memories we never forget. Today marks the 50th anniversary of the day that the Beatles first appeared on the Ed Sullivan show back in 1964. The musical landscape changed forever (for people in the new world at least, as the UK was already aware of them) and Beatlemania took hold.

I will always remember being glued to the TV set stunned by the sight and sounds of the Fab Four for the first time. Teenage girls were screaming so loud that you could barely hear the music over them, but it didn't matter. Rock and Roll was here to stay...

:clap:
Post edited by Haffner on
I think sometimes if you try to play too technically, you lose something in the music - like you're playing for another guitar player. I like to play for people. The more sophisticated and mature guitarists become, the more they go with the feel.

- Ritchie Blackmore

Comments

• Duojett71Duojett71 Posts: 9,452
    I remember the impact they had on me at a young age. I remember discovering them at the age of 4 or 5…..finding my Mom's copy of 'Hey Jude'. I couldn't stop playing it…. I don't think there was a more influential musical act ever….
  • cvansicklecvansickle Posts: 6,203
    Often I wish I had been a teenager at the time of Beatlemania. I was 1 when they first played Ed Sullivan. I'm sure it was past my bedtime!

Imagine the excitement in high schools across the country 50 years ago TODAY (Monday morning) - the kids were freaking out with excitement, the faculties were all "oh, shit!"
    Death Or Glory - Who Dares Wins!
  • HaffnerHaffner Posts: 7,886
    I think I agree with Blackmore (paraphrase): "in a couple of hundred years there's only one band that will still be remembered for this whole Rock era thing". Even Hendrix drew from the well.
  • AgrippaAgrippa Posts: 5,926
    [quote author=Haffner link=topic=16122.msg244832#msg244832 date=1392044848]
    I think I agree with Blackmore (paraphrase): "in a couple of hundred years there's only one band that will still be remembered for this whole Rock era thing". Even Hendrix drew from the well.
    [/quote]

I'm not so sure. Bach was not only obscure, he was forgotten until a young music nerd/composer called Felix Mendelsohn started raving about him.
    And today Bach is universally considered one of the absolutely best western composers ever

Who knows if there won't be a young music nerd in 2323 that discoveres Black Sabbath, or Purple ?

Me and the Beatles ? I'm sorry. I know they are cannonized as geniuses, but ... Well it was music my folks enjoyed, and that was that.
    I didn' t care too much about James Last or Perry Como either. I love Eleanor Rigby though, thats the one Beatles song I can stand.
    In the three minute pop format I believe there's a bunch of writers who were/are way better than Lennon/Mccartney.

Up Up and Away (The 5th Dimension), Downtown (Petula Clark), Walking In The Rain (The Ronettes), I Walk The Line (Johnny Cash)  are all pop hits from the Beatlemania era that imo are way better songwriting than Please Please Me or I Wanna Hold Your Hand or any other Lennon/Macca song.

Downtown:
    Surfer Girl: 
    Walking In The Rain 
    Up Up And Away 

Up Up And Away is admittedly from 67 and as such not from the Beatlemania period, but it is imo better writing than any Beatles song.
    Jimmy Webb is a national american treasure.

That' s just me, and what do I know ? but fortunately I am still allowed an opinion.
  • HaffnerHaffner Posts: 7,886
    Well, I'm not the biggest Beatles fan myself, but I must admit that songs like the mentioned ER, Day in the Life, Strawberry Fields Forever, the mini-suite toward the end of Abbey Road, Tomorrow Never Knows...mind blowingly creative and original imo. I love those songs, and I'm a sucker for simple tracks like All You Need is Love as well.

But hey, Beethoven's late string quartets were in his day considered to be the product of a miserably sick, deaf man who basically went crazy; today they're recognized by many musicologists as the greatest compositions in Occidental history. Mozart died a pauper, and never achieved in his day the acclaim of his far more famous musical hero, Joseph Haydn. We all know which of those composers that people are more familiar with today, though the fact remains Haydn invented and perfected the musical forms Mozart (and even early Beethoven) wrote within.

So yes, DP and BS might just be alive and well in 2214, particularly considering how they each pretty much invented the Neo-Classical/Power Metal and Doom/Stoner Metal genres respectively.